Starting lineup....

Steve Taylor
Juan Anderson
Derrick Wilson
Duane Wilson
Matt Carlino

IWB
12-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Students on break + 8:00 start = small crowd.

Great to see GE1974 & The Wingman in the house as well as meet ilovefreeway.

IWB
12-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Luke Fischer checks into Marquette for the first time to cheers of Luuuuuuke.

IWB
12-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Luke Fischer wasting no time. Lost the first pass that has gone to him (jitters) but has been great since - in appx 2 mins he has 2 points, 1 rebound, 2 blocks and a steal. Takes up a ton of space too.

IWB
12-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Wojo gets a T - interesting. As usual, he looks more fired up than the players do. Yelled at ref right away for lack of travelling. Ref had a quick trigger on the T, but Wojo's reaction was worthy of getting tossed. Love the way the assistant coaches immediately jumped up in front of him and formed a wall to keep him out of the refs' view.

IWB
12-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Official stats have Luke with 3 blocks, 6 pts and 2 rebounds, I think there is an additional block and steal in there.

IWB
12-16-2014, 08:31 PM
David Cubillan in the house, and who is he sitting with? His MU academic adviser. Love to see that.

IWB
12-16-2014, 08:35 PM
MU up 25-19 with 6:25 left. Team seems to have a renewed energy in a major way. Hustle is up, effort is up - Luke has been nothing short of impressive.

IWB
12-16-2014, 08:51 PM
MU up 11 at the half. Yes, Burton and Dawson are gone. Yes, Fischer is in. Even with those obvious changes, this looks like a whole new team.

ValiantSailor
12-16-2014, 08:58 PM
My pretty...where have you been all of my life?

VS

Djgoldnboy
12-16-2014, 09:17 PM
MU up 11 at the half. Yes, Burton and Dawson are gone. Yes, Fischer is in. Even with those obvious changes, this looks like a whole new team.

Couldn't agree more, this is exactly they kind of play that was missing all of last year. Players feed off of Luke and there's just a confidence that seems to be back, at least for this game. Luke, WOW, just WOW. Is it to early to get excited about him AND Henry next year?

IWB
12-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Luke's stats at last timeout read....

19 minutes, 12 points, 8 rebounds, 5 blocks, 1 assist.

IWB
12-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Carlino's foul..... Carlino fouled Holder who was going up for a shot. Fischer swats the shot. As they huddle Fischer says to Carlino, "Let him go, I'll take care of the shot."

IWB
12-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Those of us that said nobody would be happier with Luke's return than Steve Taylor may have been wrong.

At the 12 minute mark....
Juan Anderson - 25 minutes
Luke Fischer - 22 minutes
Steve Taylor - 6 minutes

MUUWUWM
12-16-2014, 09:28 PM
What a difference 1 player can make. Maybe we can finish in the upper half of conference standings.
Looks like we have become extremely competitive, not that we didn't compete but really more rounded on both ends of the floor.

IWB
12-16-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm sure many of us are glad that Buzz did not go after Willie Atwood hard enough before he left, Atwood has been less than impressive.

IWB
12-16-2014, 09:35 PM
I say that as he drains a three.

IWB
12-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Crazy thing is, MU losing the rebounding battle 29-26.

On the bright side, 21 assists on 25 made baskets - that is huge! You want huger than huge? MU shooting 56.8% from the field for the game.

MUUWUWM
12-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Getting a bit sloppy here at the end, but a good win.

IWB
12-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Couldn't believe the refs wouldn't call a foul there, Duane Wilson was getting mugged intentionally - what was point spread?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-16-2014, 10:08 PM
3.5 point spread.

Luke completely changes this team on both ends. Has to be the most impressive debut I've ever seen for a Marq player. He also plays like a very smart player, seems to understand the game on both ends.

I thought Steve's minutes would significantly decline, but not evaporate. He should only see the floor if Luke is in foul trouble or needs a blow - unfortunately he's just never learned how to play defense.

Terrible news about Jabari - feel real bad for him, good kid

DCwarrior
12-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Probably not since Wade made his debut in the Great Alaska Shootout way back when has a newbie been as impressive as Fischer was tonight. He was clearly MU's best player tonight and really dominated on both ends. I had high hopes for him coming in, but he was much better than I anticipated. He's physical, skilled offensively and is fundamentally sound on D. Hopefully this wasn't a 1-game fluke and he can continue to play well.

IrwinFletcher
12-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Color me impressed with Luke. Scored in the post with both hands. Hade a 12 ft fade. Rebounded well. Blocked a number of shots, and blocked at least 2 more where an MU player was called for a foul. Changed many shots too.

