DIRECTV Wooden Legacy 3rd Place Game at Anaheim
Xavier vs Long Beach State, 3:00
ESPNU: Steve Quis, Stan Heath

Delaware @ Villanova, 3:30
Fox Sports 1: Jeff Levering, Tarik Turner

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-30-2014, 09:58 AM
5-0 today baby!

Just kidding...3-2 would probably be a successful day. Can't see Providence or DePaul standing much of a chance in those ones.

11-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Providence with a good first half, led most of the way but Kentucky made a late run to take a 26-22 lead to the break. Henton has yet to really make his mark. Friars are in this one.

MU/Panther
11-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Kentucky 26 Providence 22 halftime on espn2

DePaul leads Stanford 19-18 in the 1st half on Fox Sports 1.

CaribouJim
11-30-2014, 02:17 PM
DePaul looking good and PC hanging in there but UK looks like they are ready to make a run. PC win would be gigantic for BE.

MUAlphaBangura
11-30-2014, 02:19 PM
DePaul looking good and PC hanging in there but UK looks like they are ready to make a run. PC win would be gigantic for BE.

DePaul up 11 at the half, and the more remarkable thing is that they have looked pretty good in getting that lead.

MU/Panther
11-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Holy Blue Demons!

MU/Panther
11-30-2014, 03:26 PM
DePaul up 76 to 65 on Stanford with under three minutes left.

MU/Panther
11-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Final
DePaul 87 Stanford 71

Xavier underway on ESPNU
Villanova underway on FS1

11-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Xavier in trouble. Down by 4 with 6 to play.

MU/Panther
11-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Xavier 1 for 11 from three. Came back to take a one point lead, on ESPNU.

MU/Panther
11-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Big East 3-2 today. Xavier lost by 3.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-30-2014, 10:24 PM
That's disappointing, was hoping for more out of Xavier, is nice that we are contributing some solid wins though.

warriorfan4life
11-30-2014, 11:42 PM
This could really hurt Xavier long term in regards to their tourney chances. Shame of it is that I think they are a really good team. Now their crappy schedule is all their fault, and they better thank the other Big East teams for picking up so many quality wins out of the league (to where being good in the league may be enough to create a tourney worthy resume). That may save their butts if they finish as well I think they can in conference.

12-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Xavier this year reminds me of how their crosstown rival used to schedule. Cincinnati was all about easy non-conference wins and getting all the quality in league. It's risky because losing just 1-2 games before January can put your hopes on life support. If Xavier loses another game they will be in real trouble, especially with how competitive the league looks. They still have Alabama and Cincy but probably need to win both. The other drawback of their week in Anaheim is it cost them the chance to play Washington. That was the best non-con game they could have played.

All in all an awful week for the X-Men.

2012Warrior
12-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Seth Davis was asked about MU's tournament chances last night. His response is he thinks the league is too tough for us this year, but Ellenson next year will help. Good to hear that rather than its a 2 bid league or something.

12-01-2014, 09:07 AM
I think the magic number is 20 wins to have a chance. That probably means 8-4 in non-con, 11-7 in league, and a win at MSG. That feels like a lot to ask from this young team. I think we'll be closer to the 14-17 win range, but watching this team grow is so fun that I'd take that.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-01-2014, 09:24 AM
I was thinking about this last night and honestly I still have no idea what to expect, it's really hard to say where we will end up because I think we are still finding out who is what in terms of good teams. We are young, and I honestly think outside of the UW and Villanova games we could win or lose to anyone left on the schedule... With that said I don't know what to think of GT and Tenn right now, will those be good wins at the end of the year? I'm not so sure... I agree with Seth though, I don't know that we will make the tournament this year, but what I do know is it will be fun to watch them progress and frustrating at times too.

warriorfan4life
12-01-2014, 10:06 AM
As tough as next Saturday may be, I believe that it is basically a must win for our tourney chances. It will take a perfect 40 minutes for us to have a chance, and is probably not realistic to dream about. Still, it is not nearly as incomprehensible as it would have been a week ago.

TheSultan
12-01-2014, 10:14 AM
As tough as next Saturday may be, I believe that it is basically a must win for our tourney chances. It will take a perfect 40 minutes for us to have a chance, and is probably not realistic to dream about. Still, it is not nearly as incomprehensible as it would have been a week ago.

Season is way too long to call Saturday a must win.

Nukem2
12-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Season is way too long to call Saturday a must win.Yes, December 6th is a wee bit early to make that statement.

MUwarrior1090
12-01-2014, 10:20 AM

Said this on another board but I ran the RPI numbers. Assume MU loses this weekend, then wins the next 4 to go to 8-4 for the non-con. 11-7 in the Big East would leave us with an estimated RPI of 47. That may be good enough, maybe not. I doubt we need a win this weekend for our tournament hopes, although it certainly wouldn't hurt. If Ga. Tech and Tennessee both can end up top 75 or so that would be a huge lift as well.

