PDA

View Full Version : UNO Game Thread

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Wojo sticking with the same starting lineup. Have to say I've been surprised to see Cohen starting every game. Not that he hasn't impressed, but after years of Buzz the idea of a freshman starter just seems odd.

G Matt Carlino
G Jajuan Johnson
F Sandy Cohen
F Juan Anderson
F Steve Taylor

Markedman
11-22-2014, 01:23 PM
FOX Sports 1 ‏@FOXSports1 20m20 minutes ago
PROGRAM ALERT: Nebraska-Omaha vs. Marquette scheduled for 2:30pm ET on FOX Sports 2 will now air on #FOXSportsGO only.

TedBaxter
11-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks Fox.

11-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Defense terrible so far, dug a 10-2 hole with the only points coming at the line on a technical.

Djgoldnboy
11-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks Fox.

Seriously WTF.....move the game to Fox Sports Go which DirecTV doesn't have/support to show the effing Brewer playoff run from a few years back???? What kind of sh!t is this.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 01:43 PM
dj - go on your phone and you can download the fox sports go app. I'm a tech idiot and was able to do it pretty easily. Sucks to have to watch on your phone compared to a tv but it is what it is.

We came out real slow - down 12-5

Mucrisco
11-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Really? So much for DVR. Does Fox Sports Go archive the games?

11-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Lot of dumb mistakes early. Threes early in the shot clock, traveling, and sloppy defense. Tough seeing guys like Jajuan defending the post.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 01:52 PM
We have some real nice pieces on this team - especially love what I have seen so far this season from Cohen, Du Wilson and Carlino. Unfotunately none of our pieces are taller than 6'7 - tough to defend the paint.

Markedman
11-22-2014, 01:52 PM
UNO Men's Basketball ‏@UNO_Basketball 20m20 minutes ago
Due to weather delays around the nation involving today's football broadcasts, the Omaha-Marquette game is available ONLY on FoxSportsGo.

Apparently directv doesn't have a deal with foxsportsgo so I can't watch it

Djgoldnboy
11-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks but DirecTV isn't a provider listed, that's who I have my cable through, so I can't log in. Seriously Fox, WTF, to show a f#cking Brewer run from years past. Who's the jagoff that made that decision?

milkbone
11-22-2014, 01:53 PM
I have Time Warner. downloaded the app. I have a great picture on the computer

Djgoldnboy
11-22-2014, 01:55 PM
UNO Men's Basketball ‏@UNO_Basketball 20m20 minutes ago
Due to weather delays around the nation involving today's football broadcasts, the Omaha-Marquette game is available ONLY on FoxSportsGo.

Apparently directv doesn't have a deal with foxsportsgo so I can't watch it

How does that make any sense? Couldn't they just cut in when they can? Or do they not have the resources of the game? That explanation makes no sense to me.

pbiflyer
11-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Omaha on pace to score 104

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks but DirecTV isn't a provider listed, that's who I have my cable through, so I can't log in. Seriously Fox, WTF, to show a f#cking Brewer run from years past. Who's the jagoff that made that decision?

I have ATT for my tv and Verizon for my phone. I simply clicked ATT when asked and it took my directly to the game. Didn't ask me to log in or anything.

Markedman
11-22-2014, 01:56 PM
So I guess our D is as bad as it looked against OSU........

Djgoldnboy
11-22-2014, 01:57 PM
I have ATT for my tv and Verizon for my phone. I simply clicked ATT when asked and it took my directly to the game. Didn't ask me to log in or anything.

Want to set up a stream? Ha. Yeah it doesn't even have a DirecTV button as an option for providers. ugh.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Our defense is one of the poorer efforts I've seen in some time. I think Wojo has mentioned he may want to sprinkle in some zone periodically - now might be the time. We can't stay in front of them.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 02:03 PM
I don't think it will happen, but I also don't think it's an overreaction to say we have a legit shot at losing this game. I can't remember a poorer defensive effort for a half. Halfcourt, transition, mixing personnel, it doesnt matter right now - It's a layup line for Omaha.

milkbone
11-22-2014, 02:04 PM
The guards D is terrible

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 02:08 PM
The guards D is terrible

With our inability to stop penetration and zero rim protector it could be a tough go of things on the defensive end.

