PDA

View Full Version : Tony Benford, SMU & North Texas

IWB
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Andy Katz is reporting that SMU did talk to Benford about a coach in waiting deal for $500k (http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7823715/smu-mustangs-expect-decision-larry-brown-days-sources-say), meaning they would hire him as an assistant with a condition that he would take over when Larry Brown leaves. Article says Buzz Peterson says he will not go with Brown, and reportedly Jerence Howard has been contacted as well. But, Benford is also the leader for the North Texas job.

First off, why is SMU going through this? Larry Brown but only for a couple of years, and he brings in World Wide Wes. Why? Hey recruits - come to SMU and you will lose your coach in a year or two, but we already know who the replacement will be..... what a weird deal.

Also, to be the finalist for a Big East job, don't get it and you are in the Sun Belt - coaching is a game of inches.

CaribouJim
04-17-2012, 12:33 PM
If offered the SMU job he would have to take it. North Texas?? No - something much, much better will come along for sure - don't sell yourself short Tony. He would be a perfect fit for SMU IMO.

AlexJesswein
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
If offered the SMU job he would have to take it. North Texas?? No - something much, much better will come along for sure - don't sell yourself short Tony. He would be a perfect fit for SMU IMO.

How many coaches go from assistant at one program in a power conference to head coach in a power conference?

IWB
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Buzz Williams did

AlexJesswein
04-17-2012, 01:05 PM
He was an assistant at Marquette though. I'm talking about going from one institution to another. MANY more end up going to the low-to-mid major level first.

CaribouJim
04-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Buzz Williams did

Crean as well - CUSA was a power conference at that time.

AlexJesswein
04-17-2012, 01:14 PM
All I'm saying is if North Texas offers him the job, it would be awfully hard to pass up and hope a power conference comes calling soon.

GOMU1104
04-17-2012, 01:24 PM
I wonder if Tony Mitchell's draft status would have an impact. I think it would be a lot easier for TB to go if Mitchell comes back for next year.

warriorfan4life
04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Andy Katz is reporting that SMU did talk to Benford about a coach in waiting deal for $500k (http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7823715/smu-mustangs-expect-decision-larry-brown-days-sources-say), meaning they would hire him as an assistant with a condition that he would take over when Larry Brown leaves. Article says Buzz Peterson says he will not go with Brown, and reportedly Jerence Howard has been contacted as well. But, Benford is also the leader for the North Texas job.

First off, why is SMU going through this? Larry Brown but only for a couple of years, and he brings in World Wide Wes. Why? Hey recruits - come to SMU and you will lose your coach in a year or two, but we already know who the replacement will be..... what a weird deal.

Also, to be the finalist for a Big East job, don't get it and you are in the Sun Belt - coaching is a game of inches.

I would argue that it is better to be a top dog in a mid-major league then an also ran in the Big East. With a couple of strong years at UNT, Benford could be right in line for a mid-level or better high-major job and not have to build from the ashes of an SMU.

Markedman
04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Roy Williams went from an assistant at NC with no head coaching experience to the head man at KU.

I agree it doesn't happen that often.

Mark Miller
04-18-2012, 09:49 AM
North Texas is actually a good job. The school wins and is likely headed from the Sun Belt to Conference USA.

TulsaWarrior
04-18-2012, 10:20 AM
North Texas is positioned well and a move to Conference USA will happen. They have alums with money, Denton is closer to the Dallas Metroplex than Madison is to Milwaukee. That puts UNT in a prime major market recruiting area. That program has the potential to take off.

Nukem2
04-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Anything new re Tony and the Nort Texas opening...? If Tony gets that job, would that be a likely landing place for Durley...?

AlexJesswein
04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
‏ via @UNTHOOPS

Marquette assistant coach Tony Benford was on hand for the UNT spring football game.Not saying it's him , but we should have news this week