PDA

View Full Version : B1G BB tourney to MSG?

MU/Panther
12-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Week before the Big East
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/12/06/madison-square-garden-hosts-big-ten-tournament-2018

The Reptile
12-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Good,trip for B1? Fans. The timing is bad for the league since the only teams playing tournaments at that time are women and mid-majors. Plus, ramming Rutgers down the throats of New Yorkers along with the rest of the Midwest teams is a joke and won't sell. Lastly, the slow pace of B1? games is not a product that New Yorkers are likely to embrace.

mufan2003
12-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Who cares if it does not affect the Big East's current layout.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Who cares if it does not affect the Big East's current layout.

Isn't this way too short sighted of a view point?

Isn't the reality that the MSG eventually has discretion over which conference they host? It's been clear that the Big Ten is making a strong push for taking over the Big East for the east coast and unfortunately this could be a step in the Big Tens favor.

MUwarrior1090
12-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Good,trip for B1? Fans. The timing is bad for the league since the only teams playing tournaments at that time are women and mid-majors. Plus, ramming Rutgers down the throats of New Yorkers along with the rest of the Midwest teams is a joke and won't sell. Lastly, the slow pace of B1? games is not a product that New Yorkers are likely to embrace.

It will sell. Big Ten fans will travel.

Markedman
12-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout 7m7 minutes ago
I have to say the B1G putting their basketball tournament in MSG a week earlier than normal is one of the all time moronic things I've heard

Brian Snow @BSnowScout · 4m 4 minutes ago
And this doesnt even count how the coaches will hate having that much time off between conference tournament & NCAA Tournament. Just is dumb
0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
Reply Retweet Favorite
More
Brian Snow @BSnowScout · 7m 7 minutes ago
1) B1G coaches don't even want to recruit NY/NJ, 2) Big fan bases don't want to travel there BEFORE NCAA's 3) Indy is better for event

Nukem2
12-08-2014, 03:01 PM
I have to say the B1G putting their basketball tournament in MSG a week earlier than normal is one of the all time moronic things I've heard

And this doesnt even count how the coaches will hate having that much time off between conference tournament & NCAA Tournament. Just is dumb
Reply Retweet Favorite
More
1) B1G coaches don't even want to recruit NY/NJ, 2) Big fan bases don't want to travel there BEFORE NCAA's 3) Indy is better for event
A lot of truth to all of that....

TheSultan
12-08-2014, 03:10 PM

Reply Retweet Favorite
More

It really is just for one year. I'm sure the coaches and fanbases will be fine.

MUBasketball
12-08-2014, 03:13 PM
It really is just for one year.

For now.

Nukem2
12-08-2014, 03:14 PM
It really is just for one year. I'm sure the coaches and fanbases will be fine.
Sure, but it's still goofy. Though it's probably for testing the waters once the BE contact is up well down the road.

Goose85
12-08-2014, 03:21 PM
If it is a once every so often deal it will probably work out fine.

Big 10 folks are used to just hoping in their car and driving to Indy for football championship, or to Indy or Chicago for the basketball tournament. Really convenient for most of the fan bases. If it were every year in NY, that might be an issue, but there are enough Big 10 grads in the big apple and people wanting to see the Garden that it will probably work every once in a awhile.

Most money comes from TV, so I'd guess the TV folks don't have a problem with it, or actually like it.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Consider me worried as I think the MSG is one of the best assets going for our conference...if you give a mouse a cookie...

TheSultan
12-08-2014, 03:52 PM
The B10 isn't going to want to be there permanently. It doesn't fit the DNA of the conference. They have too large of a fanbase in the midwest.

MUMac
12-08-2014, 04:03 PM
The B10 isn't going to want to be there permanently. It doesn't fit the DNA of the conference. They have too large of a fanbase in the midwest.

Some were irritated when they moved from Chicago to Indianapolis. I agree, there will be many that want it in the Midwest and are fine with Indianapolis.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Agreed that it won't be full time. But the Big Ten is clearly on a mission to make the east coast part of their DNA. I could see them eventually rotating between NY and Indy (a much better location for the tourney than Chi imo).