PDA

View Full Version : Potrykus defends Bo

Gato78
04-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Potrykus has an article that is really an opinion piece in today's JS. He defends Bo in an unapologetic fashion, in essence blaming Uthoff for failing to have the stones to meet with Bo and having a friend deliver his appeal papers. He writes it will not hurt Bo's recruiting and says Bronosn Koenig is OK with it and is recruiting for Bo. Potrykus leaves me no doubt whatsoever that he cannot be trusted to deliver even handed journalism. I assume he is smarter than that and figured he needed to stay on Bo's good side to keep getting information and be part of the club. However, this has to be exhibit A supporting the proposition that the JS really likes the WIsconsin program. (Compare and contrast withthe recent MU underage articles for fairness comparisons.) I can understand Potrykus' motivation but where is his editor to tell him that perhaps he needs to report the issues rather than cheerlead?

Nukem2
04-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Potrykus is obviously part of that good-old-boys club in Madison. He walks the line.

MUMac
04-21-2012, 11:15 AM
potrykus defends bo, the sun rises today. All the same. He had no credibility to me. Look at his comments on the badger boards to see how unprofessional he is.

mufansince72
04-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Potrykus has and always will be a hack!

IWB
04-21-2012, 06:37 PM
I don't understand what is wrong with someone else delivering Uthoff's papers. Its not like they were handed directly to Bo, they were given to a secretary who put them in Justin Doherty's mailbox. Why is that a problem?

Personally, I can understand Uthoff not wanting to go in. I played football in college and decided to hang it up my into the season my junior year. I went and talked to my position coach (which is similar to what Uthoff apparently did). We then talked to the head coach and I walked out the door and never went back. I didn't even go in to clear out my locker(lost a ton of stuff). I slept at a friend's house for days as all of my roommates in my house were on the team. Hell, I didn't even go back on to campus for a week, and people are ripping this kid for having someone else deliver an envelope? Speaking from experience, situations like this very very hard on a kid, and to rip him for having someone else drop off an envelope is absurd.

MUMac
04-21-2012, 07:42 PM
I agree, the chastising Uthoff for the delivery smacks of spin to avoid the real problem - UW screwed up. The guy wasn't in and never went through his mail. It was delivered to the right spot, that is not in question. Had Uthoff delivered it, it would have been the same result. Doherty would not have magically appeared. The secretary would have taken it, put it in Doherty's mail and Doherty still would not have gone through the mail.

I suspect mail that is delivered via the post office is handled the same way. Maybe Doherty needs to go through his mail more timely.

MUMac
04-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I can't wait for potrykus's next gem to counter the article from Fox Sports. http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/04/21/12/Uthoff-I-wanted-to-do-this-in-person/landing_badgers.html?blockID=714002&feedID=5065 Sure paints a different picture. I am sure that potrykus thoroughly investigated before he wrote is puff piece.

ziggysfryboy
04-22-2012, 05:54 AM
Probably from the taco bell on university ave.

Halo
04-22-2012, 06:16 AM
He's just a fan of the program who gets to write about the team.

mufansince72
04-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Potrykus has more posts on Badger Nation than only a handful of die hard fans. How can we as sports fans take anything he writes about objectively? He is just another biased message board poster in my view. The Journal Sentinel should be ashamed.

I know this is another issue. It strikes me as very unusual that the beat writer for a team (Jeff Potrykus) would post over 3,000 times on a fan message board. Does the Journal Sentinel not have a problem with this?

In the case of Uthoff (or any issue concerning Wisconsin Football or Basketball), does this not cloud his objectivity of the situation?

A bunch of Journal Sentinel employees were recently chastised for signing the Walker recall petition on the grounds that putting a position out there gives the appearance of bias.

How is this situation any different?

mufansince72
04-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Of course, I asked the above questions on the Badger board, had a good dialogue going, and all the comments were deleted. Now they have to protect Potrykus because they don't want anyone calling him out for the conflict of interest that being a diehard supporter on the message boards while also being the beat writer creates.

Halo
04-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Has anyone asked fanboy Potrykus if he tried to actually interview Uthoff?

Nukem2
04-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Potrykus has more posts on Badger Nation than only a handful of die hard fans. How can we as sports fans take anything he writes about objectively? He is just another biased message board poster in my view. The Journal Sentinel should be ashamed.

I know this is another issue. It strikes me as very unusual that the beat writer for a team (Jeff Potrykus) would post over 3,000 times on a fan message board. Does the Journal Sentinel not have a problem with this?

In the case of Uthoff (or any issue concerning Wisconsin Football or Basketball), does this not cloud his objectivity of the situation?

A bunch of Journal Sentinel employees were recently chastised for signing the Walker recall petition on the grounds that putting a position out there gives the appearance of bias.

How is this situation any different?Agree. I've posted about this anomaly several times over at JD's site. As a sports "journalist", I would say if you can't blog it or print it, you shoulkd not be posting it....:confused:

MUMac
04-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Has anyone asked fanboy Potrykus if he tried to actually interview Uthoff?

bo told him he wouldn't speak with anyone.

2012Warrior
04-22-2012, 03:27 PM
I think of a Bo interview in his office with the MAdison media around him and saying, "These aren't the droids you are looking for."

pbiflyer
04-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Of course, I asked the above questions on the Badger board, had a good dialogue going, and all the comments were deleted. Now they have to protect Potrykus because they don't want anyone calling him out for the conflict of interest that being a diehard supporter on the message boards while also being the beat writer creates.

Yeah, funny, I asked a poster a question. It got deleted. Jeez, what a thin skinned bunch. I used to like Wisconsin, until the Badger board showed up.

Gato78
04-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I liked Madison a lot more when Dick Bennett was there. He seemed like a good and genuine human being--coaching for the right reasons etc. I could dislike Bucky when we played them but not so bad the rest of the year. With Bo and his Badgermaniac minions, it has grown to a pretty healthy year round dislike.