PDA

View Full Version : Get Derrick Out Of The Game

Phantom Warrior
12-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Carlino and Duane are handling the top of the zone extremely well. Derrick adds nothing on defense. He is too short to get defensive rebounds. get someone in who can grab a frickin' rebound.

He is doing nothing on offense. We are playing four on five. Get Burton or JJJ in to add another scoring threat and hopefully some better rebounding.

Mucrisco
12-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Get Jujuan out of there. First he takes a will shot. Then he digs down on the post on the strong side. No reason to do that. He gives up an open 3. Then he gets caught ball watching, loses his guy in the corner and gives up an easy baseline drive.

79warrior
12-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Get Jujuan out of there. First he takes a will shot. Then he digs down on the post on the strong side. No reason to do that. He gives up an open 3. Then he gets caught ball watching, loses his guy in the corner and gives up an easy baseline drive.

No kidding. For a Top 40 recruit, JJJ has been a bust so far.

TheSultan
12-06-2014, 04:52 PM
The reason Derrick plays so many minutes is because there are no alternatives.

Nukem2
12-06-2014, 04:57 PM
The reason Derrick plays so many minutes is because there are no alternatives.
Well, there are. Just not as appealing to Wojo. Derrick is playing off the ball quite a bit now, so there are opportunities for the others but they are not up to it yet. Still wonder if Dawson could play some in that role.

Mucrisco
12-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Derrick is assignment sure on defense. That's what Wojo wants. He may not be athletic, but he does calm the team down. He controls the game better than others do.

As for JJJ, stay patient on him. He's talented and has a good body frame. He just needs to learn more. I think last year was a wasted year on so many guys. Look at a guy like Burton. He's talented, but his bball IQ isn't there yet. He'll get there. My MVP so far is Juan Anderson. He does everything that no one else wants to do. Thank goodness for that guy.

mutpm
12-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Derrick is able to play down low in the 2-3, I don't know who else beside Steve and Juan could.

Phantom Warrior
12-07-2014, 10:06 PM
I view derrick as a liability playing down low on the zone. He is simply too short to get defensive rebounds.

The problem is neither Deonte nor JJJ has shown any ability to rebound either. Both should get more rebounds than they do.

mutpm
12-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Which leads to the conclusion that Derrick plays because there isn't a better alternative. He's not ideal down low in the 2-3, but he's better than everyone but Steve and Juan.

TheSultan
12-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Which leads to the conclusion that Derrick plays because there isn't a better alternative. He's not ideal down low in the 2-3, but he's better than everyone but Steve and Juan.

This is pretty much what I have been preaching since last year.

Nukem2
12-08-2014, 09:41 AM
This is pretty much what I have been preaching since last year.Unfortunately, it does not make him a good alternative in many circumstances. And, its an alternative that has not led to wins against quality teams. At some point, maybe after Luke arrives, perhaps the alternative minutes start to be meted out with an eye to the future. In the end, this is Div I basketball and winning ultimately is important. If a team is not going to win, perhaps building for the future makes sense. How many feel good moral victories can a team have...? I'm not suggesting slashing his minutes, but rather using him more selectively as the season progresses.

kneelb4zerg
12-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately, it does not make him a good alternative in many circumstances. And, its an alternative that has not led to wins against quality teams. At some point, maybe after Luke arrives, perhaps the alternative minutes start to be meted out with an eye to the future. In the end, this is Div I basketball and winning ultimately is important. If a team is not going to win, perhaps building for the future makes sense. How many feel good moral victories can a team have...? I'm not suggesting slashing his minutes, but rather using him more selectively as the season progresses.

I don't think you build for the future by giving minutes to guys who don't deserve them. They should earn their way onto the court in practice.

MUMac
12-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately, it does not make him a good alternative in many circumstances. And, its an alternative that has not led to wins against quality teams. At some point, maybe after Luke arrives, perhaps the alternative minutes start to be meted out with an eye to the future. In the end, this is Div I basketball and winning ultimately is important. If a team is not going to win, perhaps building for the future makes sense. How many feel good moral victories can a team have...? I'm not suggesting slashing his minutes, but rather using him more selectively as the season progresses.

I disagree with this analysis.

I have liked DW's ability to get to the hoop this year. He has impressed me with his ability to finish. Against UW, he was going against Kaminsky and Hayes. Tough to beat them. The reason he had to beat them is the drop off was not there, nor was the big's ability to create space for him.

