PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Vander and Jamil...?

Nukem2
10-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Both were cut earlier this month. Any news on where they might be headed? Really don't think the D-League provides real opportunity or $$$ for either.

Markedman
10-24-2014, 10:47 AM
I think Jamil is going to be with the Phoenix Suns D-league affiliate….not sure about Vander

Westcoastwarrior
10-27-2014, 05:04 PM
I think Jamil is going to be with the Phoenix Suns D-league affiliate….not sure about Vander

Not related to the two mentioned above...but I did see Trent Lockett and Darius Johnson-Odom decided not to play the D-league this year and chose contracts overseas.

Trent is playing in Germany and Darius is playing in Italy.

Phantom Warrior
10-27-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm beginning to think that all MU basketball players should have to take four years of a language, whether Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, whatever, so that when those who don't end up in the NBA play overseas, they can choose a team in a country where they are fluent or close to fluent.

JohnnyRev
10-27-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't know how serious you are, Phantom, but we're rethinking the Core curriculum at MU and this actually makes sense to me. Not sure how enthusiastic our players might be for it.

Phantom Warrior
10-27-2014, 09:16 PM
I was/am very serious.

It has to be hard not knowing the language. A kid knows French, he has a few options in Europe. He knows Spanish, he has options in Europe and South America. He knows German, he has quite a few options in Europe.

ValiantSailor
10-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Has the foreign language requirement been dropped? I had to take two years way back when. Then again, knowledge of English is becoming more rare. Perhaps skills in that language could be emphasized....

VS

MUFLA
10-28-2014, 12:04 AM
I don't know how serious you are, Phantom, but we're rethinking the Core curriculum at MU and this actually makes sense to me. Not sure how enthusiastic our players might be for it.

Interested to learn what becomes of this. I always thought the core curriculum was something that made MU special...I know it has its detractors.

PS -- good advice by Phantom

GOMU1104
10-28-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm beginning to think that all MU basketball players should have to take four years of a language, whether Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, whatever, so that when those who don't end up in the NBA play overseas, they can choose a team in a country where they are fluent or close to fluent.

You could say that about every college basketball player. MU isn't the only school that sends players overseas.

MUfan12
10-28-2014, 09:09 AM
I always thought the core curriculum was something that made MU special...I know it has its detractors.

Not to take the thread too far off topic, but I agree. I hope that any changes will be more refining it than overhauling it. I am far better for having to take those core classes outside of my comfort area.

Phantom Warrior
10-28-2014, 09:23 AM
GOMU1104,

I agree. I think it would be a prudent course of action.

JohnnyRev,

I think it could be a fairly easy sell if someone like Travis, who played for a number of years in Italy, talks to them about how much it would have helped him had he taken four years of Italian. Plus, other former MU players who are playing or have played overseas can reinforce the message when they return to campus.

I lived overseas for nearly a year, and even though many people spoke English, I was frequently in situations in which I had great difficulty communicating. It was extremely frustrating.

On top of that, it would likely make the players' basketball situation easier as they would be better able to communicate with native born players and coaches.

To me, it might even be an added selling point in recruiting, even for those planning to play in the NBA, as many NBA players finish their careers overseas. More importantly, most guys know the NBA is not in their future, and they will likely end up overseas. This requirement would facilitate their professional growth.

GOMU1104
10-28-2014, 09:27 AM
What if you take 4 years of Italian and end up playing in Japan?

Phantom Warrior
10-28-2014, 09:46 AM
If you take four years of Italian, you go out of your way to play in Italy or in the Italian parts of Switzerland.

I would think being fluent in Italian would also make a player more attractive to an Italian team than an equivalent level player who does not know the language.