PDA

View Full Version : Blue & Gold Auctio

Gato78
12-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Incredible event last night. The best and most lucrative MU has ever had. A few factors: 1. Program momentum with Lovell, Scholl and Wojo; 2. Night before the Wisconsin game; and, 3. Board of Trustees met yesterday so they stuck around for the auction. It also did not hurt that the committee of Dennis Klumb and Jim Meier did a great job but, as always, Sarah Klaus and Joe True deserve the biggest kudos. Auction items were bid up to very high numbers. I could not tell you how much money was raised but it smashed all records supported by dinner with the Wojos going for approximately $55,000 (x2) and dinner with True, Joe Amplo and Dr. Lovell going for approximately $65,000 (with a Wojo appearance) (x2). So without anything else included there was $250,000 profit. The student who assisted Homer, a womens track athlete, gave an outstanding speech and she was getting hugs afterwards from complete strangers moved by her talk. There is a momentum around the program I have not seen since 1977 and last night was demonstrative. There was also a very positive buzz, so to speak, about Wojo's affect on the athletic department--a normal guy vs. Buzz and maybe TC. I think Scholl adds to that. I do not know what will happen today but last night confirmed for me that everything is headed in the right direction.

Mucrisco
12-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Thanks for sharing! I wish I could watch a video of that speech. What did she talk about?

Gato78
12-06-2014, 09:45 AM
What it means to be a Marquette student-athlete. Goes beyond the game to service, good grades, spiritual aspects of life. The meaning of "We are Marquette" and how she insisted the athletes in each of the sports at MU respect what that means and that they shout it out before every contest without emphasis on which words are important, because all the words are important. Impressive young woman, Haley Loprieno.

mufan2003
12-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Good to hear Gato!

BLT
12-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Heard attendance was double last year and sold out. Will say Scholl gave a nice speech too and was making the rounds. What a sea change.

MUAlphaBangura
12-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Raised $350,000 dollars for non-revenue scholarships. Pretty amazing.

warriorgnp
12-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Any nuggets re: Arena or other things related
To the program?

Gato78
12-06-2014, 10:16 PM
I heard a lot of good things about the opertation of the Athletics Department without the presence of Buzz. There were problems. The most common phrase I heard (from several people in different areas) was: "You may or may not have liked Larry but Buzz...". Also heard the player mojo has changed from being beat down, to a happier group. Players seem to be more eager to go to the Al. I was surprised by some of the things I heard.

BLT
12-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Raised $350,000 dollars for non-revenue scholarships. Pretty amazing.

That was MU's goal for the entire month of December, achieved in one night.

TheSultan
12-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Scholl seems like a guy who doesn't need to be in the spotlight.

warriorfan4life
12-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Scholl seems like a guy who doesn't need to be in the spotlight.

Hope so, as Bill Cords had a brilliant career at Marquette and he preferred to stay behind the scenes.