PDA

View Full Version : Bob Bach to retire

MU/Panther
09-10-2014, 12:51 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/tvradio/bob-bach-one-of-the-last-big-voices-in-milwaukee-radio-is-retiring-b99346439z1-274535751.html

Former voice of Marquette Basketball

Mark Miller
09-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Enjoyed his calls of Marquette games.

And he's a Francis Jordan graduate. Never knew that.

MulliganMusings
09-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Bob did the play-by-play back in my day (79-83) and he was outstanding. Never understood why MU changed but I'm sure there's a story.

TedBaxter
09-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Where was Francis Jordan High School located?

Nukem2
09-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Where was Francis Jordan High School located?
68th & Burleigh. It was housed in barracks which were originally home for the junior high of Mother of Good Counsel Parish. Jordan was closed in the late 60s due to finances. Jordan played its games at Divine Savior HS, a girls HS ( both schools were run by the Salvatorians ). I saw Jim Chones play there against Jordan.

I went to MGC and went to junior high in those barracks, which were rather dilapidated.

Phantom Warrior
09-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Actually, the building was used again in 1970-71 and 71-72. It, along with the 68th Street Elementary School right behind it, became the first "model school" in MPS. At the time it was known as Peckham Annex/68th Street Open Education School. It housed only seventh graders that lived in the Peckham Junior High district. Eventually, it was renamed Jackie Robinson Middle School near the end of 1972.

I know this because I taught in the building those two years and was one of a handful of teachers at Peckham who helped create the open ed school. I was in my mid-20s, and I still had hope for urban education.

For the record, the Francis Jordan building was a dump. It's hard to imagine that it was actually a high school at one time. I think they tore it down a few years later, but I'm not sure.

TheSultan
09-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Out of curiosity, where was Notre Dame high school in Milwaukee?

Phantom Warrior
09-10-2014, 11:21 PM
If memory serves, it was on the South side, somewhere in the vicinity of 5th Street or 6th Street in the Lincoln Avenue or Beecher Street area.

russguss
09-11-2014, 11:11 AM
On S 5th Str... Just North of Mitchell... Next to St Stanislaus Church...now a Grade school... It was Woodland school for a time..

TheSultan
09-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Thank you both. For some reason I thought it was on the near west side off Hawley Road. Maybe I was mixing up Stanislaus and Sebastian.

russguss
09-11-2014, 11:25 AM
St Seb's is on Hawley/ N 54th st...

Mark Miller
09-11-2014, 12:10 PM
The old Notre Dame High School is now part of the huge St. Anthony's school system on the southside. It is indeed located next to St. Stan's Church.

Notre Dame played its home basketball games at the old Don Bosco gym a few miles away as the gym inside Notre Dame was too small.

Not sure where Notre Dame played when Don Kojis went there, I'm guessing in their tiny gym as Don Bosco was still open at that time and would have needed its gym for its own teams.

russguss
09-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Actually Don Bosco was at Windlake and Becher (12th and Becher st) about 1 mi...great place for HS BB .. back in the day.. ;-)

Phantom Warrior
09-11-2014, 11:24 PM
One more from the past. I think it was St. Benedict's if memory serves. Had one of the best high school players in the Milwaukee area...ever. I think he may have even played some college hoops, maybe at Bradley, I'm not sure. Anyone remember Tom Campbell? (Pretty sure that was his name.) Where was St. Benedict? Was it somewhere around 12th and Vliet?

A little help from some of the other 60-somethings on the board.

Mark Miller
09-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Not in the 60-something crowd, but I did find some info on Tom Campbell.

Played 3 years of varsity basketball at St. Benedict.

Averaged a robust 25.2 ppg as a senior in 1962-63 to win the Catholic Conference scoring title. Had 39 in a game against St. John's Cathedral.

First-team all-league in 1962-63 while leading St. Benedict to an 11-5 league mark (Pius XI won the league at 14-2, followed by Marquette and St. Cat's at 13-3 and then St. Benedict. Of course, my high school -- Appleton Xavier -- won the WISAA title that year, beating Murf's MUHS team in the title game behind a guy named Rocky Bleier and a coach named Torchy Clark).

Campbell was a 6-foot-2 guard who did play college basketball at Bradley.

I believe St. Benedict High School was located next to St. Benedict Church, which is a few blocks west of the Bradley Center and still very much in operation.

John Johnson attended St. Benedict as a freshman and sophomore and then transferred to Messmer when St. Benedict closed in the spring of 1964.

MUfan12
09-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Where was St. Benedict? Was it somewhere around 12th and Vliet?

St. Ben's on 10th and State? I believe that was the original location of MUHS, and the Franciscans bought it when MUHS moved to Wisconsin Ave. The high school was torn down when they built up I-43.

TheSultan
09-12-2014, 09:46 AM
First-team all-league in 1962-63 while leading St. Benedict to an 11-5 league mark (Pius XI won the league at 14-2, followed by Marquette and St. Cat's at 13-3 and then St. Benedict. Of course, my high school -- Appleton Xavier -- won the WISAA title that year, beating Murf's MUHS team in the title game behind a guy named Rocky Bleier and a coach named Torchy Clark).

Whoa whoa whoa...

Are you telling me that the self-proclaimed John Wooden of Wisconsin high school basketball *lost* a game???

Nukem2
09-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Saw that game at the Arena in what was my junior year @ MUHS. That was quite a game, but Xavier just had superior talent.

wiscwarrior
09-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Saw that game at the Arena in what was my junior year @ MUHS. That was quite a game, but Xavier just had superior talent.

I was a senior at Madison Edgewood. We were also in the tournament as defending champions. Beat Pius with Mike Juerewicz (spelling?) and Bob Steber who I believe were regular season Milwaukee Catholic League champions. We played MUHS in the semis and sophomore Chuck Nagle bombed us into submission. That year Edgewood's star was Denny Sweeney who went on to play for the Badgers. We had a 44 game winning streak broken in a road game at Wisconsin Rapids Assumption in our last game before the tournament.

All the teams in that tournament were very good. Mike J. at Pius was a good enough athlete to beat Edgewood in the finals of the state baseball tourney that year and later pitch at the triple A level in the Yankees organization. BTW, I think the real gun for Xavier that year was Kip Whitlinger. Rocky Blier was a junior.

Nukem2
09-12-2014, 04:17 PM
I was a senior at Madison Edgewood. We were also in the tournament as defending champions. Beat Pius with Mike Juerewicz (spelling?) and Bob Steber who I believe were regular season Milwaukee Catholic League champions. We played MUHS in the semis and sophomore Chuck Nagle bombed us into submission. That year Edgewood's star was Denny Sweeney who went on to play for the Badgers. We had a 44 game winning streak broken in a road game at Wisconsin Rapids Assumption in our last game before the tournament.

All the teams in that tournament were very good. Mike J. at Pius was a good enough athlete to beat Edgewood in the finals of the state baseball tourney that year and later pitch at the triple A level in the Yankees organization. BTW, I think the real gun for Xavier that year was Kip Whitlinger. Rocky Blier was a junior.
Yep, Whitlinger was the real gun. Was going to post that, but the name escaped me. Wasn't He a star tennis player as well?

wiscwarrior
09-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Yep, Whitlinger was the real gun. Was going to post that, but the name escaped me. Wasn't He a star tennis player as well?

Yes, I think so. I believe his daughters played tennis at tOSU.

wiscwarrior
09-15-2014, 12:53 PM
IWB, I'm sorry that my posting killed your website. ;)