PDA

View Full Version : So UW is now a stepping stone football job?

Markedman
12-10-2014, 04:34 PM
wow.....Trey Wallace ‏@TreyW_Radio · 1m1 minute ago
So now Wisconsin is open? Wow Gary Anderson to leave Wisconsin for Oregon St according to Portland Tribune

Markedman
12-10-2014, 04:39 PM
https://twitter.com/BadgerFootball/status/542808957648375809/photo/1

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB · 7m7 minutes ago
Had heard Gary Andersen had been very interested in getting out of #Wisconsin. Thought it may've been for UF or even MIchigan. Good hire OSU

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Wow, did not see this coming. I don't follow college fball as much as college hoops, I assume he must have ties back to NW?

Have to imagine some Badger fans will spin this into a "he was encouraged to leave" based on the BIG title result.

Nukem2
Wow. That's really weird. Maybe he just like the West better. As a fan, never invest much emotion in a coach. Kids on the team and recruits and prospects really need to look at the school than the coach.

TheSultan
Wow. What??? Man for all Barry's talk during the search he really screwed that one up.

Gato78
12-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Which is worse: Buzz taking a step down to VPI or Anderson taking a step down to Oregon State?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Which is worse: Buzz taking a step down to VPI or Anderson taking a step down to Oregon State?

Buzz hands down... OSU has had some success atleast... Granted limited, but far more than VT.

Markedman
12-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Anderson...he only stayed 2 years....At least Buzz was here 6 and lots of changes occurred at MU in that time.

mufan2003
12-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Only 2 years at Wisconsin....yikes. He must have really wanted out.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Is Barry going to coach this bowl game too for another nice chunk of change?

MU/Panther
12-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Wisconsin=stepping stone job.

Very poor recruiting by Anderson at Wisconsin.

Gato78
12-10-2014, 05:10 PM
He only had one class (the other is in red shirt year) and had one of the top QB prospects coming next year as well as two top defensive tackles. It sounded like his recruiting was working. The game Saturday was all on Brett Bielema's recruiting.

Markedman
12-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Twitter is saying he was frustrated by the academic standards at UW.....Have they raised them in recent years?

Gato78
12-10-2014, 05:20 PM
That is BS. If they pass the Clearinghouse, they are getting in. Who really believes that crap.

Markedman
12-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Barry just got asked the "destination job" question....he said "it wasn't for the last 2 guys...it was for me and Bo Ryan....everybody is different"

Markedman
12-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Jason Galloway ‏@Jason_Galloway · 14s15 seconds ago
Alvarez asked if he expected to have to hire a third coach as AD: "No, and this is going to be my last one."

IWB
12-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Barry just got asked the "destination job" question....he said "it wasn't for the last 2 guys...it was for me and Bo Ryan....everybody is different"

It almost wasn't though. ;)

79warrior
12-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Twitter is saying he was frustrated by the academic standards at UW.....Have they raised them in recent years?

Like it or not, tougher to get in UW than MU.

Nukem2
12-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Not so for FB players...?

TheSultan
12-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Not so for FB players...?

Marquette hasn't been able to admit a football player for years.

Nukem2
12-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Marquette hasn't been able to admit a football player for years.
Cute...;)

farmerdoc
12-10-2014, 08:28 PM

Why though? Mostly more competition for slots due to being a "destination" state school. :-) Run of the mill general academic success for average student seems less to me.

Gato78
12-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Totally disagree with this. It depends on which program you want to enroll in. Marquette's PA program much tougher than Madison's. I have heard the same for nursing. In programs like engineering and bus ad, frosh are admitted while in Madtown, admission occurs after first or second year. So I find that adage about Madtown being tougher to get into untrue and perhaps a complete exageration. If you say general liberal arts is more difficult, I would probably agree. Don't undersell some of the really good things going on at MU.

mufansince72
12-10-2014, 10:23 PM
It might be harder to get admitted into a specific program at MU, but I can tell you from the last four years of my kids college application process as a general rule it is much easier to get accepted into the university as a freshman at MU, than it is at Wisconsin. I would estimate that I know about 100 or so kids that applied to both schools during that time period. About 80 of them got accepted at MU and 50 to UW. Granted these are rough numbers, and come from one community. This is just a perception, but I think MU accepts a lot of kids knowing that they won't ultimately end up at MU because of the cost, especially for in state students.

Goose85
12-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Doesn't matter, football players just need to pass clearinghouse, they don't need to actually meet the normal academic requirements. Hard to get kids in, come on.

