PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Cohen Reminds Me Of....

Phantom Warrior
11-16-2014, 05:02 PM
Watching Cohen, I found myself thinking about a young Earl Tatum.

Earl came to MU as the "Black Jerry West." He was viewed as the #1 player on the East Coast and a high school all-American. Cohen came to MU with nowhere near that level of fanfare. And I'm certainly not implying that Cohen will end up being a college all-American like Earl was after a terrific senior season. But he plays a lot like Earl did. (Earl hardly played as a freshman but started as a sophomore and averaged around 10 ppg.)

Earl never looked like he was working really hard. He kind of glided around the court, on both offense and defense. He did not look particularly quick, but he was. He was, quite simply, smooth.

To me, Cohen also looks like he glides around the court. He doesn't look Jerel-intense or Dominic-intense or Travis-intense. He also doesn't look as quick as he is.

His shot is also somewhat like Earl's, more of a set shot than a true jump shot. He seems to shoot on the way up rather than at the top of his jump. And both Earl's shot and Cohen's shot had high trajectories.

In '74 Earl had to guard David Thompson, possibly the best athlete to ever play D-1 hoops. Al said that Earl had the athleticism to force Thompson to work for his points, which he did.

I'm guessing others will think I've lost a few marbles, but I do see quite a bit of Earl in Cohen's game.

Nukem2
11-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Sandy is very smooth, but he reminds me of someone else. Can't place the name right now, but it's not William Earl Tatum.