11-22-2014, 02:09 PM
What got into Derrick? Almost single handedly lifting the offense.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 02:09 PM
In the huddle, Wojo mentioned how we need to stop taking quick shots. I've counted 4 shots with less than 2 passes since that huddle. Wojo not getting through to these guys - at least with this aspect of the game.

Markedman
11-22-2014, 02:17 PM
So this team lost to Seattle 98-74.........

Mucrisco
11-22-2014, 02:17 PM
For those that are scouting HS games right now, can you guys continue to update? Thanks.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 02:19 PM
For those that are scouting HS games right now, can you guys continue to update? Thanks.

ha! well played

11-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Buzz just lost to Appalachian State...

Markedman
11-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Check out the rebound stats........

MarquetteMBB ‏@MarquetteMBB 3m3 minutes ago
Duane Wilson's nine points are a career best. MU with 7 steals on Omaha's 11 TOs, but is being doubled up in rebounds 22-11.

11-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I've been tweeting updates as well. Hard to do both. First half thoughts...

Our guards are not quick. Carter and Patterson are abusing us. Carlino especially stands out as a liability.

Taylor is a great athlete but certainly not a great defender. Gets pulled out of position to easily and often over pursues which gives his man easy looks. Bad enough we are small, it's worse that our biggest guy is a poor defender too.

Derrick really provided a spark offensively. Drove well and created for others. Against a team this quick he should get all Carlino's second half minutes.

TedBaxter
11-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Steve Taylor is not a great athlete.

Markedman
11-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Steve Taylor is not a great athlete.

+1....I was hoping he would have improved defensively with a new coach but he just doesn't seem to get it....

Markedman
11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Layups and dunks.........

TedBaxter
11-22-2014, 02:44 PM
I can't see the game and it sounds like nobody is getting back on defense at all.

Mucrisco
11-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Score?

Halo
11-22-2014, 02:48 PM
I can't see the game and it sounds like nobody is getting back on defense at all.

Be glad you aren't watching. Going to be a long year, but this is a transition year to Wojos system.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Score?

56-51

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400586882

Halo
11-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Chris Rock at PG for Omaha killing us.

mufansince72
11-22-2014, 03:04 PM
Score update please?

Markedman
11-22-2014, 03:04 PM
It sounds like everytime we score NO gets a layup on the other end within about 5 seconds......how can that happen? Are they bucket hanging? are guys tired?

Markedman
11-22-2014, 03:05 PM
fast break points for Omaha 27......wow

MU down 6

mufansince72
11-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Not sounding very good. I noticed that Carlino has only taken like three shots and Jajuan has not even scored.

11-22-2014, 03:11 PM
77-68 Omaha leads. Not fast enough on defense, not efficient enough on offense. Carlino has been woeful.

11-22-2014, 03:12 PM
5:46 to play.

Markedman
11-22-2014, 03:12 PM
JJ played so bad in the first half I don't think he is even playing much of at all in the 2nd....Carlino just launched a deep 3 ...5 seconds into the shot clock......

We just aren't very good....can't defend at all and can't rebound.....and this isn't a big team

Halo
11-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Uno shooting like 60%

mufansince72
11-22-2014, 03:18 PM
I knew MU was going to be bad this year but not this bad.

Markedman
11-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Homer just said "At least when they score they score quickly"....so we got that going for us which is nice.....

Mucrisco
11-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the updates guys.

Markedman
11-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Carlino has been just horrid.......

mufan2003
11-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Providence over Florida State 80-54. The rest of the Big East is taking care of business. MU not so much.

11-22-2014, 03:33 PM
93-85, we're going to lose this. Ouch.

Markedman
11-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Worst loss since?

Markedman
11-22-2014, 03:46 PM
CollegeHoopNews ‏@CollegeHoopNews 2m2 minutes ago
Good win for Providence today 80-54 over Florida State. LaDontae Henton had 24pts for the Friars. #Friars

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Worst loss since?

Have been trying to think of one. They recently converted from d2 to d1 if that puts things into perspective.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Really want to hear wojos post game comments. Nevermind the lack of talent, He's clearly not getting through to these guys. Transition defense and patience on offense are things he preached prior to and during the game and the players didn't give a damn about either.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Really want to hear wojos post game comments. Nevermind the lack of talent, He's clearly not getting through to these guys. Transition defense and patience on offense are things he preached prior to and during the game and the players didn't give a damn about either.