Just a different team on both sides of the court.

79warrior
12-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Those of us that said nobody would be happier with Luke's return than Steve Taylor may have been wrong.

At the 12 minute mark....
Juan Anderson - 25 minutes
Luke Fischer - 22 minutes
Steve Taylor - 6 minutes

Steve Taylor deserved what he got. He did absolutely nothing.

MU Viking
12-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Probably not since Wade made his debut in the Great Alaska Shootout way back when has a newbie been as impressive as Fischer was tonight. He was clearly MU's best player tonight and really dominated on both ends. I had high hopes for him coming in, but he was much better than I anticipated. He's physical, skilled offensively and is fundamentally sound on D. Hopefully this wasn't a 1-game fluke and he can continue to play well.

And the GAS wasn't even Wade's first game. His first was against Loyola and Odartey Blankson's brother:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-11-18/sports/0111180566_1_cordell-henry-marquette-coach-tom-crean-loyola

Wade's line was 21-9-5-2-3 which is pretty amazing.

I agree that Luke's debut was arguably the best since that, although Davante Gardner's was close (17, 5 rebs and 2 blocks albeit against a weak PVA&M).

Nukem2
12-16-2014, 10:56 PM
Well, that was a fun night at the BC.

Goose85
12-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Fischer looks stronger than I expected. Nice little hook with either hand.

Duane Wilson had nice drives to the hoop from both the left and right side.

A lot easier to get out in transition when you have legitimate chance to get rebounds.

MU/Panther
12-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Students on break + 8:00 start = small crowd.

Great to see GE1974 & The Wingman in the house as well as meet ilovefreeway.

I thought the student scetion filled in pretty nice in the lower bowl.

MUMac
12-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Wojo gets a T - interesting. As usual, he looks more fired up than the players do. Yelled at ref right away for lack of travelling. Ref had a quick trigger on the T, but Wojo's reaction was worthy of getting tossed. Love the way the assistant coaches immediately jumped up in front of him and formed a wall to keep him out of the refs' view.

That jacket came off pretty darn quick. I wondered if he tore it. He did not wear it the remainder of the game.

Really a poor sequence from the official. He blows several calls and the worst was the ball bouncing out of bounds 10' from him. Then he is quick with the T. It seemed like he was saying to Wojo during the TO that Wojo was on the court and that is why he called it. Really a bush league type of officiating.

In another sequence, they called a foul on Anderson, who crashed into the MU bench. The official stared him down, almost waiting for some emotion (none came). Another display of a bad official.

To avoid the complaints that seem to follow, I am not complaining about the officiating last night. Just those two sequences and how the officials should have handled those more professionally.

Gato78
12-17-2014, 09:34 AM
I am pretty sure Wojo used one of the words a coach cannot use.

Nukem2
12-17-2014, 09:40 AM
I thought the student scetion filled in pretty nice in the lower bowl.Yes, they did. Looked like a sparse student crowd 10 minutes before game and at start but they did fill up a lot of the lower bowl.
One of my nephews and his friends got an invite to the Direc TV section and were on the jumbotron....:)

MUMac
12-17-2014, 02:14 PM
I am pretty sure Wojo used one of the words a coach cannot use.

That is what I thought initially, but watching the discussion between the official and Wojo, I am not so certain. Wojo seemed perplexed as to the T. The official was pointing to the floor and Wojo pointed to where he was standing.

Nukem2
12-17-2014, 02:33 PM
That is what I thought initially, but watching the discussion between the official and Wojo, I am not so certain. Wojo seemed perplexed as to the T. The official was pointing to the floor and Wojo pointed to where he was standing.After Buzz's sojouns on the floor during his tenure, maybe the refs are asserting themselves right away to make sure the new coach is staying in his box?

MUMac
12-17-2014, 06:51 PM
After Buzz's sojouns on the floor during his tenure, maybe the refs are asserting themselves right away to make sure the new coach is staying in his box?

I just watched the replay. Wojo was definitely on the floor and that is why he was T'd up.

Gato78
12-17-2014, 07:57 PM
I sit close. He lobbed an Fbomb. I think he was warned and then did it again.

MUMac
12-17-2014, 08:03 PM
I sit close. He lobbed an Fbomb. I think he was warned and then did it again.

I sit close as well, in fact, where Wojo was in relation to the call, very close. Right behind where he was standing on the court. As I said, the discussion between Wojo and the official, the official was pointing to where Wojo was on the court. Wojo's reaction was that he was on the sideline. If you watch the replay, you can tell the official made the call because of Wojo being on the court, and he deserved it for that.