PDA

View Full Version : No Walk Ons...?

Nukem2
10-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Surprising to see no walk-on(s) particularly with the short roster. Guess the assistants will see some floor time

MUMac
10-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Surprising to see no walk-on(s) particularly with the short roster. Guess the assistants will see some floor time

The roster has 12. Yes, the coaches can supplement in practice, but 12 is not a short roster. Not big, but not short either.

MU/Panther
10-15-2014, 03:42 PM
There is 11 on the roster. It is surprising that there hasn't been any walk-on added. Or that nobody asked in media day about his views on walk-on's with a small roster.

MUMac
10-15-2014, 03:52 PM
There is 11 on the roster. It is surprising that there hasn't been any walk-on added. Or that nobody asked in media day about his views on walk-on's with a small roster.

Yep, my bad. I am guessing that with the coaches ability to fill in, Wojo may want to keep the roster trimmed initially to build comraderie and unity more among the team.

ChitownAl
10-15-2014, 08:12 PM
My analysis of "why no walk-ons" is that it is extremely hard at this point in the season to replace someone of Gabe Levin's size (6.6+) and who can compete with teammates, at least defensively. Guessing that the male population of our U lacks someone of that criteria. We've got a lot of guards already on the team - no need to add another one just because it is nice and feels good to have a walk-on on team. Coaching staff has plenty to do already than hold tryouts.

I am not sure why the fascination with walk-ons, although our last 2-3 have been quality individual (who also help bring the teams avg GPA up).

Nukem2
10-15-2014, 08:21 PM
My analysis of "why no walk-ons" is that it is extremely hard at this point in the season to replace someone of Gabe Levin's size (6.6+) and who can compete with teammates, at least defensively. Guessing that the male population of our U lacks someone of that criteria. We've got a lot of guards already on the team - no need to add another one just because it is nice and feels good to have a walk-on on team. Coaching staff has plenty to do already than hold tryouts.

I am not sure why the fascination with walk-ons, although our last 2-3 have been quality individual (who also help bring the teams avg GPA up).No fascination. We've just have had. 1 or 2 for a long time. Just a change.

ChitownAl
10-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Nuke: "fascination" is maybe the wrong word. Interest?

I've always respected Walk-ons for the amount of effort and time that they put in for very little playing time. On the other hand, they get the travel and some of the perks of being on the team. And it is also a nice resume point, IMHO.

What I always struggled with, was the pressure fans put on them by cheering for the Coach to put them in, and the "shoot- shoot" yells when they got in. If not "fascination" by fans, I don't know what to call it. I always felt sorry for those walk-on players to be put in that somewhat embarassing position while they are trying to carry themselves as credible ball players with their teammates and fans. I'm sure the Coaches did not appreciate it either.

Nukem2
10-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Nuke: "fascination" is maybe the wrong word. Interest?

I've always respected Walk-ons for the amount of effort and time that they put in for very little playing time. On the other hand, they get the travel and some of the perks of being on the team. And it is also a nice resume point, IMHO.

What I always struggled with, was the pressure fans put on them by cheering for the Coach to put them in, and the "shoot- shoot" yells when they got in. If not "fascination" by fans, I don't know what to call it. I always felt sorry for those walk-on players to be put in that somewhat embarassing position while they are trying to carry themselves as credible ball players with their teammates and fans. I'm sure the Coaches did not appreciate it either.Really don't care if there are walk-ons or not. I was just noting that there appear to be none this year. Not sure that fans are fascinated by walk-ons. More of a ritual by fans during garbage time at home games. Embarrassing? Not so sure about that.

MUMac
10-16-2014, 04:51 PM
I wonder if the NCAA rule change regarding meals impacted the walkon decision?