PDA

View Full Version : Providence Great Passes Away

TedBaxter
09-09-2014, 01:45 AM
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140908-pc-basketball-great-marvin-barnes-dead-at-62.ece

Marvin Barnes dead at 62.

Phantom Warrior
09-09-2014, 06:29 AM
"Bad News" really was bad news. He was a hell of a player, though. I think he and Big Luke played together in the ABA if memory serves before Luke joined the Trailblazers. If I'm right, that might have been the most physically intimidating pair of forwards in basketball history.

But the guy who floored me on those Providence teams was Ernie D. I honestly think he was the best passer I have ever seen and without question the most creative. I thought he'd have a terrific NBA career despite his size, but he quickly earned the moniker of "Ernie No D," and that was all she wrote.

Those were some great Friar teams. I'm guessing the Providence boards are extremely active today, just as MU boards were after Dean the Dream's passing. Both Barnes and Dean were legends, icons, and both, unfortunately succumbed to drugs.

TulsaWarrior
09-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Providence could have won the NCCA Title back in those days if the injury bug and Barnes off court behavior hadn't done the Friars in.