PDA

View Full Version : S.I. Successor Series: Who would take over for Mike Krzyzewski at Duke?

CaribouJim
08-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted - Wojo listed as a long shot. I was thinking Coach K was a bit younger than 67. He's 19 years older than when Al hung it up - yikes. It is amazing that he still doesn't have any gray hair.:D

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/06/20/duke-mike-krzyzewski-potential-replacements

Make sure to click on Wojo's pic for a very extended interview with Wojo - click on his picture.

Steve Wojciechowski, Marquette head coach. Former Duke player and assistant? Check. His chances are very similar to Collins' – no one would have been shocked if Wojciechowski took over via a mere promotion had Krzyzewski left last year – but he's included in the long-range category here simply because he hasn't even coached a game at Marquette yet. Presumably, Wojciechowski will do fine at a school with abundant resources. (Marquette spent more money on basketball in fiscal year 2012-13 than Indiana did, per U.S. Dept. of Education figures.) In the event that he does, he'll eventually be in the mix.

unclejohn
08-04-2014, 04:01 PM
I think the speculation makes for an interesting magazine article, but that's about it. Of course things are going to change when these coaches do actually retire, so the whole situation will be different. But the thing that struck me about all the Duke possibilities is whether they would want the job. Of course Duke would be a coveted position. But also a tough one. It is always difficult to follow a legend, and that is probably more so at Duke than most places. Unlike Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, and most of the other blue bloods, Duke's success has been almost entirely under one coach. Look at how it went for Carolina. Dean Smith retired. The obvious choice, Roy Williams, declined and decided to stay at Kansas. His longtime assistant flopped. So they went after a former assistant and supposed up-and-comer, and he flopped. And they found that lots of people turned them down. Supposedly, George Karl wanted the job, but Herb Kohl wouldn't let him out of his contract. (Big mistake) Williams finally took it, only after Smith personally called him up and begged him.

That's how I see it here. I think Brey would be the best possibility. He is a much better coach than the ND fan base gives him credit for. But he can stay at ND forever, and Duke would be a tough place. And as that article notes, he might be a tough hire, since he has not had constant and high level success at ND. I think he has done just fine, but the Duke fan base probably would not. As for the rest, most of them are trying to or have built their own programs somewhere else. Amaker is not going anywhere. His wife is a professor at Harvard, and they supposedly love being there. I he was going to leave for something bigger, his big chance was last year and Boston College. He would not have had to leave town, and he could still enjoy all the intellectual and prestige advantages at Harvard. If he didn't move then, he isn't moving.

I think Stevens might be a good possibility depending on when he gets fired in the NBA, which he will, because everybody except Jerry Sloan and Popvich does. It depends on timing. I think either Wojo or Collins would be the most likely candidates. I expect both are going to have some success. Wojo is taking over a successful program and is already attracting some good players. Collins almost can't miss at Northwestern, as anything above mediocre is a huge success there. Both of them would likely find the Duke job tempting. OTOH, if either or both experiences significant success, it would be harder to move. Wojo could take over the Marquette program and make it his own. Collins is from the Chicago area, and can likely stay at Northwestern forever. Pat Fitzgerald probably will for football. He is from the area, the fans love him, and the expectations are reasonable. Despite their terrible season last year, there was absolutely no call to replace him last year. There is no expectation that he has to win the conference or a national championship. As long as his teams have winning records most years and beat a few big name opponents, he is fine. The same would probably be true for Collins. If he actually gets the team into the NCAA tournament, they will build a statue of him. If either of these guys were likely to move, it would have to be in the next few years. The longer they stay put, the more likely they stay put.

TheSultan
08-04-2014, 04:13 PM
I think they will definitely hire a Coach K guy, because if they don't, Coach K will not be happy and his allies within the University will not be happy. Does that mean Amacher? Wojo? Collins? Dawkins? Capel? Who knows... But I doubt it will be an outsider because that will be very difficult for the athletic director and president - and frankly could cost both their jobs if he fails.

The time to hire an outsider, like Stevens, is if/when his successor fails.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-04-2014, 04:26 PM
I think that is the double edge sword that MU has, if they are super successful the next 3 years Wojo will bolt for Duke, no question in my mind. On the other hand you can't root for him to not be successful either. I kind of have the feeling that Wojo will be around as long as the Duke job isn't open, otherwise it means he got fired.

MUAlphaBangura
08-04-2014, 04:46 PM
I think they will definitely hire a Coach K guy, because if they don't, Coach K will not be happy and his allies within the University will not be happy. Does that mean Amacher? Wojo? Collins? Dawkins? Capel? Who knows... But I doubt it will be an outsider because that will be very difficult for the athletic director and president - and frankly could cost both their jobs if he fails.

The time to hire an outsider, like Stevens, is if/when his successor fails.

Maybe they will hire a search firm!:cool:

CaribouJim
08-04-2014, 04:47 PM
I think Stevens might be a good possibility depending on when he gets fired in the NBA, which he will, because everybody except Jerry Sloan and Popvich does. It depends on timing. I think either Wojo or Collins would be the most likely candidates. I expect both are going to have some success. Wojo is taking over a .

I really don't buy into the Stevens will be back in college at the first opportunity - I keep seeing that and I don't agree with that at all. As far as getting fired, I wouldn't assume that either. He is in a perfect situation with the Celts - no real pressure as they are rebuilding the team while giving him time to acclimate to the NBA game. If he did get fired, depending on the circumstances, that would decrease the likelihood that Duke would hire him IMO.

