PDA

View Full Version : Expecting the Unexpected

Phantom Warrior
12-17-2014, 03:08 AM
Kudos have gone out to Luke, Duane, JJJ, Juan, and so forth, but the real kudos should also go to Wojo........for numerous reasons.

But one reason stands out for me, one that I absolutely love. This is twice that he has completely caught an opponent off guard with an unexpected game plan.

The first time was obviously the Georgia Tech game when he unveiled a zone defense after playing almost exclusively man the previous games.

And last night everyone expected more zone. But he had the team play almost exclusively man.

In short, he has game-planned differently for different opponents. No question the addition of Luke was a major factor in his thinking. But my point is this. Wojo is showing that he is FLEXIBLE!

And he is also showing that he can teach his players how to execute his game plans. MU played very good - I would even call it excellent - zone defense against UW. Yet tonight the team played very solid man defense.

And even in terms of how the team played zone, his game plan has been adjusted for the individual opponent.

Wojo himself mentioned in an interview or press conference, this team would need to be able to throw fast balls, curve balls, change ups, even the occasional knuckleball. So far, he's shown he can effectively game plan.

MulliganMusings
12-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Well said Phantom.

IrwinFletcher
12-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Last night also proved how important it is to have a 6'11" shot blocker guarding the goal. He blocked 5, swatted away 2 more after foul calls and changed many other shots. On top of that, he knew when was a good time to go for the block and when it was a good time to just stand there with arms extended. Really high IQ for Fischer for a guy who has played all of 14 collegiate games.

MUMac
12-17-2014, 08:41 AM
Last night also proved how important it is to have a 6'11" shot blocker guarding the goal. He blocked 5, swatted away 2 more after foul calls and changed many other shots. On top of that, he knew when was a good time to go for the block and when it was a good time to just stand there with arms extended. Really high IQ for Fischer for a guy who has played all of 14 collegiate games.

The bolded part is what really stood out to me at the game last night. Luke played the best position defense I have seen from a big at MU in quite some time. Maybe my lifetime, which encompasses Al's teams. He used his body well and kept his arms straight. Only once did he waiver from that, when the player dipped underneath him and he picked up a foul for that.

He looked comfortable on both ends of the court and really moved well.

Nukem2
12-17-2014, 09:21 AM
The bolded part is what really stood out to me at the game last night. Luke played the best position defense I have seen from a big at MU in quite some time. Maybe my lifetime, which encompasses Al's teams. He used his body well and kept his arms straight. Only once did he waiver from that, when the player dipped underneath him and he picked up a foul for that.

He looked comfortable on both ends of the court and really moved well.Agreed. He has been well-coached. Though interestingly, after Luke was in the game for a couple minutes, 2 of the refs came over to speak to him and were obviously telling to keep his hands up as they were probably seeing some pushing from Luke and they were "warning" him.

MUMac
12-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Agreed. He has been well-coached. Though interestingly, after Luke was in the game for a couple minutes, 2 of the refs came over to speak to him and were obviously telling to keep his hands up as they were probably seeing some pushing from Luke and they were "warning" him.

One of those refs continued to talk with Luke throughout. One time it looked like he complimented him for taking his "warning".

After Luke's first basket, a dunk, ASU called a TO. Luke is in the huddle and Travis came over and slapped him so hard on this butt that I don't think Luke could have sat if he was taken out. Travis was beyond excited. I have noticed that kind of intensity with much of the staff. Fun to watch.

MUfan12
12-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Agreed, Phantom. I have been really impressed with Wojo so far. I knew he'd be a good motivator, but after the UW game I knew he could really coach.

Loved the technical he got last night as well. Fired me up. MU got pretty much every 50-50 call from then on.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-17-2014, 09:58 AM
I have to admit, coming into the season a lack of flexibility was one of my biggest concerns regarding Wojo. The fact that he had been with one system and style for 20 years had me wondering if he could adapt his coaching style to a different talent level and various situations and he has clearly shown an ability to do this. I would also have to imagine that during the interview process game management flexibility was something Cords and others required Wojo to exemplify.