PDA

View Full Version : New Unis

Jimmy Lemke
10-11-2014, 02:09 PM
New uniforms

MU/Panther
10-11-2014, 04:49 PM
I saw them on the video shoot in the Roar Report. Not sure if I like them.

Jimmy Lemke
10-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Yeah, the side piping is going to take some getting used to. I will say this: I don't want to be one of those programs that changes every year just because. I'd like to find something beautiful and stick with it. I thought last year was it.

illwauk
10-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Count me as another who was hoping the look from last year would stick around for awhile. These aren't terrible, but they're certainly not great. I think they'd actually look better without the outlines on the wordmark and numbers... I have a feeling the black unis are gonna look like a jumbled mess.

I also really hate the logo on the back. It might look decent if we actually had an athletic monogram, but that would assume our athletic department actually gave a sh!t about branding.

Tyrunner0097
10-15-2014, 03:42 PM
I'd like to find something beautiful and stick with it. I thought last year was it.

+1

Those unis ruled and after the run we had, I thought it was the one that was here to stay.

Jimmy Lemke
10-15-2014, 08:07 PM
These are, btw, the same unis that the Brooklyn Nets have.

lutzow10
10-16-2014, 01:26 AM
I actually kind of like these. I rrally liked last years tho, but I for one, find the piping on the side to look good. That being said, i haven't seen the other colors and adidas is not one to be above ******* up jersey design majorly. Counting down the days until the contract is up and we switch to NIKE.

Jimmy Lemke
10-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Also for a switch to Nike. Let's get an online petition going to switch when it comes up...show the university the fans want something better.

MayorCK
10-20-2014, 12:15 PM
I also agree we should have stuck with last year's style, but these look good. Way better than the awful unis from 2 years ago!

Mike-waukee
10-20-2014, 12:23 PM
I really like last years unis but!! Milwaukee isn't a 'classic' basketball program. I think programs like Indiana, Michigan, Duke, Syracuse, Marquette, Kansas are programs that should have the classic look. Milwaukee's classic look was super cool looking, but we should find unis that are very unique 1st and formost. If they look great, then keep em! Marquette's unis are classic because they looked similar in the 70s, but they also are unique and there own. I don't think Milwaukee's unis last year were really unique in any way. Lots of teams could have those unis.

Jimmy Lemke
10-20-2014, 05:07 PM
I didn't think about it that way. Not a terrible idea, all things considered.

lutzow10
10-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Yeah. Very good point. If you look at some of the non-classic looking styles out there you get very specific looks. Marquette is a good example, they use a modern throwback crossover that is uniquely theirs. Tennesse has the checker patter that is uniquely theirs. Maryland in recent years has started to use stylingd from the state flag and it is uniquely theirs. We don't all have to be oregon trying to reinvent the wheel year after year. We should find something unique make it ours and then just come up with vatiations of that unique style when we do decide to change it up.

Jimmy Lemke
10-24-2014, 05:38 PM
I'd love to claim the Bavarian's "Lozengy" pattern as our own.

Mike-waukee
10-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Had to google "lozengy" and I say HELL YES. That whole brand identity kick that you are always on? This would help big time there!!

illwauk
11-03-2014, 12:42 PM
The problem with the lozengy is that while we were changing athletic directors more than most Cudahy residents take showers and not giving a crap about branding, THIS happened:

http://thenews.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Screen-shot-2014-08-21-at-9.49.40-PM.png

Jimmy Lemke
11-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Lozengy is a pattern used in horse racing.

illwauk
11-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Right, and I get that's why Murray State is using it. The problem is that we can no longer "own" the pattern in the college sports world.

It's similar to how Kentucky started using a checkerboard because Secretariat won the Kentucky Derby wearing a blue and white checkerboard... all very valid, very locally relevant reasons for them to use it. But it still hasn't stopped them from being accused of ripping off the hated Vols, who've had checkerboards in their end zones and baselines for years.

lutzow10
11-04-2014, 06:11 AM
if we decided to do it i think we would have no problem making it ours before the country realizes Murray State is already doing it. And its not like they are doing it for everything. Plus black and gold standa out more, and it radiates a different energy and feel than theirs ao it might not even be thought of as a rip off. Ours would feel bavarian and give a soccer/european vibe while theirs gives a horse racing, upper echelon, sunday brunch with the family at the country club feel. Lol.

illwauk
11-04-2014, 04:14 PM
That's the other thing about using a lozengy... it really only works for soccer, where Milwaukee has a long-standing German soccer link (Bavarians, which has sent many players to UWM). Perhaps if soccer became THAT popular on campus, to where the lozengy could transcend the rest of our sports (similar to how Tennessee's checkerboard was originally just a football thing) but I think it has its limitations as far as something that would work for basketball or baseball.

I could be wrong though, and I'm all for the soccer teams rockin' a black and gold lozengy!

lutzow10
11-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Not sure what it is worth but i emailed Leah jokingly that she should pass the idea on to adidas and she said she might just do that, so there is that. Lol. gave you credit too nic so if they ise it you are welcome :)

Mike-waukee
11-05-2014, 10:06 AM
I love seeing all the stuff that Nick puts on here!

Tim Ross
11-06-2014, 10:10 AM
I agree with most of the other posts. Something just seems wrong about changing uniforms off an NCAA tournament run last season.

illwauk
11-06-2014, 06:32 PM
I love seeing all the stuff that Nick puts on here!

Hey, thanks!

I've actually been working on some new stuff this week.