Way to early to make a statement like that. It's a bad loss, but this is a young inexperienced team, these things happen.

warriorfan4life
11-22-2014, 04:56 PM
The bench can often be the best motivator, but that is a hollow threat with just nine eligible players on the roster. Wojo currently has little choice but to play guys regardless of how they follow the game plan.

11-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Tough to see where we're at considering how I felt less than 2 years ago coming off an Elite 8. When it looked like we had Vander, Jamil, and Davante all coming back as seniors, quality developing depth in Steve, Juan, CO, and Derrick, and a landmark class with Deonte, Duane, and Jajuan. Who would have imagined it would all turn into what feels kind of like a dumpster fire this quickly?

It's not fair to put this all on Wojo. He is trying to manage another guy's players, and has very few guys with much defensive acumen. But still, this could be a tough season to watch. Hopefully they will develop and start to get it, but if not, how long will it take to really retool the roster? Fischer, Heldt, and Ellenson give us some size, and you figure the defense almost has to get better as these guys figure it out, but it could be 2-3 years before we really see what Wojo wants to do here.

unclejohn
11-22-2014, 05:27 PM
It is always iffy when a new coach comes along. I think this team would look better under its old coach. There is a learning curve for the players, and for the coach, who just coached his third collegiate game. it looks like this season might not turn out to be better than expected, like I hoped. But it will have some good points, and the future is bright.

TheSultan
11-22-2014, 05:27 PM
I think it is a bit of a cop out to say that this is another guy's players. He's had eight months to make them his players. Now I am not jumping off the ledge here, but this looks like a young team coached by someone without a great deal of experience. How they rebound from this over the next two weeks I think is going to tell a lot about how this season is going to pan out.

The Reptile
11-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Tough to see where we're at considering how I felt less than 2 years ago coming off an Elite 8. When it looked like we had Vander, Jamil, and Davante all coming back as seniors, quality developing depth in Steve, Juan, CO, and Derrick, and a landmark class with Deonte, Duane, and Jajuan. Who would have imagined it would all turn into what feels kind of like a dumpster fire this quickly?

It's not fair to put this all on Wojo. He is trying to manage another guy's players, and has very few guys with much defensive acumen. But still, this could be a tough season to watch. Hopefully they will develop and start to get it, but if not, how long will it take to really retool the roster? Fischer, Heldt, and Ellenson give us some size, and you figure the defense almost has to get better as these guys figure it out, but it could be 2-3 years before we really see what Wojo wants to do here.

When we went to the Elite 8 we had better guard play. Today, we have guards that can score but can't defend or guards that can defend that can't score. In a guards game that's not ideal.

MUwarrior1090
11-22-2014, 05:39 PM
We can score points. We can't stop anyone. Maybe we should try a zone or pack line defense.

kneelb4zerg
11-22-2014, 05:39 PM
I was more worried about the offense than the defense. Wojo has been publicly stressing defense. Aside from forcing turnovers what is different about the defense Wojo is trying to run? Does he not have the right personnel to run what he wants?

Say what you want about Buzz, but that guy adapted to his personnel.

11-22-2014, 05:40 PM
I definitely see the deficiencies, just amazing how we feel so far so fast. That got me thinking of the differences between the team Buzz inherited and the one he left us with. What I wouldn't give for a Dwight Burke type on this team. And when you look at the Amigos they were all pretty good two way players. Same with Lazar. As good a recruiter as Buzz is, Crean did a much better job assembling a team.

11-22-2014, 05:42 PM
We can score points. We can't stop anyone. Maybe we should try a zone or pack line defense.

I was thinking about a zone but how well would it work with such a small team? Seems like the gaps in the zone would be bigger and easier to exploit.

11-22-2014, 05:48 PM
I think it is a bit of a cop out to say that this is another guy's players. He's had eight months to make them his players. Now I am not jumping off the ledge here, but this looks like a young team coached by someone without a great deal of experience. How they rebound from this over the next two weeks I think is going to tell a lot about how this season is going to pan out.

8 months isn't really that long, is it? Love him or hate him, I do think Chicos' philosophy about giving a coach 5 years before you really evaluate him is fair. I'm not saying you can't make some judgments earlier than that, but 8 months in the career of a college player is a pretty short time period.

