PDA

View Full Version : Philip Flory headed to Oshkosh

IWB
07-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Mark Miller breaks the news....

Mark Miller ‏@WisBBYearbook

The state's top-ranked sophomore, Philip Flory, is set to transfer from WI Rapids Lincoln to Oshkosh North

Story on WisSports (http://www.wissports.net/news_article/show/405814?referrer_id=532521)

Gato78
07-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Is this legal under WIAA transfer rules?

Nukem2
07-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Is this legal under WIAA transfer rules?
Why not. They will live in Oshkosh.

IWB
07-28-2014, 04:51 PM
As long as the family moves it should be ok.

MU/Panther
07-28-2014, 05:17 PM
I thought the plan was to move to Milwaukee.

Mark Miller
07-28-2014, 07:11 PM
The top-ranked sophomore in Wisconsin is set to make the move from Wisconsin Rapids to Oshkosh.

By Mark Miller
WisSports.net Editor

Philip Flory, a 6-foot-4 wing guard who has verbally committed to Marquette University and is ranked No. 1 among class of 2017 prospects in the state by WisSports.net, will play for coach Frank Schade at Oshkosh North during the 2014-15 school year, his father, Mike, confirmed Monday.

A second-team all-league choice for Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln in the Wisconsin Valley Conference as a freshman, Flory is moving with his family from Wisconsin Rapids to Oshkosh and should gain immediate eligibility from the WIAA based on the transfer rules of the organization.

Mike Flory said in early June the family would likely move to the Milwaukee area, but those plans changed over the last month or so.

"We couldn't find anything that matched our needs in the Milwaukee area," said Flory, a former standout player at Rhinelander and Marquette. "The Oshkosh area is halfway in between my work area and the stuff Philip will need for basketball."

Philip Flory works out a few times per week with Steve Becker of Athlete Performance in Mequon. He also plays on the club scene with Playground Elite, which is located in the Milwaukee area.

"With the move to Oshkosh, we are an hour and 10 minutes from Mequon, about an hour and a half to the Marquette campus and I'm about an hour and a half away from my work," Mike Flory said. "We will be moving by the end of August."

Mike Flory said Philip Flory will register for classes at Oshkosh North this week.

A good perimeter shooter with excellent spin moves in the lane, Flory averaged 13.5 points per game for coach Dan Witter at Wisconsin Rapids last winter. He scored a career-best 26 points in an upset victory over La Crosse Central.

Flory played up an age group during the spring and summer with Playground Elite -- Smith and excelled for a very strong 16U squad that also included Juwan McCloud (5-10) of Germantown, Kaj Days (6-7) of Racine Park and Deang Deang (6-3) of Madison East, among others.

Flory joins a very strong Oshkosh North program that has qualified for the WIAA State Tournament five times during Frank Schade's 28 years as head coach, including three times in the past six seasons.

Oshkosh North finished 20-4 last season and went 16-2 in the Fox Valley Association, one game behind league-champion and WIAA Division 1 state runner-up Neenah.

The Spartans lose a pair of first-team all-league selections to graduation in point guard Nathan Neveau (Hillsdale) and forward Cooper Radtke (Northern Michigan), but Schade does return a very strong nucleus.

Senior Seth Taylor (6-2) was voted second-team all-FVA while senior Blake Marquardt (6-5) earned honorable mention all-league honors.

Senior Nick Bauer (5-8), who enters his final year of prep basketball as a three-year letter winner for the Spartans, also returns along with improved senior forward Jacob Madut (6-6).

Flory and incoming freshman Tyrese Haliburton (5-9) figure to give Schade a dynamic backcourt combination over the next three years, keeping the Spartans among the elite programs in one of the state's most respected conferences.

TheSultan
07-28-2014, 07:22 PM
The top-ranked sophomore in Wisconsin is set to make the move from Wisconsin Rapids to Oshkosh.

By Mark Miller
WisSports.net Editor

"We couldn't find anything that matched our needs in the Milwaukee area," said Flory, a former standout player at Rhinelander and Marquette. "The Oshkosh area is halfway in between my work area and the stuff Philip will need for basketball."