IWB
12-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Doesn't matter, football players just need to pass clearinghouse, they don't need to actually meet the normal academic requirements. Hard to get kids in, come on.

Absolutely accurate. If the kid passes the clearinghouse, they are in. These are not our kids who are trying to get in based off of their academic high school careers. They are football players getting in based off of their football talents and their passing of the NCAA Clearinghouse.

The Reptile
12-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Stop! There are a legion of badger fans that cannot know about this. They would rather die than believe that the standards at 'The Harvard of the Midwest' are ordinary. If uw@madison is not exceptional they cannot continue to have their egos stoked and would lead an unfulfilled life. So, for the sake of those people kindly dispense with the truth.

Phantom Warrior
12-11-2014, 07:52 AM
I work with an awful lot of kids who apply to either UW or MU or to both UW and MU. In terms of non-athletes and general admission standards, it is a bit more difficult to get into UW than to MU, but the gap in terms of gpa and ACT scores has narrowed substantially the past few years.

There are some pretty common myths floating around about the admission standards at both universities, though there are more myths about UW than about MU.

In terms of athletes, both schools have reduced standards, and that doesn't apply to only football players at UW and basketball players at both schools. It also applies to soccer, volleyball, tennis, golf, etc. For example, I worked with a female athlete (not a basketball player) from a North Shore high school who was admitted to UW with decent (3.3 - 3.4) grades and an ACT score of 21. That combination would never get a non-athlete in at UW.

But I've had the same type of situation at MU with some of the athletes I've worked with.

But this is common across the entire college landscape. One student I worked with - again not a football or basketball player - had an initial score of 12 on the ACT. After a few months of meeting once a week, this individual managed to raise the ACT score to 16. Along with average grades, this person was accepted, on athletic scholarship, at a high-major program.

Even the Ivies have reduced standards for athletes, both in terms of gpa and ACT or SAT scores. The standards are still very high compared to almost every other university (Stanford and Duke, for example, would be exceptions), but they are quite a bit lower than they are for the general population.

TedBaxter
12-11-2014, 08:05 AM
People can correct me if they know for sure. The UW requires 4 years of math and science and possibly 4 years of foreign language for the standard applicant and could this be the requirements they are talking about? This could eliminate a number of kids who aren't recruited until late in their junior year. There was also talk of a 2.6 GPA minimum requirement on core courses. Just asking.

IWB
12-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Not sure Ted, but again, if the football/basketball staffs at either UW or MU really want a kid, and have worked well with the admissions staff and academic teams in the past, they can get a kid in.

Ted brings up the 4 years of math, science & foreign language. Not sure about UW, but this is a very valid point. A few years back Paul Hornung was blasted for saying that Notre Dame's admission standards were too tough, basically eliminating the black athlete. He wasn't saying that the black athletes were too dumb to get into ND, but the specific requirements - one of which I believe was having taken Calculus. Unlike basketball where kids all commit before they start their senior year, in football they generally commit during or after their senior season. So ND shows interest..... But I haven't taken Calculus, and in order to take Calculus I would have had to have taken Pre-Calc. Too late and unfair to someone who never knew what the ND requirements were, nor should he have as the ND offer didn't come until after it was too late.

Need to take four years of science and foreign language? Too bad, you didn't take it your sophomore & junior year, too late.

So for many of them, (not sure about UW) it isn't the GPA or ACT, its the specific requirements. This is something I think can be very unfair as kids have no idea where they want to go when they are freshmen and even early sophomores.

Markedman
12-11-2014, 11:29 AM
UW recruit

Jake Pickard @JakePickard2015
Follow
"Do you plan on leaving anytime soon" "Absolutely not, this is the place I want to be". A conversation I had a couple weeks ago. Smh
4:40 PM - 10 Dec 2014 Millburn, NJ, United States

TheSultan
12-11-2014, 12:01 PM
UW recruit

Jake Pickard @JakePickard2015
Follow
"Do you plan on leaving anytime soon" "Absolutely not, this is the place I want to be". A conversation I had a couple weeks ago. Smh
4:40 PM - 10 Dec 2014 Millburn, NJ, United States

Every coach says that. We really should be immune to that by now.

Nukem2
12-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Every coach says that. We really should be immune to that by now.Yeah. It really means "I have no idea where I'll be in the future".

mufansince72
12-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Bucky just got a commitment from a 4 star running back out of Texas without a coach in place. That is interesting to say the lea$t.