MUwarrior1090
11-22-2014, 05:50 PM
I was thinking about a zone but how well would it work with such a small team? Seems like the gaps in the zone would be bigger and easier to exploit.

Yeah, I'm not sure. What I do know is that the high, tight ball pressure isn't going to work when the guards can't stay in front of their man. Breaks down the entire defense right from the point.

11-22-2014, 06:01 PM
The worst for me was in the second half when Carlino got blown by, chased his man, and fouled him from behind. One of those awful fouls you can see coming from a mile away. And a fifth year senior...

Nukem2
11-22-2014, 06:37 PM
The worst for me was in the second half when Carlino got blown by, chased his man, and fouled him from behind. One of those awful fouls you can see coming from a mile away. And a fifth year senior...
Derrick and Juan each had 2 bad turnovers in 2nd half when MU had tied the score or went up by 2. More senior leadership.

Nukem2
11-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Yep not enough height or length to be effective in a Zone. Forget pressure and get the heck back on defense.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Way to early to make a statement like that. It's a bad loss, but this is a young inexperienced team, these things happen.

Agreed that it's early but after three games how can you say anything but hes not getting through to them. If you listened to him all week as well as during the huddles in today's game he preached patience on offense and transition defense. The players placed zero emphasis on either - how can you not say that? Can it change?...of course. But as of three games, experience or not, they are not hearing his message - it's evident.

Nukem2
11-22-2014, 06:47 PM
As I've been posting for quite a while, this really is a rebuilding year from all perspectives. Just what it is. Enjoy watching the young guys develop. The seniors are not gonna win any games, so their PT should decrease as the season progresses.

Halo
11-22-2014, 07:40 PM
With basically 7 guys he was willing to play today, Wojo had little options.

Nukem2
11-22-2014, 07:44 PM
With basically 7 guys he was willing to play today, Wojo had little options.

Wonder what the deal is with Dawson... Two DNPs in a row with only 4 minutes in the UTM game.

kneelb4zerg
11-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Wonder what the deal is with Dawson... Two DNPs in a row with only 4 minutes in the UTM game.

He stinks? That's my guess.

Nukem2
11-22-2014, 07:49 PM
He stinks? That's my guess.
Wow...that was cruel and crude.... (:

TheSultan
11-22-2014, 08:00 PM
It's a little blunt, but Dawson is obviously not as good as some people think he is.

Nukem2
11-22-2014, 08:05 PM
It's a little blunt, but Dawson is obviously not as good as some people think he is.
Not blunt, just unseemly crude.

79warrior
11-23-2014, 01:28 AM

Quite honestly, a number of players are no where near as good as fans had hoped. The ripping of Wojo on the other boards by some is pathetic. He was dealt a shi##y hand. Hard to believe JJJ was a Top 40 player. I just don't see it. No front line. Dawson can't even get off the bench to call a timeout. Is he that bad? This team is in a world of hurt. Luke will help but this is still going to be a very long season.

TheSultan
11-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Quite honestly, a number of players are no where near as good as fans had hoped. The ripping of Wojo on the other boards by some is pathetic. He was dealt a shi##y hand. Hard to believe JJJ was a Top 40 player. I just don't see it. No front line. Dawson can't even get off the bench to call a timeout. Is he that bad? This team is in a world of hurt. Luke will help but this is still going to be a very long season.

I don't think Wojo is completely without blame here. He wasn't dealt a "sh**y" hand. He was dealt an incomplete team with a lot of athleticism and talent. Certainly enough to be able to beat Nebraska-Omaha at home. I am also concerned about transition defense and hustle in general. In many ways that's a coaching issue. Someone floated elsewhere that he might be used to dealing with players who have had better coaching in high school - that Duke targeted those types of players. And we have talked before how raw Deonte and JJJ were when they got to MU. Maybe he is just learning that.

Now I am not going to throw a freshman coach under the bus after three games just like I am not going to throw a freshman player under the bus. I think Wojo is going to have a bright future as a head coach. But he has things to learn and experience as well. If it were easy, everyone could do it.

