PDA

View Full Version : OT: Big 12 Commish Says Cheating Pays

Goose85
07-21-2014, 01:17 PM
The Big 12 Commish says that cheating pays, and I'd bet most think he is right.

Also talks about the future need to drop olympic sports to pay for football and basketball with the new expected expenses.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24631056/big-12s-bowlsby-rips-ncaa-says-cheating-pays-predicts-financial-stress

MUMac
07-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Reading that, I am not that far away from avoiding college athletics all together.

Goose85
07-21-2014, 01:38 PM
An issue with the NCAA is that it makes virtually no money from football, yet football is likely its biggest expense.

Another issue is all are not created equal.

Duke basketball player gets $100,000 worth the jewelry, with putting down $30K in cash and a $70K IOU. NCAA says they can't do anything because nobody will talk, so Duke's championship stays and no penalty.

Miami is investigated and former players wouldn't talk. Unlike Duke, the NCAA then says if former players won't talk we assume guilt.

Reggie Bush's mom gets to stay in a place rent free (not in the same city as USC). Reggie Bush gets the book thrown at him and USC. I guess they didn't get the memo not to talk. My guess is the rent didn't add up to the $100K the Duke player got in jewelery.

I know these aren't likely apples to apples, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency, and the NCAA probably doesn't have the resources to do things consistently.

TheSultan
07-21-2014, 01:51 PM
This really isn't about NCAA enforcement. If the Power 5 were clearly interested in more enforcement, they could easily provide them with the resources to do so. Just let them keep more of the television money from the NCAA basketball tournament and lower the value of the tournament credits.

But this isn't what this is about. This is all about the Power 5 laying the groundwork to leave the NCAA should they not get the autonomy they are seeking. The SEC, B10 and now B12 have all blasted the NCAA in the past few weeks. That's no accident.

MUMac
07-21-2014, 02:04 PM
This really isn't about NCAA enforcement. If the Power 5 were clearly interested in more enforcement, they could easily provide them with the resources to do so. Just let them keep more of the television money from the NCAA basketball tournament and lower the value of the tournament credits.

But this isn't what this is about. This is all about the Power 5 laying the groundwork to leave the NCAA should they not get the autonomy they are seeking. The SEC, B10 and now B12 have all blasted the NCAA in the past few weeks. That's no accident.

Yep. They are posing for holy pictures now to show how much forsight they had and blame it all on the NCAA. I had to choke when I read some of the comments from the self righteous Commissioners.