That is what I hope we start to see with Luke in the middle. A place to drop the ball off if the big shadows over or the sealing the lane, ala Chris the past two years.

DWill has played, for the most part, fine in my eyes. I was critical of him last year, but I like how Wojo is using him this year. He looks better on his drives. Still can't shoot a lick outside of 5 feet, but he will have three options now when he drives - shoot, kick it out or drop it down.

Nukem2
12-08-2014, 10:30 AM
I disagree with this analysis.

I have liked DW's ability to get to the hoop this year. He has impressed me with his ability to finish. Against UW, he was going against Kaminsky and Hayes. Tough to beat them. The reason he had to beat them is the drop off was not there, nor was the big's ability to create space for him.

That is what I hope we start to see with Luke in the middle. A place to drop the ball off if the big shadows over or the sealing the lane, ala Chris the past two years.

DWill has played, for the most part, fine in my eyes. I was critical of him last year, but I like how Wojo is using him this year. He looks better on his drives. Still can't shoot a lick outside of 5 feet, but he will have three options now when he drives - shoot, kick it out or drop it down.
I would make that George Thompson's famous "no footer". And he still can't hit FTs. And he still is a bad option with the ball as the clock winds down. Again, I'm not proposing that Wojo slash his minutes. Rather be more selective in meting out floor time as the game dictates. Missing one-and-one FTs and taking a poor shot with the shot clock going down or dribbling East-West aimlessly for a long time are equivalent to TOs in my mind. As for the drop offs to a big man, he had many opportunities to do that last year but really did not. Hopefully, he can do it when Luke arrives next week. Hopefully, you are correct and I'm wrong....:D We shall see.

CaribouJim
12-08-2014, 10:51 AM
I think this thread on Dodds board from the week before last is a good read with special emphasis on hoops1212 analysis in response to Dodds initial post. Not surprisingly, I agree with hoops1212.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415&f=2850&t=13418775&p=1

KMWTRUCKS
12-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Derrick is not a very good zone defender. He is much better at MM. His lack of length and lack of lateral quickness Makes him look late on close outs and Makes for pretty easy passing lanes. That said I thought he has looked better this year then I expected. On a team Like MU Last year and this, that is going to have to win close games I look for guys that have a Games that puts in the W column Vs teams that are solid. Carlino and Duanne have both had one. I have generally felt that Derrick is a guy that helps you lose a game by 5-10 but not get blown out. If you think about his best games have they translated into wins?

MUMac
12-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Not to hijack this thread, as that never happens here, but the link to dodds site had me wondering. With Luke back, who will be the biggest beneficiary? What will the starting line up be down the road? Line up you most want?

I think Duane Wilson and Carlino will benefit the most. I think the starting line up will be:

PG Derrick Wilson
SC Carlino
WF Anderson
PF Taylor
C Fischer

The line up I will like to the best may be:

PG Carlino
SG Duane Wilson
WF Anderson
PF Burton
C Fischer

Burton, though, has to step it up with both intensity and decision making. That could have the most potential offensively and could be fun to watch.

MUAlphaBangura
12-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Not to hijack this thread, as that never happens here, but the link to dodds site had me wondering. With Luke back, who will be the biggest beneficiary? What will the starting line up be down the road? Line up you most want?

I think Duane Wilson and Carlino will benefit the most. I think the starting line up will be:

PG Derrick Wilson
SC Carlino
WF Anderson
PF Taylor
C Fischer

PG Carlino
SG Duane Wilson
WF Anderson
PF Burton
C Fischer

Burton, though, has to step it up with both intensity and decision making. That could have the most potential offensively and could be fun to watch.

And rebounding. I am very perplexed by Deonte's lack of aggressiveness on the boards.

Nukem2
12-08-2014, 12:08 PM

PG Derrick Wilson
SC Carlino
WF Anderson
PF Taylor
C Fischer

PG Carlino
SG Duane Wilson
WF Anderson
PF Burton
C Fischer

Burton, though, has to step it up with both intensity and decision making. That could have the most potential offensively and could be fun to watch.Suspect we will see mostly 3 guard lineups with Luke, Juan, Steve and Deonte splitting the minutes in the frontcourt. May have a more traditional lineup depending upon matchups with the opponent.