PDA

View Full Version : SI Article on Wojo and MU

jpvegas52
10-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Excellent article on Wojo and MU and his approach. He's trying to be approachable and foster communications among the players and himself. He moved an office down by the players locker room to be more in the loop. If one player forgets to communicate an assignment offensively or defensively, everyone goes to the line to run.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/10/24/steve-wojciechowski-marquette-big-east

Mark Miller
10-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Very good article, but the term "rebuilding" in the headline is a bit off the mark. This is a program that is a year removed from a Big East title and Elite Eight appearance.

Nukem2
10-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Very good article, but the term "rebuilding" in the headline is a bit off the mark. This is a program that is a year removed from a Big East title and Elite Eight appearance.
Given what is gone from that team along with the coaching change, I suspect rebuilding is probably the correct word...?

Mark Miller
10-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Rebuilding = when Kevin O'Neill took over from Bob Dukiet.

MUMac
10-25-2014, 05:27 AM
Rebuilding = when Kevin O'Neill took over from Bob Dukiet.

I would use reloading, rather than rebuilding. It was not broken ...

Nukem2
10-25-2014, 09:36 AM
I would use reloading, rather than rebuilding. It was not broken ...
Not so sure I agree completely. Reloading is when you have an existing program and the coach is replacing 2 or 3 significant contributors. MU has had a lot of roster departures and non-arrivals over the past 19 months since that Elite 8 along with the significant coaching/system changes as well as youth and/or inexperience/newness within the current squad ( which is shorthanded and simply short). This is a lot closer to rebuilding than reloading. That Elite 8 experience is history. The only ones involved with that experience are Steve, Derrick and Juan who collectively had 121 points, 110 rebounds, 41 assists and 35 turnovers in 610 minutes of BE play leading into that Elite 8 run. Now, I have a lot of faith in Wojo and company going forward, but he sure has a huge job for this season.