PDA

View Full Version : MU well represented in pre-season soccer rankings for both...

CaribouJim
08-13-2014, 03:39 PM
...men's and women's teams:

MU#12 for the guys (Georgetown #9)
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/rankings/_/pollId/19/sportId/20030000

MU #15 for the girls (Georgetown #20)
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/rankings/_/pollId/20/sportId/20530000

I've asked this before, but would it make sense for a guys and girls soccer doubleheader and at MU - kind of make it a Homecoming weekend of some kind? Really promote it to bring alums on campus and schedule something for the evening and maybe a brunch on Sunday morning. Have coaches from ALL the MU teams intermingle with alums - maybe make it a special B&G fund raiser for the non-b-ball sports as the recent rulings are making those sports more than vulnerable.

warriorfan4life
08-13-2014, 03:43 PM
...men's and women's teams:

MU#12 for the guys (Georgetown #9)
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/rankings/_/pollId/19/sportId/20030000

MU #15 for the girls (Georgetown #20)
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/rankings/_/pollId/20/sportId/20530000

I've asked this before, but would it make sense for a guys and girls soccer doubleheader and at MU - kind of make it a Homecoming weekend of some kind? Really promote it to bring alums on campus and schedule something for the evening and maybe a brunch on Sunday morning. Have coaches from ALL the MU teams intermingle with alums - maybe make it a special B&G fund raiser for the non-b-ball sports as the recent rulings are making those sports more than vulnerable.

Like the idea, but not sure if the field could handle a doubleheader. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of the same stadium/field hosting consecutive matches at any level above high school.

CaribouJim
08-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Like the idea, but not sure if the field could handle a doubleheader. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of the same stadium/field hosting consecutive matches at any level above high school.

The field would get beat up that bad? Didn't even think of that - I guess a bad rain would wreak havoc. Bummer. Oh well.

Maybe try it with the guys only one year and the girls the next year or something if it went well with the guys. Was also thinking that it would be cool to have a pep-rally the night before.

Goose85
08-13-2014, 04:06 PM

On August 24th the men play Wright State at Valley Fields at 1:30 and the women play Northwestern at Valley Fields at 4:30.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
08-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Great to see so much success for both men's and women's programs! Let's hope they can both have nice years.

W4life - The field would be completely fine for back to back games - there would be zero issue with this (unless there was an absolute monsoon).

We're having the 50th anniversary party on October 11th vs St. Johns. Unfortunately the girls team is in DC that weekend - that wouldve been an opportune time to have a double header/homecoming type of day. That wouldve been a smart move by MU athletics.

MUAlphaBangura
08-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Don't forget the Volleyball team is just shy of having a place in the pre-season rankings. Have a feeling they will be ranked at some npoint this season. If you haven't had the chance to watch them play, I'd highly recommend it. Very entertaining.

Mucrisco
08-13-2014, 07:54 PM

I've been to a National Team friendly with an MLS match directly afterward. The field would be fine.

warriorfan4life
08-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Glad to be wrong then, as it's an awesome idea and would love for Caribou's initial idea to come to fruition.

MUBasketball
08-14-2014, 06:07 AM
I greatly dislike soccer (many share my opinion although I find it just as boring as baseball, yet that's wildly popular in this country. I don't get it). Anyway, the one thing I do know is Louis Bennett's transformation of the men's program has been absolutely remarkable. I remember the program being pretty awful prior to his arrival.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
08-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Anyway, the one thing I do know is Louis Bennett's transformation of the men's program has been absolutely remarkable. I remember the program being pretty awful prior to his arrival.

Adlard had some decent years, went to the tourney in 1997, team was ranked as high as #7 in the country in 1999 and fell apart down the stretch, made the Conf USA championship game in 2000, 2001 regular season Conference USA champs and upset in first rd of CUSA tourney by #8 seed Cincy in shootouts (my last game, still stings). But yes after that, things really started to decline. Louis really has the program moving in the right direction which is weird to say bc I hated him and UWM (who were always very good) back in the day.