PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons and the BIG EAST

Gato78
09-24-2014, 09:51 PM
ESPN suspends Bill Simmons for three weeks for calling Roger Goodel a liar on his podcast. Of course, ESPN televises the NFL and covers everything NFL related. So is there now any doubt that ESPN has editorial control about what is said and reported about BIG EAST basketball? ESPN has just silenced a commentator for, essentially, not towing the party line. So does ESPN have any journalistic integrity and will we be a "target" or at least neglected by The Worldwide Leader for business reasons?

Markedman
09-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Others at ESPN have been critical of the NFL and not gotten suspended.

He got suspended for acting like an idiot in a profanity laced tirade and then daring his employer to do something about it.

That kind of unprofessionalism doesn't play well in any business that I know of......

Mark Miller
09-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Not a fan of Simmons. At all.

Gato78
09-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Simmons is paid for his opinions. He expressed it. Whether or not you like him, the chilling effect of his punishment is a loud warning to employee-commentators to coddle ESPN properties. The converse is to criticize or neglect thost that are not ESPN properties.

warriorfan4life
09-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Not a fan of Simmons. At all.

I really like him personally, as he seems to be one of the few sports people that is open to new thoughts and ideas. Also, Simmons has done a lot over the years to help promote the advanced statistical cause (particularly football with Aaron Schatz and Bill Barnwell). Not for everybody, but personally a big fan that hopes this is the cause for him to jump to FS1. After Regis and Francesca, it would be nice to not have an octogenarian sports personality as one of the key FS1 personalities.

CaribouJim
09-25-2014, 06:20 AM
I really like him personally, as he seems to be one of the few sports people that is open to new thoughts and ideas. Also, Simmons has done a lot over the years to help promote the advanced statistical cause (particularly football with Aaron Schatz and Bill Barnwell). Not for everybody, but personally a big fan that hopes this is the cause for him to jump to FS1. After Regis and Francesca, it would be nice to not have an octogenarian sports personality as one of the key FS1 personalities.

I too think he is very talented and I agree that t the he is an idea maker - Grantland is a great site for example - great blend of sports and pop culture. However, as my mother used to say about guys of his ilk, "that fellow is not lacking in self-confidence" so I can definitely see how he rubs people the wrong way. However, if the opportunity came up for Fox to aquire him I'd be all for that.

I so totatally agree on the Regis and Francesca hires, not so much for their age, but just not good fits - especially Francesca.

What is the scoop on Rece Davis - has he re-upped with ESPN? He would be my target #1 and Bob Ley would be another.

TheSultan
09-25-2014, 07:56 AM
And Simmons NBA writing is really very good. He does know his stuff over there.

To be honest, he probably should have been suspended because he called Goodell a liar (he didn't say it was his opinion) and did kind of call out his bosses. That being said, three weeks is excessive. Ironically longer than the initial Ray Rice suspension.

MU/Panther
09-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Not a fan of Simmons. At all.but is he correct on this issue?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
09-25-2014, 08:52 AM
but is he correct on this issue?

Simmons making it a profanity-laced tirade was excessive, but I'll definitely say this. Roger Goodell is a liar or a hypocrite. I fully believe he is lying about what he knew and what he saw. We know top NFL executives had the tape. What are the odds it got to high-level execs (reportedly Goodell's second-in-command) and didn't get to him? And if he didn't know, well, isn't he still culpable? Sean Payton was punished for what he supposedly did not know because Goodell said that as the head coach, he was responsible to be aware of what was happening on his team. Wouldn't Goodell be similarly responsible as commissioner to know what was happening in his league?

I can see how Simmons will rub some people the wrong way, but he'd be a massive coup for FS1.