PDA

View Full Version : Biz Journal on New Sports Facility

Goose85
11-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Seems more and more that the new facility will be on the current locations of the Arena and the JS Building.

A couple things from this article.

The article references Lasry as saying they will try to accommodate all affected parties, but the new arena's main tenants will be the Bucks and Marquette University.

Says the Bucks are aware of UWM concerns, but did not stay they will build a new facility. Indicated that the Bucks plan to build a practice facility that could seat fans (3,000 to 4,000) and could be used by UWM.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2014/11/lasry-bucks-goal-is-to-accommodate-uwm.html

MUBasketball
11-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Says the Bucks are aware of UWM concerns, but did not stay they will build a new facility. Indicated that the Bucks plan to build a practice facility that could seat fans (3,000 to 4,000) and could be used by UWM.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2014/11/lasry-bucks-goal-is-to-accommodate-uwm.html

A) I believe the Horizon League has a league mandate in place that a member school cannot play in a facility with a capacity less than 5,000.

B) If that isn't a mandate, then this facility referenced in the article would be no bigger than the Klotsche Center, so why not just play there and be on campus?

Not attempting to be a smart ass at all, but how can the higher ups at UWM demand/expect a new, smaller arena be built to replace the arena they are currently renting?

IWB
11-25-2014, 12:10 PM
If that is a mandate than how did they play in the Klotsche for a year?

MUBasketball
11-25-2014, 12:11 PM
If that is a mandate than how did they play in the Klotsche for a year?

If I recall correctly, the league allowed it with the belief it was a temporary move and they were raising funds to build a new arena.

MU/Panther
11-25-2014, 12:41 PM
That really can't be a Horizon League anymore, as new member Oakland (Mich.) seats under 5,000.

MUBasketball
11-25-2014, 02:20 PM
That really can't be a Horizon League anymore, as new member Oakland (Mich.) seats under 5,000.

Hope not, it's a silly rule.

MayorBeluga
11-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Sounds like the Bucks are willing to provide a limited accommodation to UWM, but this quote is, well, curious. "...and UWM officials might agree to a new venue with 6,000 to 8,000 seats, said a UWM alum who is close to the situation."

Might agree? Exactly what leverage does UWM think they have here?

MUfan12
11-25-2014, 04:29 PM

They have a petition and everything! :D

TulsaWarrior
11-25-2014, 04:58 PM
It seems a compromise would include UWM coming up with cash. The Bucks build a practice facility that could have 3 to 4 thousand seats. Panther booster's figure out a way to finance a design modification to get them the rest of the way.

The Reptile
11-25-2014, 05:45 PM
It seems a compromise would include UWM coming up with cash. The Bucks build a practice facility that could have 3 to 4 thousand seats. Panther booster's figure out a way to finance a design modification to get them the rest of the way.

Exactly.

Note to UWM: the $300k per year that you spend on naming rights would go a long way to start a fundraising drive with would cover your part of this deal. Just being UWM doesn't guarantee you to get something for nothing. In short, stop whining and bring something to the table and maybe you'll be welcome to with with the adults this Thanksgiving.

Halo
11-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Sounds like the Bucks are willing to provide a limited accommodation to UWM, but this quote is, well, curious. "...and UWM officials might agree to a new venue with 6,000 to 8,000 seats, said a UWM alum who is close to the situation."

BB FRan?

Goose85
11-26-2014, 08:12 AM
UWM can always rent out and play in the big arena if they feel there is a game where they will sell over 5,000 tickets.

The Reptile
11-26-2014, 10:45 AM
UWM can always rent out and play in the big arena if they feel there is a game where they will sell over 5,000 tickets.

I suspect that the only dates in question are the dates for their conferences tournament which would allow them to be the host school. Since MSG is the home for the BET for now the only party that they will need to clear the building's schedule are the Bucks - who would likely accommodate given their plans and its impact on UWM. So, having their own building well in excess of their season attendance average is truly a red herring argument. They can get what they need fairly easily. Getting what they want (a gift) simply for appeasement is not likely to happen.

IWB
11-26-2014, 01:10 PM
One thing that concerns me here is the lack of discussion for the Admirals. everything we are hearing is Bucks & Marquette. No, they are not an NHL franchise, they are AHL or minor league team, but they have been a long standing respected member of the community and deserve to be involved at some level. Will the new facility be designed to not include hockey? That would be a shame.

AlexJesswein
11-26-2014, 01:29 PM
One thing that concerns me here is the lack of discussion for the Admirals. everything we are hearing is Bucks & Marquette. No, they are not an NHL franchise, they are AHL or minor league team, but they have been a long standing respected member of the community and deserve to be involved at some level. Will the new facility be designed to not include hockey? That would be a shame.

I took it as they will continue to play in the BC, a stadium designed for Hockey

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-26-2014, 02:09 PM
I can't imagine the BC and a new arena co-existing, and if they did it would be a downtown disaster. Part of the problem Milwaukee has had is similar venues competing for the same events.

Goose85
11-26-2014, 02:17 PM
I took it as they will continue to play in the BC, a stadium designed for Hockey

I don't think the BC will exist once the new facility is completed.
The newest Bucks owner, Michael Fascitelli, is a big time NY real estate developer. I think he will not only help with the new facility, but he may be a guy that helps the new owners with making some money relating to Milwaukee developments. First step could be buying and controlling the development around the new facility, starting with the BC.

I'd guess with MU looking at being a financial partner, the Bucks and MU get top billing. Now if the Admirals come to the table with money, who knows.

You would think the new facility would have ice, it just wouldn't be built for hockey.

IWB
11-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Goose your last line is what I was looking for - I'm hoping the new facility is built for basketball not hockey, but that hockey can still be played there.

The minute the new facility is open for business the wrecking ball will make contact with the BC. The place needs millions in repairs, there is no way the state holds on to it.

MU/Panther
11-26-2014, 02:40 PM
I suspect that the only dates in question are the dates for their conferences tournament which would allow them to be the host school. Since MSG is the home for the BET for now the only party that they will need to clear the building's schedule are the Bucks - who would likely accommodate given their plans and its impact on UWM. So, having their own building well in excess of their season attendance average is truly a red herring argument. They can get what they need fairly easily. Getting what they want (a gift) simply for appeasement is not likely to happen.
On the Horizon League Tournament dates. It's the weekend before the Big East regular season ends. The 2nd round is a Friday but the 1 & 2 seeds have a buy. The semi finals are on Saturday nights and that gets over 8,000 in attendance. The title game is at the remaining highest seed on that Tuesday.

MU/Panther
11-26-2014, 02:51 PM
You got to think the Admirals will be 3rd on the list for the new arena. They play over 40 home games per year and average with all those dates 6,000 per game in attendance.

Goose85
11-26-2014, 04:01 PM
On the Horizon League Tournament dates. It's the weekend before the Big East regular season ends. The 2nd round is a Friday but the 1 & 2 seeds have a buy. The semi finals are on Saturday nights and that gets over 8,000 in attendance. The title game is at the remaining highest seed on that Tuesday.

But you never know who is going to host, as you have to win the league in order to host, is that correct?

I can't imagine the new facility holding an open Saturday date from the Bucks, MU, and the Admirals just in case UWM wins their league.