PDA

View Full Version : Article on Official Visits

Phantom Warrior
09-25-2014, 06:41 AM
ESPN Insider has two articles on hosting official visits.

Not much that's new or surprising, but two tidbits did surprise me. One is that it is quite common, even routine, for coaches to host visiting recruit and family at his home and fairly standard for entire rest of the team to be there. I knew it happened (Pearl's infamous barbeque, for example) but not that it was almost an automatic part of the visit. The other is that the coaches can not be present at pick-up games recruits have with other players. Not sure why, but I thought that prohibition had been changed.

One of the article did talk about the impact of Kansas' and Kentucky's madness events. Kind of sent a twinge of anxiety through me regarding HE's scheduled visit to Lexington.

TedBaxter
09-25-2014, 06:50 AM
I have no worries about Kentucky or any other school. If Henry, or any other recruit, wants to come to Marquette, they'll end up at MU. If they are looking for something else, they will go somewhere else. It's that simple.

DCwarrior
09-25-2014, 07:31 AM
I found it funny that Seth Greenberg stated that he never had a recruit change his mind on or leave a school because of academics. Long Beach State, South Florida and Va Tech...if a recruit is considering one of those schools, there's a good chance academics will never be the top priority for the kid to begin with.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
09-25-2014, 07:53 AM
I found it funny that Seth Greenberg stated that he never had a recruit change his mind on or leave a school because of academics. Long Beach State, South Florida and Va Tech...if a recruit is considering one of those schools, there's a good chance academics will never be the top priority for the kid to begin with.

Lets be completely honest, academics really only come into play for a very small minority of recruits, many pay lip service to it, but a lot of these kids wouldn't be going to these schools if the basketball or football teams didn't exist.

IWB
09-25-2014, 08:02 AM
The other is that the coaches can not be present at pick-up games recruits have with other players. Not sure why, but I thought that prohibition had been changed.

Always been the rule with no exception.