PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any MU fans in Houston?!

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-27-2014, 06:03 PM
So I may be relocating for work, and it looks like it is going to be to Houston, TX... While I look forward to warmer winters, I have two questions... Any overall feedback on Houston? And 2nd any idea how difficult it will be for me to see all the games in another city? I have season tickets now and never miss a game, but I get the feeling now it is going to be tough... I'm thinking I'll end up picking up direct TV so that I can get NFL Sunday ticket, but is there another sports package I'll need to cover MU games?

farmerdoc
10-27-2014, 06:09 PM
I am relocating to the Dallas-Fort Worth area as we speak. I believe that direct TV will have a package we should be able to use to get our games. I think making sure that FSN is part of you package is the key to getting most of the games.

Have a good friend that lives in the Houston area. It can get pretty hot and humid in the summer, but make sure you have access to water (pool) and you will be ok. Lots to do, and alot of things within a easy drive of Houston.

Only thing that freaks me out, is that the lakes down there can have gators in them. Not a big fan of big toothy lizards!

CaribouJim
10-27-2014, 07:09 PM
I lived in Austin and San Antonio from '84 thru '91 and overlapped w/ a brother who lived in Houston - went to grad school at Rice, bosses who lived there, and later a GF who lived there so I spent a lot of time in Houston. Overall I liked it - not as much as Austin or San Antonio, but better than Dallas IMO - worked for a Dallas based company for 9 years - too glitzy for me but that is a taste thing.

Humidity, more than the heat, is a killer and mosquitos the size of cars - July and August are killers. Great TexMex food, hospitals, museums and Rice area is really nice. Great sports town - check out Griff's sports bar - great place - saw the Royals and Cards in '85 WS in the blown call game: http://www.griffshouston.net

You're no more than 3 hours from both Austin and San Antonio - both great places for a 3-day weekend, especially if you have to score brownie points with the wife if you are married.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-27-2014, 07:21 PM
I am married and am well aware that the heat will be brutal from June to September, but given the winters here in Milwaukee I'm used to spending long stretches indoors avoiding crappy weather. While I'm not a HUGE lake person I am going to make sure whatever home we buy has a pool... I've heard they have monster bugs down there, like most of the south, I'm a little freaked out by roaches, and scorpions as that's not something we have to deal with here in MKE, my wife is from South Africa so is more than familiar with dealing with warm climate buggers...

Love that it's a sports town as I'm obviously a huge sports fan, hoping MU can play a game down in that region at some point so I can catch up, otherwise I'm going to try to make it to at least one game a year somewhere.

MU/Panther
10-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Make sure you have Fox Sports 1 and CBS Sports Network to see most if not all the Big East games.

IWB
10-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Look up Joe Fulce. He loves hanging with MU fans.

TulsaWarrior
10-29-2014, 11:50 AM
When I lived in Tulsa ATT Uverse sports package meant I saw all but a game or two. With the Big East move to Fox Sports One and CBS Sports Network things were a little more difficult for me in Eugene, Oregon. The big problem was Xfinity did not carry Fox Sports 2 and that meant if an earlier game ran long there was no option to see the first part of the Marquette game. Perhaps Fox Sports Go will clear up that problem with video streaming. Still no FS2 with Xfinity in Eugene.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Is Fulce in Houston? I thought he was from Plano?

IWB
10-29-2014, 02:06 PM
He's actually in Dallas.