PDA

View Full Version : Stay classy, Syracuse!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
09-23-2014, 10:23 AM
While Twitter users violate recruiting rules every day, how often do you see the official account of a basketball program encouraging their fans to break NCAA rules to land a kid?

@syracusebball: Everybody wish 2016 5-star #Syracuse target Tyus Battle (@kidmamba23) happy birthday! #OrangeNation #OrangeRecruiting

I retweeted this at the NCAA...wonder if they'll respond.

EDIT: NOT their official account. Even still, is Marquette the only school that tries to crack down on their boosters regarding this stuff?

MUfan12
09-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Still pretty brazen, but that's not the official account. It's in the bio- "Provide information and opinions on everything Syracuse Basketball. Not affiliated with Syracuse University."

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
09-23-2014, 10:33 AM
It's done because recruits love it and it's impossible to crack down on...hard to single out Cuse fans here, kids love Twitter and love attention.

GOMU1104
09-23-2014, 11:49 AM
I wish our fans did this more...so long as it is in a positive manner.

TheSultan
09-23-2014, 11:56 AM
It's done because recruits love it and it's impossible to crack down on...hard to single out Cuse fans here, kids love Twitter and love attention.

It's one of those NCAA rules that is basically unenforceable and therefore needs to go away.

IWB
09-23-2014, 12:19 PM
While I agree that these thing are generally unenforceable, this one would be pretty easy. This is not 1,000 different people sending random messages to a kid, this is one specific account that is organizing a group effort to perform a large number of minor violations. The NCAA and Syracuse should be coming down on this guy.

Now if MU fans randomly tweet to a recruit wishing him a happy birthday - not that big of a deal. But, if a twitter account that appears to be an official school account is encouraging a large scale of followers to do it? The NCAA should step in, as should MU.