Halo
12-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Butch Badger putting MU fans in their place with the grades.

offlinebutchbadger
Unread Message #7 [url] [-]

December 11, 2014 9:02 PM
shetownbucky wrote:
According to an article by Jesse Temple, where we deviate from the norm in terms of academic minimums are for high school units passed.

Here's the NCAA minimums and ours, and apparently this is where the admissions office won't budge, not necessarily with GPAs and test scores (not first hand knowledge for me):

HS Units Required
Subject NCAA Minimum UW Minimum
English 4 4
Math 3 4
Science 2 3
Social Studies 2 3
One of the 4 Above Subjects 1 N/A
Single Foreign Language N/A 3
Fine Arts or More of Above 4 2
Total 16 19

I do work in admissions at UWM, and I can tell you that not a lot of lower-performing students are set up to meet this criteria unless they know about it beforehand. There are a ton of math and science classes that school districts count towards those math and science credits that we don't. With the popularity of CSI, a ton of high schools offer forensic science. UWM doesn't count that as a science course, so I highly doubt Madison does. Pre-algebra and basically any math course that is taught in an applied format doesn't count (business math, consumer math, math for everyday living, etc). Any religious courses aren't counted, unless it's a comparative religions course that would count towards social studies. Project Lead The Way courses don't count towards anything, despite many of them being considered science by high schools. Computer science courses don't count for anything. Family and consumer ed courses and tech ed courses don't count for anything.

This is key.

LOOK MU, MSU, O$U, Iowa, Minny fans I know you breathlessly read this board. It is a game changer.... along with no Juco's. Yet we still do pretty OKsmiley: glasses
I've seen all the "that's BS...it's no harder to get in for athletes than any place else...just get thru the clearing house" No. The football team has had at least 5-6 guys not admitted in GA's tenure. Most were accepted by other programs within 24 hours.

If you haven't had an academic casualty in forever then you are like every other low level sports program. No judgement. Do what you gotta do.smiley: embarassed But stop pretending we both accept the same kids.

DCwarrior
12-11-2014, 10:19 PM
This follow-up post just debunked the UW admission requirements

badger53705 wrote:
There was a lot of bad information in the (original) Jessie Temple article - though he has apparently updated it (but without noting the changes on the website). Here is the Admissions web page that he evidently used for the original information in his article. The sentence above the table on the Admissions web page, however, reads: "The following chart shows the number of years that most admitted students studied in each subject area." It does not say that these there are the minimum requirements for admission.

Indeed, the first asterisk under the chart debunks his (original) claim that 4 years of high school math are an admissions requirement: "Math requirement includes at least one year each of algebra, geometry, and advanced math, or an integrated sequence of courses." So, minimum math requirements are one year of algebra, one year of geometry, and one year of an advanced math, for a total of three years, the same as (what he says is the case at) OSU and MSU.

This page from the undergraduate catalog debunks his (original) claim about minimum foreign language requirements: "To be admitted to the University of Wisconsin-Madison, students must have completed the second-year level of a single foreign language (or American Sign Language) in high school."
Okay, well here is what UWM has as minimum requirements. We'll admit some people with less, but it comes at the discretion of an admissions supervisor.

HS Units Required
Subject Units
English 3.5 - 4
Math 3
Science 3
Social Studies 3
For Language, Fine Arts, or More of Above 2
Total 15 - 17

Halo
12-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Butchy boy was wrong? I thought he knew it all with grades at UW and MU?

IWB
12-11-2014, 11:43 PM
It doesn't matter - at the end of the day every school in this country has what are called "Special Admins". These are people who are admitted without meeting the normal criteria. Wisconsin has them, LSU has them, even Harvard has them. If Barry Alvarez' son wanted to go to UW, and he didn't meet the academic criteria? They would allow him in as a special admin. If Andy North's daughter wanted to go to UW but did not meet the academic criteria, they would allow her in as a special admin.

The key is how many you allow.

Gato78
12-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Adding to the above, coaches negotiate for admissions standards when they get the job. IT IS ALL NEGOTIABLE! Enough of the sanctimony.

Goose85
12-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Adding to the above, coaches negotiate for admissions standards when they get the job. IT IS ALL NEGOTIABLE! Enough of the sanctimony.

The coach's name escapes me, but there was a coach ready to take the ND job and he didn't because they couldn't agree on the number of exceptions. Happens everywhere.

Mucrisco
12-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Do you still have to get into Stanford as an athlete? That's the only school I was aware of.