PDA

View Full Version : DWade vs. LBJ in...

CaribouJim
11-07-2014, 12:49 PM
...blocked shots. One of my nephews sent this to me last night. I don't have ESPN insider so don't have access to whole article.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11830602/nba-why-dwyane-wade-best-shot-blocking-guard-all?src=mobile

To put in perspective, he has more career blocks than LeBron while playing 120 less games and giving up 5" in both height & wingspan. Also has almost three times more blocks than anyone 6'4" and under.

Pretty cool.

mufan2003
11-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Yep, leading shot-blocker all-time for guys 6'4" and under. That is why I agree with Mark Jackson that D Wade is the third best SG all-time behind MJ and Kobe. Some put Jerry West 3rd (I was not alive when Jerry played). However, I do not get the impression Jerry could defend and block shots like Wade. Nor did he have the athleticism/strength that Wade had to finish at the rim over bigger players. I think as decades go by, players get stronger and more athletic. Maybe that will eventually plateau, seeing as weight training today seems about as advanced as it could get.

CaribouJim
11-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Yep, leading shot-blocker all-time for guys 6'4" and under. That is why I agree with Mark Jackson that D Wade is the third best SG all-time behind MJ and Kobe. Some put Jerry West 3rd (I was not alive when Jerry played). However, I do not get the impression Jerry could defend and block shots like Wade. Nor did he have the athleticism/strength that Wade had to finish at the rim over bigger players. I think as decades go by, players get stronger and more athletic. Maybe that will eventually plateau, seeing as weight training today seems about as advanced as it could get.

West wasn't a shot blocker but was a very good defender and had a sweeter than sweet jumper. I have them tied for 3rd and can live w/DWade being considered no worse than 4th.

It is hard to compare generations though. Other than conditioning and equipment, I think one of the bigger differences in the present era and West's is players today, for the most part, are pretty darn good with both hands. Looking at video from the '60's and '70's you really don't see that.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Wade was an excellent shot-blocker when he was here. Seemed like he could come out of thin air to swat a shot away from behind.