Stevens is off the charts smart and talented - you don't get to back-to-back championship games with a non-blue-blood, although talented, program with only 2 guys graduating to the NBA. Other than that big paycheck, I think he sees the challenge in reviving one of the premier franchises in all of sports.

That and he may not like the slime factor of college b-ball and/or the 24/7 of recruiting and he may just like the NBA style of ball better than the college game.

Goose85
08-04-2014, 04:49 PM
I think that is the double edge sword that MU has, if they are super successful the next 3 years Wojo will bolt for Duke, no question in my mind. On the other hand you can't root for him to not be successful either. I kind of have the feeling that Wojo will be around as long as the Duke job isn't open, otherwise it means he got fired.

True, let's say Wojo has MU rockin and rollin over the next few years. It sure should make him a candidate.
But, what if Collins has Northwestern in the NCAA tourney a couple years in a row. That might put him at the top of the list, especially seeing as Northwestern has never made the NCAA tourney.

I will be pulling for Wojo to knock it out of the park for MU, but at the same time I also hope Collins and his Northwestern hoops team can make some program history over the same period.

unclejohn
08-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Too many variables to worry about, so I will not speculate on what is going to be good for Marquette. Perhaps if Wojo is super-successful at Marquette, he runs to Duke at the first opportunity. Or perhaps he stays, because Marquette is now his program and he is bullet-proof. Not likely, but possible. But if he does, that means that Marquette will have had another successful run of 3-5 years, which would mean three straight coaches who have been successful here, which makes it a very attractive destination for the next Shaka Smart. (Obviously not the current one, but the next big name.)

Litehouse
08-04-2014, 05:41 PM
If Wojo is so successful at MU that Duke eventually wants him in 5 years, I'm cool with that. Also, I kind of like the idea that other schools won't try to poach him if they think he'll eventually go to Duke anyway, so we don't have to go through the coaching carousel every year.

CaribouJim
08-04-2014, 07:32 PM
If Wojo is so successful at MU that Duke eventually wants him in 5 years, I'm cool with that. Also, I kind of like the idea that other schools won't try to poach him if they think he'll eventually go to Duke anyway, so we don't have to go through the coaching carousel every year.

Good point. Three out of the last four MU coaches improved, for the most part, the program markedly IMO, but eventually moved on voluntarily. Give me another 5 years of the same from Wojo and I'm more than happy.

TheSultan
08-04-2014, 07:48 PM
maybe they will hire a search firm!:cool:

Ha! :D

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-05-2014, 07:05 AM
It is always difficult to follow a legend, and that is probably more so at Duke than most places. Unlike Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, and most of the other blue bloods, Duke's success has been almost entirely under one coach.

This always comes up when K is mentioned, but it just isn't true. Vic Bubas took the Blue Devils to three Final Fours and once to the final game in the 1960s. Bill Foster had Duke in the NCAA Finals just two years before K arrived and the Elite Eight the year before he took over.

In the 20 years before Coach K arrived, Duke went to four Final Fours and the Elite Eight twice. It was hardly a moribund program he took over. Sure, his 4 titles and additional 6 Final Fours are more impressive than anyone who came before him, but his 34 years are more than double the time Bubas and Foster spent at Duke combined. K took the reins at a high-level program and took them to the next level.

MUMac
08-05-2014, 08:07 AM
This always comes up when K is mentioned, but it just isn't true. Vic Bubas took the Blue Devils to three Final Fours and once to the final game in the 1960s. Bill Foster had Duke in the NCAA Finals just two years before K arrived and the Elite Eight the year before he took over.

In the 20 years before Coach K arrived, Duke went to four Final Fours and the Elite Eight twice. It was hardly a moribund program he took over. Sure, his 4 titles and additional 6 Final Fours are more impressive than anyone who came before him, but his 34 years are more than double the time Bubas and Foster spent at Duke combined. K took the reins at a high-level program and took them to the next level.

Don't forget that prior to Coach K, only the ACC Tournament Champion went to the NCAA's. One team from the conference, no at large bids.

KMWTRUCKS
08-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I think Stevens would be in play. At this point none of the Duke Off spring have been killing it. Collins won't, Amaker has already failed, Brey is just to old for a jump at this point. I know Roy jumped but Roy was way more high profile when he left Kansas then Brey. Stevens did not want to leave Butler for just a High Major coaching job, I think it was out of loyality. But Duke, Kent, IU, NC, Kansas might be different. The celtics are going to be bad for a while at this point. How many years can the celtics be lottery teams before Stevens gets fired? 4-5. Blue bloods only come open once every 5 years so if that is what you want you have to jump. Self is not going anywhere. Calipari is pretty young still, Roy will probably last longer then Mike K. Crean of the group is on the worst footing, but will probably to just good enough not to be fired. I hate to say it but WOJO assuming he has us back in the NCAA at worst next year would probably move up the list quickly. has a talented roster, and looks to be having a good recruiting class plus MU really supports winning. I would never blame a Duke player, 10 year assistant, going back to his Blue Blood alma mater. Way different then Buzz going to V TECH.

TheSultan
08-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Stevens just doesn't seem the type to go back to the NCAA. He reminds me a lot more of PJ Carlesimo than he does of Rick Pitino in that regard. Carlesimo stuck with the NBA, despite failing, because he didn't to go back to recruiting and the like. (And he had his opportunities.) Pitino is a better fit in college.