MU/Panther
12-01-2014, 10:23 AM
With the Big East winning "big' games in the non-conference and still have many big games left, Saturday is not a must win. There is many shots in league play.
The committee will view Marquette in a different way when Fisher can play.

Nukem2
12-01-2014, 10:29 AM
With the Big East winning "big' games in the non-conference and still have many big games left, Saturday is not a must win. There is many shots in league play.
The committee will view Marquette in a different way when Fisher can play.Is that the NIT or NCAA committee... :rolleyes: Seriously, its also way too early to worry about committee(s). Lets enjoy watching this team grow and get Luke out on the court. Lets Go Warriors.

BTW, Nolan RPI has MU at #69 now and Pomeroy has MU up to #105.

Relative to the BE, there could be a lot of teams in the 10-8 and 9-9 range. So these NC games are very important.

12-01-2014, 11:12 AM

Not at all a must win. If we go 8-4 with one bad loss and 3 RPI top-50 losses that will be fine as long as we get wins in conference. I agree that 11-7 would probably be the bar. You never want to pin hopes on the conference tourney because the SC is very inconsistent with how much they weigh those games. If we go to MSG with a 19-11 record we will have a good shot, as long as there aren't any more bad losses (DePaul) and a few good wins (Bucky, Nova, Butler, Georgetown).

Goose85
12-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Funny how a few weeks changes things. Initially I thought to have a good conference record, Creighton would be one of the teams we'd have a chance to sweep. Now Creighton would be a win over a ranked opponent.

Great to hear some of the talk during weekend games about how good the Big East has been thus far.

Edit - Creighton not ranked, Butler is ranked.

MU/Panther
12-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Is that the NIT or NCAA committee... :rolleyes: Seriously, its also way too early to worry about committee(s). Lets enjoy watching this team grow and get Luke out on the court. Lets Go Warriors.

BTW, Nolan RPI has MU at #69 now and Pomeroy has MU up to #105.

Relative to the BE, there could be a lot of teams in the 10-8 and 9-9 range. So these NC games are very important.

I never said I'm worried about the committee. I'm worried about the BE getting wins. The rest will take care of itself.

Nukem2
12-01-2014, 12:45 PM
I never said I'm worried about the committee. I'm worried about the BE getting wins. The rest will take care of itself.
Just having a little fun there...;)

12-01-2014, 01:09 PM
I just ran Omaha through the RPI Wizard. If they win the games they are favored to win, they should go 20-8 & finish with an RPI of 101. If they exceed expectations they will be a top-100 RPI team. Even if they come up short, say they go 17-11, they would still be a RPI top-150 team. They aren't near as bad a loss as everyone thinks they are.

IrwinFletcher
12-01-2014, 03:43 PM
I am keeping my expectations on Luke relatively low. He is a kid who played all of 10 games and about 100 minutes last year and it seems as if we might be asking a bit too much of him.

However, if he is able to make an impact, MU could make a point that without him, MU went 8-4 with close losses to OSU, MSU and UW(hopefully) and with him they went X-X in BE play. That could warrant some additional consideration from the committee.

Phantom Warrior
12-01-2014, 04:55 PM
We have to be better with him. ST is NOT a 5. He is best-suited to play the 4. Juan is definitely not a 5. He's probably more of a 3. But both are trying to defend the low post, and both are having difficulty matching up.

Luke also has to be better at finishing around the rim than ST is. My guess is that ST has missed at least 10-12 two-footers this year that most post players would make.

Luke doesn't have to be great to help us; he doesn't even have to be very good; he just needs to be decent/respectable, and we will be a better team. If he can give us 7-8 ppg and 4-5 rpg in 24-25 mpg, that would be very helpful. If he can play 30 mpg, then hopefully he'd be around 9-10 ppg and 5-6 rpg. But it's more than the stats; it's also just the presence of a 6'10"/6'11" player in the middle on both ends of the court.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-01-2014, 05:02 PM
We have to be better with him. ST is NOT a 5. He is best-suited to play the 4. Juan is definitely not a 5. He's probably more of a 3. But both are trying to defend the low post, and both are having difficulty matching up.

Luke also has to be better at finishing around the rim than ST is. My guess is that ST has missed at least 10-12 two-footers this year that most post players would make.

Luke doesn't have to be great to help us; he doesn't even have to be very good; he just needs to be decent/respectable, and we will be a better team. If he can give us 7-8 ppg and 4-5 rpg in 24-25 mpg, that would be very helpful. If he can play 30 mpg, then hopefully he'd be around 9-10 ppg and 5-6 rpg. But it's more than the stats; it's also just the presence of a 6'10"/6'11" player in the middle on both ends of the court.

Assuming Luke can give us production at the 5, I would prefer to see Juan start at the 4 as he's been pretty effective on the glass and from the wide post on offense. Send Steve to the bench for back up minutes giving Luke and Juan a blow.