PDA

View Full Version : The Ten Most Memorable Louisville Vs. Marquette Games Of All-Time

CaribouJim
09-06-2014, 05:11 PM
http://www.cardchronicle.com/2012/1/16/2710357/ten-most-memorable-louisville-vs-marquette-games-rivalry-cardinals-knowles-jerry-smith

I assume that this was posted a couple years ago, but I don't remember it. Good stuff. Hope they can renew the rivalry on some type of regular basis.

Goose85
09-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Man that was a great rivalry with some incredible games. Reading that brought back great memories as well as some brutal ones.

I agree Caribou, I hope they can somehow get that game back on the schedule.

warriorfan4life
09-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Man that was a great rivalry with some incredible games. Reading that brought back great memories as well as some brutal ones.

I agree Caribou, I hope they can somehow get that game back on the schedule.

It would have never happened with Buzz here, but hoping that we play them at least on a rotating basis going forward.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
09-08-2014, 10:44 AM
I'd pass on Louisville. Much rather play Notre Dame. Looking at that list, only 2 of the 10 are from the 1990s, both MU wins. Then you have the other 8 games, 6 of which were won by Louisville. For me, that's what Louisville is. Heartbreaking losses, last-second losses, or utter demolitions when we thought we had a chance. It's Reece Gaines and Jerry Smith and Francisco Garcia and a 47-point loss and an utter collapse on the road. I want no part of the Cardinals. Virtually all those memories are bad.

CaribouJim
09-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I'd pass on Louisville. Much rather play Notre Dame. Looking at that list, only 2 of the 10 are from the 1990s, both MU wins. Then you have the other 8 games, 6 of which were won by Louisville. For me, that's what Louisville is. Heartbreaking losses, last-second losses, or utter demolitions when we thought we had a chance. It's Reece Gaines and Jerry Smith and Francisco Garcia and a 47-point loss and an utter collapse on the road. I want no part of the Cardinals. Virtually all those memories are bad.

To be the best you have to play the best and 'Ville is consistently at or near the top year in and year out.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
09-08-2014, 04:41 PM
I know, I just don't want Louisville. They seem to have some kind of hex on us. It's a combination of two things...I really hate them and it seems they always beat us. Those two together make the defeats worse. I'd rather see a team like ND, Cincy, Memphis, UConn, or Pitt that we also have history with, is a high-level team, but doesn't treat us like a Raggedy Ann doll.

Goose85
09-08-2014, 04:50 PM
I know, I just don't want Louisville. They seem to have some kind of hex on us. It's a combination of two things...I really hate them and it seems they always beat us. Those two together make the defeats worse. I'd rather see a team like ND, Cincy, Memphis, UConn, or Pitt that we also have history with, is a high-level team, but doesn't treat us like a Raggedy Ann doll.

I know what you mean, but I think Louisville has a very good chance of being the best team, or in the top couple every year in the ACC. Just having them on the schedule would be very good, win or lose. Better chance of a TV game than ND, Memphis, or the others.

CaribouJim
09-08-2014, 05:41 PM

MU had a nice run against Slick Rick - didn't MU beat him 3 times in one year (during FF year or was it during the 3 Amigos tenure?) and wasn't it just a couple years ago where MU was way behind in first half and ended slaughtering them?

I do want MU to play ND too though - I miss the road trips to ND and the Linebacker Inn - I don't think I missed an @ ND game since MU joined the Big East - same with SU but I highly doubt MU will play SU again while Boeheim is still there - he always whined about MU not being a good fit for the Big East.

Gato78
09-08-2014, 08:07 PM
1. I too think ND is better for us. I do miss pre-gaming at "the backer" with Caribou et al.
2. Boeheim "always whined" is a redundancy. When has Jim Boeheim not whined?

MUFLA
09-08-2014, 08:17 PM
I remember Crean having had a good run against RP also. Prefer a series with the Cards over ND. The Irish will lower our RPI.

pbiflyer
09-08-2014, 09:31 PM
One of the first games I remember well was MU-Louisville game back in the early 80s. Was there. Doc Rivers & company went toe to toe with the more talented Cardinals, ranked top 10 IIRC. I think they went to the final four that year. Had the McCray brothers and some others. We just ran out of gas at the end, but it was non stop action on both ends. Way more athletic of a game that you typically saw back then.
While I loved watching MU hoops, it really hooked me as a college basketball fan. Have always liked watching Louisville play and really love beating them.
As much as I hate ND, I would prefer a series with Louisville over them.