PDA

View Full Version : Value of ProAm

Gato78
08-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Went to Pro Am tonight. The games are defenseless and guys like Burton are just jacking threes. There was a matchup tonight between Chief Cohen and JP Tokoto. Chief was a little timid to start but started feeling comfortable and they had a pretty nice matchup. Could actually see Cohen get confidence as the game progressed. I was talking to MUPanther and he agreed and said he saw the same thing happen to a couple UWM players over the years. There is really good talent this year-better than in years past. More pros. Local coaches, even Bo Ryan, need to see the value. I wish I could have been there more frequently. Worthwhile to go tomorrow for the final.

Goose85
08-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Saw the same thing. Cohen really handled himself well and kept his team in it against a team of Duane Wilson, JP Tokoto, and Philip Nolan from National Champ UConn. Cohen has a better offensive game than I thought too, with a nice stroke from 3 (keeping in mind the pro am uses The NBA three line).

TheSultan
08-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Was there good MU representation last night?

IWB
08-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Yes - there has been the last two weeks. Juan, Derrick, Deonte, Duane, Sandy, Jajuan has been there too even though he has been injured. Dawson has been there but was not last night.

One other thing about Cohen, it was great to see Juan on the sidelines coaching him up in a big way. Great leadership out of Juan.

TheSultan
08-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Yes - there has been the last two weeks. Juan, Derrick, Deonte, Duane, Sandy, Jajuan has been there too even though he has been injured. Dawson has been there but was not last night.

One other thing about Cohen, it was great to see Juan on the sidelines coaching him up in a big way. Great leadership out of Juan.

I know Levin is coming off an injury, but is Carlino around?

Goose85
08-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Carlino Showed up one week and never came back. He can hit the long range J, but struggled defensively against quicker guards.

Nukem2
08-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Carlino Showed up one week and never came back. He can hit the long range J, but struggled defensively against quicker guards.Pretty much what I saw in the BYU-Oregon NCAA game at the BC in March.

Gato78
08-02-2014, 11:10 AM
So this is exactly the type of situation from which Carlino can benefit. Need to see the value.

MU/Panther
08-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Some guys take things seriously and some don't. I've work with some young kids who don't take their part time jobs seriously. They say well this is not what I'm not going to be doing for the rest of my life, so they half-ass it. To me they will be half-ass the rest of their life. Same goes with players in the Scion Dental Summer Pro. Junior Cadougan took it seriously, you saw that leadership on the floor. Jamil Jones didn't take it seriously. It has been a joy seeing many of the players from mid-major schools grow and get better through the years. Many oversea's pros play in the Pro-Am. There is ton value in the pro-am if one takes it seriously.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Some guys take things seriously and some don't. I've work with some young kids who don't take their part time jobs seriously. They say well this is not what I'm not going to be doing for the rest of my life, so they half-ass it. To me they will be half-ass the rest of their life. Same goes with players in the Scion Dental Summer Pro. Junior Cadougan took it seriously, you saw that leadership on the floor. Jamil Jones didn't take it seriously. It has been a joy seeing many of the players from mid-major schools grow and get better through the years. Many oversea's pros play in the Pro-Am. There is ton value in the pro-am if one takes it seriously.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that, I think it very much depends on the individual. I half assed my way through high school, high school jobs, and college to some extent and have been a very successful and hard working professional.

MU/Panther
08-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Fair point, was not meant to be all.

Goose85
08-04-2014, 12:36 PM
It is interesting. Most of the foreign pros take every game they play seriously. It is their job and they want to challenge themselves against good competition. Guys like Jerry Smith (Louisville / Euro), Ricky Franklin (UWM / France), Miles McKay (been MVP of a couple Euro leagues) Diante Garrett (NBA), Bry Perine (Euro Leagues) and a number of others. Those guys consider the pro am getting their work in and they want to play more serious games (understanding it is still pro am). Unfortunately for many of them their schedules don't allow them to be there every week.

Burton gets it, and while he likes to have fun (some Jamil Wilson rubbing off on him), he sees the value of being there every week. So do smaller school guys. The rest of the MU guys need see the value like the guys did a couple years ago.

I really have a problem with the UWM guys. It is a great opportunity for them to get good competition, get seen by some representatives / agents for foreign leagues, and even interact with fans and get them interested in their program.
Heck, take Drew Windler for example. He worked hard at the pro am for years and really improved. Like many other MU fans who went to the pro am over the years, I found myself pulling for him and ended up watching and following Belmont.
This is a chance for the UWM guys to actually have fans develop some type of interest in them and the team, yet they hardly ever show. Funny, on a few of the Friday nights, there were more fans at the pro am than some UWM games.

MU/Panther
08-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I know your last statement is over the top on the attendance part, but point well taken on some of the players. Matt Tiby and JJ Panoske was at the pro-am most of the time. Dan Studer and Akeem Springs seems like they showed up only on Friday's.

Goose85
08-04-2014, 01:28 PM
I know your last statement is over the top on the attendance part, but point well taken on some of the players. Matt Tiby and JJ Panoske was at the pro-am most of the time. Dan Studer and Akeem Springs seems like they showed up only on Friday's.

You got me on the attendance, but the point was if you want others (like MU fans) to take an interest in your program / team, here is a chance to get exposure in front of a number of fans that would not normally get exposed to your players. It's on Jeter to get these guys to the pro am.

MU/Panther
08-04-2014, 01:36 PM
You got me on the attendance, but the point was if you want others (like MU fans) to take an interest in your program / team, here is a chance to get exposure in front of a number of fans that would not normally get exposed to your players. It's on Jeter to get these guys to the pro am.

I agree with you. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff at UWM don't agree with our views in what I've heared from them. It sounds more like a take it or leave it. That being said, it was the most current UWM players that were signed up in the 5 years of the pro-am.