PDA

View Full Version : Uthoff - restrictions lifted

IWB
04-19-2012, 02:18 PM
According to Patrick Herb's twitter account, Bo Ryan has lifted all restrictions on schools for Jarrod Uthoff except for the Big 10.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Just for fun Buzz should put a call in :)

CaribouJim
04-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Wow - no restrictions on MU either. Prediction - Bo will be on Mike & Mike within a week and it will be a vomit inducing lovefest.

MUMac
04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Caribou, I think it will be a little longer before the obstenant, hot headed, little pr!ck goes back on Mike & Mike. I don't think UW had any choice but to do this with the firestorm they endured. They cut their losses, but I am not so sure that bo agreed to it. He probably went down kicking and screaming like the immature jerk he is.

TulsaWarrior
04-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Restrictions lift -- damage already done. Perhap Uthoff can get a hardship waiver to play immediately because of the need to leave an abusive situation. No seriously, this was plan and simple a PR snafu from the get go. Marquette has had it's share but none that would hurt recruiting like this one. The Mike and Mike radio time was lethal for Bo. My PR advise to Mr. Ryan you should have said this to M and M -- "Gentleman I made a mistake that was not fair to this young man. In this situation when this fine young man wanted to transfer I should have said thank you for the chance to coach you and good luck." End of controversy.

IWB
04-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Here is UW's release on the appeal process.... (http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041912aab.html)

Here is a brief synopsis of the transfer and appeal process as it pertains to Jarrod Uthoff.

It is incorrect that Uthoff requested “permission to contact” 25 schools. He has requested “permission to contact” 16 schools, 4 of which were denied.

Uthoff appealed 3 of the 4 schools that were denied.

Uthoff visited with both Associate Athletic Director Justin Doherty and Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez Thursday morning as part of the appeal process.

Doherty, Alvarez and head coach Bo Ryan then met and collectively came to a decision that the University of Wisconsin Athletic Department has lifted “permission to contact” restrictions on ANY school outside of the Big Ten Conference.

Ryan is supportive of denials of Big Ten institutions only and has wanted the appeals process to serve as a means for dialogue to occur between Uthoff and UW Athletics administration.

Uthoff has been notified of these decisions.

If Uthoff wishes to further appeal the “permission to contact” denial to any Big Ten university, he may request a hearing to the Chair of the Athletic Board within 8 business days.

I don't know why they feel the appeal was for 25 schools, it was 25 schools that were listed. If he appealed the decision of 4, and the appeal was granted on 3 of the 4, my guess is that the four he requested were Iowa, Iowa State, Virginia and Florida. But that is just a guess.

TulsaWarrior
04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
There are facts and there is perception. UW and Bo have already lost the perception battle. That's the nature of news cycles. You can't wait to clear the air.

IWB
04-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Well, yes, but those are the facts as UW presents them.....

UW: It is incorrect that Uthoff requested “permission to contact” 25 schools.
Well.... Nobody said he requested to speak with 25 schools, UW had already banned 25 schools.

UW: He has requested “permission to contact” 16 schools, 4 of which were denied.
Well.... He requested to contact various schools, and various schools contacted UW requesting to talk with him. Of the 16 schools, 4 were on the 'banned' list.

UW: Uthoff appealed 3 of the 4 schools that were denied.
Well.... Uthoff knew he couldn't go to a Big 10 school, but was interested in 3 of the 25 schools that were banned.

Nukem2
04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
IWB, ya think UW would really spin the truth...:cool:

MUfan12
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Would Buzz have any interest? If he can shoot, he's worth a look.

2012Warrior
04-19-2012, 09:50 PM
I was looking to see what the local media's take on this was and stumbled on this gem from Bill Michaels. Shame on Uthoff I guess :rolleyes:

http://www.billmichaelssports.com/uthoffs-ban-lifted-but-look-at-his-character/

IWB
04-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Here is one major flaw in The Unit's logic - it appears The Unit believes that the infamous letter was a letter informing Bo of his intention to transfer - obviously that is wrong, he had already informed the coaching staff of his decision, the letter is just to appeal the banned schools that he wanted to consider. After listening to Homer and "thunder", The Big Unit, the sports cast on "The Hog" and many others, it absolutely amazes me how much the local media focuses on pro sports and has no clue of the inner workings of college sports, the NCAA, recruiting, Jucos, prep schools and everything else that goes into college basketball

TulsaWarrior
04-20-2012, 05:11 AM
The truth is many fans are better informed than some of those who are paid to sit in front of a camera or mic and talk. How many of us have watched a Marquette game and been amazed by an announcer who hasn't done his homework?

wiscwarrior
04-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Maybe it's me, but I'm amazed that 540 doesn't do a better job of covering MU. Especially as regards getting accurate info out on issues facing the program. After all, they are our flagship station, right? I think Homer, in an attempt to be as fair and balanced as possible, goes out of his way to be neutral in issues regarding MU. Thunder, don't get me started.

I don't listen that often, but I don't hear a lot of talk about MU when I do... We need a counter to 1250 which has developed into a mouth piece for UW sports and spews venom regarding MU. Can't we even rely on our "flagship" to help - a little.

CaribouJim
04-20-2012, 09:17 AM
I loved the last line:

"Uthoff just got his first life lesson away from home, when you sign your name to something and don’t honor it, life can suck…..get used to it!" Unless it is a coach that signs his/her name to it - doesn't mean squat.

MUMac
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
I loved the last line:

"Uthoff just got his first life lesson away from home, when you sign your name to something and don’t honor it, life can suck…..get used to it!" Unless it is a coach that signs his/her name to it - doesn't mean squat.

What didn't Uthoff honor? The NLI commits for the first year. The Scholarship is annually renewable. He fulfilled his commitment - likely better than bill michaels had after his departure from TMJ. michaels certainly blurred the lines quite a bit. A lecture from this pompous jacka$$? Really?

Gato78
04-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Calling a 19 year old kid "cowardly and childlike"? Michaels is as clueless as Bo.