11-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Someone on Scoop made a great post about these players having raw athleticism but not necessarily being well-coached from early on. Burton is a great example of someone who has generally been able to just dominate physically, but hasn't necessarily ever had great coaching (leaving Brewster may have been a mistake in that regard). It isn't just that these kids are learning a new system, they also have to learn how to learn, how to receive real coaching.

One thing with Buzz, he didn't really seem to have a lot of set plays on offense. When you had guys willing to take their shot, that worked fine. But when guys weren't as self-motivated, like last year when players like Jamil, Derrick, and Jake logged major minutes but were all willing to defer to someone else, things just kind of broke down. In the past, that was okay because the focus always seemed to be coaching defense while letting the offensive players play. With Wojo coming from a more structured style, he has to build these guys from the ground up. He needs to teach an offense, a defense, while at the same time teaching them how to be receptive to teaching itself. This could be a long process, but I think it will really help as we see him bring in his own guys.

TheSultan
11-23-2014, 08:16 AM
But at some point your coaching as to adapt. I mean it's not as though these guys are seniors. He is dealing with two sophomores in JJJ and Deonte who are hopefully going to be around awhile.

I think of Buzz's second year and the midgets team. That was hardly a team built with Buzz's type of players, but they competed and were fun to watch. Of course that team was filled with seniors and had its stretches of poor play as well. But Buzz adapted his style to fit his team. I hope that Wojo isn't so focused on implementing his system for his type of players, that he can't adapt for the players who are here right now.

Good coaches don't sacrifice the short term for the sake of the long term. Good coaches figure out how to do both.

11-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Good coaches don't sacrifice the short term for the sake of the long term. Good coaches figure out how to do both.

I'm not sure I agree with that. We live in a win-now society, but does that necessarily create the best long-term product? The year before Coach K got to Duke, the team was in the Elite 8. He made the NIT his first year, then had back-to-back losing seasons. They were calling for his head in Durham. Instead of firing him, the university decided to let him finish his contract. I think it worked out pretty well. Rick Pitino went 14-14 in his first year at Kentucky, a team that was one year removed from a 9-year NCAA streak. They stuck with him and he went on to have a decent career. Billy Donovan had 2 losing seasons at Florida, a team that had been in the Final Four just 2 years before he arrived, but that worked out okay.

Sometimes you come into a situation that requires a complete overhaul. That was the case for Coach K, Pitino, and Donovan. All of their bosses stuck by them and ended up with multiple Final Fours and at least one NCAA championship banner. I'm not saying Wojo will do the same, but he came into a tough situation and it's entirely possible that the best way to fix it is to tear everything down. If we don't make the NCAAs this year or even have a losing record, I still think it's worth sticking by the guy to give him a chance to install what he wants to do. If that takes 3-4 years, so be it.

TheSultan
11-23-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure I agree with that. We live in a win-now society, but does that necessarily create the best long-term product? The year before Coach K got to Duke, the team was in the Elite 8. He made the NIT his first year, then had back-to-back losing seasons. They were calling for his head in Durham. Instead of firing him, the university decided to let him finish his contract. I think it worked out pretty well. Rick Pitino went 14-14 in his first year at Kentucky, a team that was one year removed from a 9-year NCAA streak. They stuck with him and he went on to have a decent career. Billy Donovan had 2 losing seasons at Florida, a team that had been in the Final Four just 2 years before he arrived, but that worked out okay.

Sometimes you come into a situation that requires a complete overhaul. That was the case for Coach K, Pitino, and Donovan. All of their bosses stuck by them and ended up with multiple Final Fours and at least one NCAA championship banner. I'm not saying Wojo will do the same, but he came into a tough situation and it's entirely possible that the best way to fix it is to tear everything down. If we don't make the NCAAs this year or even have a losing record, I still think it's worth sticking by the guy to give him a chance to install what he wants to do. If that takes 3-4 years, so be it.

Can it create the best long term product? Sure. Why not? For example, if MU is having trouble keeping guards in front of them on the perimeter, why not try a different type of defense? Zone? How is that taking away from what he might want to build over the long run? I guess what I am saying is that I don't think a coach should force players into his system as much as he should adjust the system to make use of the players he has now. That doesn't mean he can't implement it fully down the road.

I have a hard time comparing Wojo to Pitino, Coack K, etc. because I have no recollection of the talent that any of them inherited. Wojo has a team with talent. It's raw talent. It's incomplete. But it's there.

