PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Big East Preview

MulliganMusings
08-25-2014, 02:42 PM
From Real GM Basketball

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/234713/College-Basketball-Preview-14-15-Big-East

Phantom Warrior
08-25-2014, 06:20 PM
I think it's a pretty fair assessment.

MU/Panther
08-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Don't know where they got where the Big East can't offer stipends.

warriorfan4life
08-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Don't know where they got where the Big East can't offer stipends.

The college basketball media's ignorance/assumptions of the new rules and severe underestimation of the resources Big East schools have available. That FS1 contract is just as lucrative as ever, even if the ratings were not exemplary in the first year of coverage.

As far as Hanner's preview goes, my two minor bones of contention are having Xavier one classification too low and Seton Hall one classification too low. I think Xavier has top 25 type talent, and the pieces look to fit together pretty well. Chris Mack may have a few issues trying to assuage the egos of 12 players expecting PT, but that is never a bad problem to have. I really like Hall's potential starting line-up of Gibbs, Sina, Whitehead, Mobley, and Delgado, and could envision them being NCAA good if they finally avoid injuries and Whitehead is a stud from day one.

Very well done on the whole, and I hope the conference can produce five tournament teams this year. Also, outside of Nova and likely St. John's, I feel like everyone of these teams could/should be better a year from now (and I think Georgetown, X, and Marquette could all be significantly better).

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-26-2014, 03:15 PM
The way the media has put it out there makes it seem as though the five conferences that pushed for premium scholarships are the only ones that can offer such scholarships. Clearly we all know that is false, but anyone that just glanced at the surface of the article and didn't pay attention to the Big East response from Val Ackerman likely doesn't know otherwise and feels this is the final nail in the coffin of the Big East, Mountain West, A-10, and other conferences that aren't given the "Power 5" moniker.

Goose85
08-26-2014, 03:39 PM
I would think most if not all of the other five FBS football conferences would up the ante, as will the Big East, A-10, West Coast and maybe others.

I guess the issue could come from smaller conferences where, say Belmont or Green Bay, wants to play and pay like the big 5 but the rest of the conference doesn't. I'd think we could see some shifting of some schools in those conferences.

Phantom Warrior
08-26-2014, 06:17 PM
If I understand the situation correctly, individual schools can make their own decisions regardless of any decisions made by their conference.

My guess is after a few years, roughly 100 schools will offer benefits above what the rest of the 350+ D-1 programs offer. MU will be one of those 100.

warriorfan4life
08-26-2014, 06:32 PM
If I understand the situation correctly, individual schools can make their own decisions regardless of any decisions made by their conference.

My guess is after a few years, roughly 100 schools will offer benefits above what the rest of the 350+ D-1 programs offer. MU will be one of those 100.

I think most of the AAC, A-10, and Mountain West schools, as well as Wichita State and Gonzaga, will want to match the Big 5 and Big East schools. I just wonder if they will have enough revenue coming in for it to be feasible for them.

Goose85
08-27-2014, 09:32 AM
I think most of the AAC, A-10, and Mountain West schools, as well as Wichita State and Gonzaga, will want to match the Big 5 and Big East schools. I just wonder if they will have enough revenue coming in for it to be feasible for them.

It's not so much revenue as it is donors. Make sure you have some donors that will cover those costs.

Also depends on how this is handled for the other sports - does a kid with a half schollie for soccer get the additional money, or just full schollie kids? Is it just revenue sports or does womens crew get the extra money?