PDA

View Full Version : Mu #76

Phantom Warrior
09-08-2014, 11:52 PM
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/page+7

Among BE national universities GTown ranks first, MU second. Others are SHU, DePaul, and St. John's.

Nova is usually listed as a Regional University, as are Providence, Creighton, Xavier, and Butler.

By the way, UW is #48, down just a tad from where it's normally been ranked the last 10-15 years.

The rankings, of course, don't mean squat, except they do. Rankings create a public image, which can affect number of applications and quality of applicant.

Personally, I view rankings like these as a bunch of crap, but I'm guessing the MU administration and BoT care about the school's various rankings.

The Reptile
09-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Phantom, I'm in agreement with you on the rankings. Schools like uw@madison get points for graduate programs which most of their students never take advantage of. That said, I'm proud to see MU show up with a good ranking since as you state it does create an image.

KMWTRUCKS
09-09-2014, 08:08 AM
I think rankings mean quite a bit. A big part of them is the quality of student you are accepting and the better the student you accept The better the education is going to be in general. IMO. I Live in ILL and I can tell you that getting into U of I is way harder then getting into Marquette so to have then 34 places higher then us makes sense. I do agree that smaller schools May be underrated compared to Big schools in the quality of the education once you are arrive and also private schools might be underrated because you may get more focused students due to cost through a few variables. I'm quite Happy with 76, I look at the schools above us and don't see how we could move up more then 5-10 spots in a perfect scenario. I'm also glad we are still looked at as a National school.

TheSultan
09-09-2014, 08:39 AM
The ratings do a great job of measuring inputs. Not a great job for actually determining where you get a better education.