And maybe I am exaggerating. I just want to see what happens from here on.

11-23-2014, 09:52 AM
There's raw athletic talent, but that doesn't mean they have the capacity to be a great basketball team. Jamail Jones and Erik Williams had talent. Juan and Steve have talent. But none of them have been consistently productive D1 performers, and that's half of Buzz's top 100 recruits before the 2013 class. How do we know that Jajuan, Deonte, and Duane won't be just as ineffective in the long run as the guys above? Sure, they've shown flashes on offense, but nothing consistent, and certainly nothing on defense.

I'm also not willing to compare Wojo to the names above just yet, but I do think we need to be patient. He has seen these guys for 3 actual games. When Buzz took over, he had four players that would end up in the top-10 all-time leading scorers at Marquette. Guys that had proven they could succeed at this level. And he had a year on the sidelines with them beforehand. Wojo has a few months with them and 3 games. Will any of them end up in the top-10 in scoring? Maybe, but none of them are close to that yet. Wojo was left with a completely different situation than the one Buzz had, and by the time Buzz had to make his adjustments for the midgets team, he had been with the key players for 2 years.

I guess I just want to preach patience. This won't be an overnight thing, and we may just be playing for a draft pick this year.

MUAlphaBangura
11-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Can it create the best long term product? Sure. Why not? For example, if MU is having trouble keeping guards in front of them on the perimeter, why not try a different type of defense? Zone? How is that taking away from what he might want to build over the long run? I guess what I am saying is that I don't think a coach should force players into his system as much as he should adjust the system to make use of the players he has now. That doesn't mean he can't implement it fully down the road.

I have a hard time comparing Wojo to Pitino, Coack K, etc. because I have no recollection of the talent that any of them inherited. Wojo has a team with talent. It's raw talent. It's incomplete. But it's there.

And maybe I am exaggerating. I just want to see what happens from here on.

Agree with almost all, but you can't discount the intangibles that seemingly all the coaches have, but the players lack. That is the mental toughness and the will to find a way to win no matter the circumstances. That is an unteachable element. Either you have it or don't. I am afraid the majority of our players don't have it. And no amount of teaching by Wojo will instill that.

TheSultan
11-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Agree with almost all, but you can't discount the intangibles that seemingly all the coaches have, but the players lack. That is the mental toughness and the will to find a way to win no matter the circumstances. That is an unteachable element. Either you have it or don't. I am afraid the majority of our players don't have it. And no amount of teaching by Wojo will instill that.

I hear ya. And I'll say one more thing. I'm beginning to see why Buzz played the players he did last year.

11-23-2014, 10:35 AM
I hear ya. And I'll say one more thing. I'm beginning to see why Buzz played the players he did last year.

Agree with this completely. Buzz always talked about putting a chip on players' shoulders. Not many of these guys play with that type of intensity, and the ones that do don't have the talent to win games on their own.

kneelb4zerg
11-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Maybe having a horrible year, or at least losing a buy game in embarrassing fashion, will toughen them up. Hopefully just the latter.

Nukem2
11-23-2014, 12:39 PM
There's raw athletic talent, but that doesn't mean they have the capacity to be a great basketball team. Jamail Jones and Erik Williams had talent. Juan and Steve have talent. But none of them have been consistently productive D1 performers, and that's half of Buzz's top 100 recruits before the 2013 class. How do we know that Jajuan, Deonte, and Duane won't be just as ineffective in the long run as the guys above? Sure, they've shown flashes on offense, but nothing consistent, and certainly nothing on defense.

I'm also not willing to compare Wojo to the names above just yet, but I do think we need to be patient. He has seen these guys for 3 actual games. When Buzz took over, he had four players that would end up in the top-10 all-time leading scorers at Marquette. Guys that had proven they could succeed at this level. And he had a year on the sidelines with them beforehand. Wojo has a few months with them and 3 games. Will any of them end up in the top-10 in scoring? Maybe, but none of them are close to that yet. Wojo was left with a completely different situation than the one Buzz had, and by the time Buzz had to make his adjustments for the midgets team, he had been with the key players for 2 years.

I guess I just want to preach patience. This won't be an overnight thing, and we may just be playing for a draft pick this year.
Yup. A lot of paralysis by analysis going on re all of this. Patience is the word this year.