PDA

View Full Version : Journal Buyouts

IWB
10-24-2014, 04:07 PM
We already knew Michael Hunt was taking a buyout at the Milwaukee Journal, but also taking buyouts this round are sports guys Don Walker and Bob Wolfley. Wolfley had been there 30 years, Walker 36 and Hunt 25.

I got to know Wolfley aka "Lobo" and Walker pretty well when I was there, great guys. Can't imagine what the Journal will be a year from now.

Halo
10-24-2014, 05:31 PM
We already knew Michael Hunt was taking a buyout at the Milwaukee Journal, but also taking buyouts this round are sports guys Don Walker and Bob Wolfley. Wolfley had been there 30 years, Walker 36 and Hunt 25.

I got to know Wolfley aka "Lobo" and Walker pretty well when I was there, great guys. Can't imagine what the Journal will be a year from now.

I saw that. Here is Wolfley's article. Just a small blurb at the end by the editor with a mention.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/280268012.html

AbovetheRim
10-26-2014, 05:01 PM

I'd be interested, Jim, to hear your take on Walker's contribution to the "noise" prior to MU's departure for the Sweet 16 a few years back. Personally, I was really turned off by it. Yellow journalism, IMO.

TheSultan
10-26-2014, 05:13 PM
I'd be interested, Jim, to hear your take on Walker's contribution to the "noise" prior to MU's departure for the Sweet 16 a few years back. Personally, I was really turned off by it. Yellow journalism, IMO.

Someone over on the Scoop board said that Walker is "a season ticket holder and a huge MU fan."

IWB
10-27-2014, 06:38 AM
Walker is a season ticket holder and an MU fan. I believe he is also an alum. At that time he was given an assignment and did his job.

MU/Panther
10-27-2014, 07:41 AM
I see him in the hallway at many games. So, I'm guessing he is there most , if not all the time.

Gato78
10-27-2014, 08:04 AM
I believe he is also "employed" by Marquette right now on a Journalism fellowship.

MUfan12
10-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Walker is a season ticket holder and an MU fan. I believe he is also an alum. At that time he was given an assignment and did his job.

So someone at the JS decided that two days before a Sweet 16 game was a good time to search the MU roster for muni citations? Gotta love that hometown paper.

TheSultan
10-27-2014, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't doubt they search muni citations as a matter of course.

Nukem2
10-27-2014, 09:45 AM
So someone at the JS decided that two days before a Sweet 16 game was a good time to search the MU roster for muni citations? Gotta love that hometown paper.Was there ever a citation? Seemed to be more in the realm of allegations? Now, there were citations when those 4 or 5 guys were ticketed for being underage in a drinking establishment.

IWB
10-27-2014, 11:13 AM
The citations were not issued until long after everything happened.

AbovetheRim
10-27-2014, 11:59 AM
The citations were not issued until long after everything happened.

Had the same thing happened at UW, I'm confident in saying that no citations would have been issued and it certainly wouldn't have been brought to light immediately before the team's departure for a huge set of games, if ever. The way Walker covered the "story" and ardently defended his work displayed the double standard in this state with the media. Because of the size of schools, fanbases, and the rivalry the media can afford to slam Marquette but UW fan backlash likely would have killed a similar story about UW before it even made a dent in the public's conscience (i.e. Montee Ball, Booker Stanley, Associate AD scandal, Diamond Taylor, etc.).

TheSultan
10-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Had the same thing happened at UW, I'm confident in saying that no citations would have been issued and it certainly wouldn't have been brought to light immediately before the team's departure for a huge set of games, if ever. The way Walker covered the "story" and ardently defended his work displayed the double standard in this state with the media. Because of the size of schools, fanbases, and the rivalry the media can afford to slam Marquette but UW fan backlash likely would have killed a similar story about UW before it even made a dent in the public's conscience (i.e. Montee Ball, Booker Stanley, Associate AD scandal, Diamond Taylor, etc.).

These are pretty poor examples because they were all thoroughly covered. I am sure there are others that haven't been.

AbovetheRim
10-27-2014, 12:29 PM
These are pretty poor examples because they were all thoroughly covered. I am sure there are others that haven't been.

They all disappeared quickly and Associate AD aside, I don't recall any of the others leading the nightly news.

TheSultan
10-27-2014, 12:40 PM
They all disappeared quickly and Associate AD aside, I don't recall any of the others leading the nightly news.

The Stanley stuff was all over the place. As was the Montee Ball stuff, but I can't recall if any of the blame for that fell on him. Both were certainly more highly covered than the Marquette underage drinking issue.

MUMac
10-27-2014, 12:44 PM
The Stanley stuff was all over the place. As was the Montee Ball stuff, but I can't recall if any of the blame for that fell on him. Both were certainly more highly covered than the Marquette underage drinking issue.

Use Gullickson as an example. Heck, use the kid from Mukwanago who was sentenced for rape during his Official Visit. You could include what all happened with Koenig's visit. There are likely others, but I get the point the poster was making. I doubt it would have been handled the same if UW student athletes received a citation.

TheSultan
10-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Use Gullickson as an example. Heck, use the kid from Mukwanago who was sentenced for rape during his Official Visit. You could include what all happened with Koenig's visit. There are likely others, but I get the point the poster was making. I doubt it would have been handled the same if UW student athletes received a citation.

Right. Those are much better examples. That is all I am saying.

GOMU1104
10-27-2014, 02:16 PM
So someone at the JS decided that two days before a Sweet 16 game was a good time to search the MU roster for muni citations? Gotta love that hometown paper.

There are people at newspapers that, their only/main job, is to search court records for famous people in their market.

Marquette
10-27-2014, 06:38 PM
What about the Koenig stuff? Ended up in the hospital with his stomach pumped because he was so wasted. Did he get in trouble? Did the players that were hosting him get in trouble? He was underage.

What about the basketball team with the mopeds? Half the team was ticketed for running stop signs because they were all racing each other. Several guys, not just one or two. Sure, doesn't seem terrible, but racing mopeds through busy streets is a lot more dangerous than being in a bar under age.

ziggysfryboy
10-29-2014, 07:42 PM
What about the Koenig stuff? Ended up in the hospital with his stomach pumped because he was so wasted. Did he get in trouble? Did the players that were hosting him get in trouble? He was underage.

Acorn and the oak, aina?