PDA

View Full Version : Playing Time Predictions

TheSultan
08-05-2014, 09:09 AM
This was brought up on Scoop so I thought I would bring it over here for some discussion. Here is what my predictions are for playing time...although I realize that we will likely see a couple players get 32-35 minutes, and some less than 10.

To start the season, I am going with this...

1. Derrick (20), Carlino (10), Dawson (10)
2. Carlino (20), Duane (20)
3. Johnson (25), Anderson (5), Cohen (10)
4. Burton (25), Anderson (15)
5. Taylor (30), Burton (5), Anderson (5)

When Fischer gets eligible and the conference season starts, I am thinking more like this...

1. Derrick (18), Carlino (10), Dawson (12)
2. Carlino (20), Duane (20)
3. Johnson (25), Anderson (10), Duane (5 - SMALL BALL!!)
4. Burton (25), Taylor (10), Anderson (5)
5. Fischer (25), Taylor (15)

The wildcards to me is Duane Wilson and his role. If the guy can shoot like he did in high school, I might be underestimating his minutes. Also Johnson and Dawson could be much better than I am giving them credit for. They could take up more minutes.

I see Anderson being the super-sub type and playing a little bit of everywhere. Doing nothing spectacular but a lot of little things.

I think most of the guards are interchangeable. You have four guards that could conceivably play point guard.

Nukem2
08-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Good a guess as any. Suspect we may see 4 guards on the floor periodically, especially during the NC season. Really excited to see Duane on the floor. Watching him in the pre-game warm-ups at the BC, he just seemed so fluid in his movements with a nice looking shot. Certainly is athletic.

Goose85
08-05-2014, 10:55 AM
I agree that Carlino will be more of a 2G, but other than Derrick who is a point, I think you can mix and match the others. His p.t. will be driven by his ability to play D and our need for 3's.

One area I think might be different is I think Burton may get a lot of time at a small forward type spot with Anderson / Taylor and Fischer each getting about 25 min or so at the 4/5 spots (assuming both Taylor and Fischer are good to go 100%). I think Burton will be a beast for most 3's to cover, and he can shoot from mid range, definately drive, and hit the 3. Depending on the type of defense, I think Burton could really excel at the 3 spot. It all depends on how well Fischer and Taylor can play together as 4/5.

Not knowing defensive scheme and of course propensity to foul, I think Burton will log the most minutes on the team.

I think Juan will contribute more than some may think. I don't think he will lead the team in minutes, but he very well could be in the top 3.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Once Fischer gets eligible, it wouldn't surprise me to see either him or Taylor on the floor at all times. I could see both of them averaging close to 30 minutes if they hold up, simply to give us some element of size.

Otherwise, I think Sultan's estimates are pretty close to what I'd say.

MU/Panther
08-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Sandy Cohen might be a sleeper for Marquette. I was surpised from what I saw from him.

Nukem2
08-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Sandy Cohen might be a sleeper for Marquette. I was surpised from what I saw from him.
Thogh, as a consensus RSCI top 100 player, it might be a stretch to call him a sleeper. Suspect that Wojo might be more inclined to give a frosh more rope than Buzz did?

CaribouJim
08-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Thogh, as a consensus RSCI top 100 player, it might be a stretch to call him a sleeper. Suspect that Wojo might be more inclined to give a frosh more rope than Buzz did?

I sure do hope so.

Goose85
08-05-2014, 02:43 PM
A lot of Buzz's p.t. was predicated on defense. As some of the players have said, whatever D Wojo runs can't be as complicated as Buzz's defense.

If Cohen shows he can play D in practice and early in the non conference season, he will get a chance to be MU/Panther's sleeper.

MU/Panther
08-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Thogh, as a consensus RSCI top 100 player, it might be a stretch to call him a sleeper. Suspect that Wojo might be more inclined to give a frosh more rope than Buzz did?I was thinking more mintues than on the top on this page.