IOW...

"The Milwaukee area is expensive and Oshkosh is cheap."

Markedman
07-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Maybe he couldn't find a job near Milwaukee? 90 minute commute is going to get old in a hurry.....

MU Viking
07-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Maybe he couldn't find a job near Milwaukee? 90 minute commute is going to get old in a hurry.....

I did it for 2 1/2 years. It coincided with grey hair and a paunch developing...

TallTitan34
07-29-2014, 04:31 PM
I drove from Rockford, IL to Harvard, IL then hopped on a train to downtown Chicago for 3.5 years. It's doable.

TheSultan
07-29-2014, 06:46 PM
I drove from Rockford, IL to Harvard, IL then hopped on a train to downtown Chicago for 3.5 years. It's doable.

I remember you mentioning that. Did you move from Rockford or get a job closer to home?

IWB
07-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Goose85 commuted from Milwaukee to Illinois for years. My wife still works in Sears Tower, but only goes down once per week, when we were first married she was going every day.

Happens a lot more than people realize.

pbiflyer
07-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Goose85 commuted from Milwaukee to Illinois for years. My wife still works in Sears Tower, but only goes down once per week, when we were first married she was going every day.

TMI. :p

Gato78
07-29-2014, 07:51 PM
I hear she stopped doing the happy dance a long time ago.

only goes down once per week, when we were first married she was going every day.

Goose85
07-29-2014, 07:53 PM
I was traveling an hour and fifteen each way from Mil to northern Ill. Got used to it and it was an easy drive. Most people I worked with traveled less miles but long commute times. I listened to a lot of Chicago sports radio.

DCwarrior
07-29-2014, 10:05 PM
My 5 mile commute into and out of DC each day can take 45 minutes. Enjoy the lack of traffic in Milwaukee and Wisconsin.

Smee
07-30-2014, 08:16 AM
I bought a new office building last year and doubled my commute from about 45 seconds to a minute and a half. Sometimes less if the light is green.:D

TulsaWarrior
07-30-2014, 08:34 AM
We live in Eugene, Oregon and my wife works at Boston University. The commute takes about 45 seconds. ;-) Her work is all online. She says the biggest problem is dealing with her husband. (some retired bum who likes to get up at 5 AM)

MUMac
07-30-2014, 08:37 AM
I lived in Tampa for several years. My commute from Easter to Thanksgiving was about 15-20 minutes. From Thanksgiving to Easter, about 90 minutes.

CaribouJim
07-30-2014, 09:11 AM

...and I often would see her when I too was working in the Willis Tower. Many times I would be on a crowded elevator with her and not knowing I was on the elevator with her she was unloading on her work colleagues about her good for nothing, lazy a$$ husband and how he cared more about MU's chances of landing some 16 year-old that he did about her. She seemed very upset. I typically chimed in agreeing with her 100% and added more reasons for her to be distraught about her husband.

IWB
07-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Classic.

unclejohn
07-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Yes, it is all relative. When I left the Milwaukee area, I lived in Port Washington. More than a few people asked me how I could put up with the commute. It was a pretty long distance, but all highway, and usually pretty clear. OTOH, it used to take me an hour to get to high school about eight miles away, and going just about anywhere in Chicago, you had better plan on an hour. There is no fast way to go anywhere in this city. I would much rather drive forty-five minutes on a highway and listen to whatever is on the radio than spend an hour covering a shorter distance, stopping and starting constantly, and tryin to avoid idiots.

Gato78
07-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Sounds like you should move back to Milwaukee

Yes, it is all relative. When I left the Milwaukee area, I lived in Port Washington. More than a few people asked me how I could put up with the commute. It was a pretty long distance, but all highway, and usually pretty clear. OTOH, it used to take me an hour to get to high school about eight miles away, and going just about anywhere in Chicago, you had better plan on an hour. There is no fast way to go anywhere in this city. I would much rather drive forty-five minutes on a highway and listen to whatever is on the radio than spend an hour covering a shorter distance, stopping and starting constantly, and tryin to avoid idiots.