PDA

View Full Version : BCS Meetings This Week - Could Impact MU

ge1974
04-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Very important BCS meetings this week in Florida. Check this quote out from the South Bend Tribune:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/sbt-notre-dame-football-its-all-in-the-details-20120422,0,1922046.story?page=2

Point after

Here’s an interesting offering from Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick on BCS talks and realignment.

Swarbrick and ND coach Brian Kelly took part in a Q-and-A Saturday night at the Joyce Center. The questions were submitted by those in attendance at the Notre Dame Monogram Club annual dinner.

“The goal and priority is to remain independent (in football),” Swarbrick said. “What the postseason becomes is the linchpin. There’s still one chapter to come as far as conference realignment, and that will come after these BCS discussions.

“These are an important 3½ days (of meetings) this next week in Florida. (The result) will have a significant impact on us one way or another.”

Anything which impacts ND will impact the Big East and MU. Stay tuned.

Mark Miller
04-23-2012, 02:06 PM
I dislike college football. Used to be a fan, but it continues to wreak havoc on the best game in the land, college basketball.

CaribouJim
04-24-2012, 09:36 AM
I dislike college football. Used to be a fan, but it continues to wreak havoc on the best game in the land, college basketball.

My feelings as well not to mention the 4 hour games and each season ending inconclusively.

Goose85
04-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Love college football - despise the BCS. Ruining the college athletics landscape.

Markedman
04-24-2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18812412/most-likely-bcs-playoff-scenario-four-teams-semifinals-off-campus

IWB
04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
A couple of things.... first off, I have always said a playoff WILL NOT WORK. The answer is a plus one, to be played in the week between the AFC/NFC Championships and the Super Bowl.

Anyway, the biggest question I have, is this - why is the NCAA never involved with any of this? I hate the BCS. This should be an NCAA decision, not the decision of 6 conferences.

Goose85
04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
A couple of things.... first off, I have always said a playoff WILL NOT WORK. The answer is a plus one, to be played in the week between the AFC/NFC Championships and the Super Bowl.

Anyway, the biggest question I have, is this - why is the NCAA never involved with any of this? I hate the BCS. This should be an NCAA decision, not the decision of 6 conferences.

My sentiments exactly. Why do 6 conferences get to decide who gets to play and how much they get.

If you take the kids on Boise State and Alabama and switch them is Boise State not the best team? Could be but because they are not in a BCS conference you will never know. Problem is, with football most teams only play 1 real non conference game and then everything else is in conference so unlike basketball, how do you really know how good a football conference is year in and year out.

The NCAA probably spends more money relating for football elligibilty and gets nothing for it.

The NCAA should step and propose the and 1 like IWB suggested.

GOMU1104
04-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Have you ever read "Death to the BCS" by Wetzel and Passan? Your feelings on a playoff may change...I know mine did.

Why is it not an NCAA decision? Because the NCAA outsourced D1 college football to the BCS.

IWB
04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't think the NCAA outsourced it, I think the BCS stepped in and took it.

Here is my #1 reason why a playoff won't work. Look at the NCAA basketball tournament. When MU was selected to play the first round in Boise, Raleigh, San Diego, Santa Cruz and Anaheim, what happened? In the hour afterwards, Marquette fans went to look at flights and within 1 hour, the price went from $250-$450. For those that bought the bullet and clicked purchase, they next had to look at hotels. Hard to find as everything is booked. That is with a basketball tournament in town that seats 18,000.

Ok - now another issue with the tourney - 1st & 2nd round, each of the 8 teams get what, 1,500 tickets to sell? The host team sells the rest. They usually don't. They came up with the pod system, trying to keep travel down and schools closer to home because of the empty stadiums. Those empty stadiums hold 18,000 fans, and sell tickets to 8 schools plus the host school/city.

Now consider a 100,000 seat stadium with only 2 teams and a host "bowl". The two teams are responsible for 2/3rds of the tickets. How in the world do 66,000 fans book flights and hotels with a 6 day window? You will end up with empty stadiums, just like the early bowl games.

I am not against a playoff, just think its a logistical nightmare. I think the +1, with a delay, will allow everyone to get their plans in order.

GOMU1104
04-24-2012, 02:27 PM
You are assuming that there would be neutral sites...there wouldn't. The higher seeded team would get the home game...like the NFL.

IWB
04-24-2012, 02:31 PM
That would have a possibility, but that would diminish the Bowl games.

One of the angles that has been widely discussed was to use the Bowl games as host sites, which is what I am referring to.

MUMac
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
That would have a possibility, but that would diminish the Bowl games.

One of the angles that has been widely discussed was to use the Bowl games as host sites, which is what I am referring to.

The reason it never happens is the bowl games. I wonder though, with bowl games losing more and more money, if that might change in the future. My preference would be to follow the D2 & D3 process. I doubt it would happen. And to me, that is a shame. The process as it is now leaves me with waning interest each year. I watched just parts of the Championship Game this year. Watching less and less each year.

Goose85
04-24-2012, 02:53 PM
One problem that was brought up with respect to schools hosting playoff game is what happens if TCU, Oregon, Stanford, or other schools with stadiums of 50,000 would host the game. What about schools like Wake Forest with 35,000?

The game would be a sellout, but would the BCS and their greed be ok with a game in a stadium whose capacity is less than the 2011-2012 attendance of bowl games like Liberty, Meineke Car Care, Insight, Music City, Alamo, Holiday, Chick-Fil-A, etc all of which were not BCS bowls but drew over 50,000?

My guess is they keep the bowl structure in place and add one. If they are worried about attendance don't name the bowl that will host until season ends. Just make sure you have some early bowl games in a few different regions (New Orleans Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Almo Bowl, Motor City Bowl, etc). Probably too complicated.

Markedman
04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Good luck with this one...lol

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18842221