PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Championship Game

Gato78
07-15-2014, 07:21 PM
On TWC right now. I have watched this game 30 times and I still get nervous watching it. Young MU fans, record this game. MU hoops at its emotional best. We were a powerhouse.

Nukem2
07-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Was there for that Final 4. Simply outstanding drama and great basketball.

MU/Panther
07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Dick Enberg and Billy Packer could still be top hoops announcers.

Warriors69
07-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Damn, in NYC, we have Mike Deane's (with black hair)upset of Stanford

Gato78
07-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Still emotional. Bo and Butch were incredible. I really miss J Whitehead and Rose. All three coaches....They were too young. Loved those guys.

BLT
07-15-2014, 09:04 PM
For those who want to watch the game on-demand or out of town.

http://youtu.be/KEEXPiXBmEg

MU/Panther
07-15-2014, 09:06 PM
I notice the Marquette fans chanting, We Are Marquette. Didn't know that chant has been going that long.

Gato78
07-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Hearing other schools chant that pisses me off. We started that in the '70's.

MU/Panther
07-15-2014, 09:18 PM

Someone once told me Marquette got that chant from the Marshall plane crash movie.

BLT
07-15-2014, 09:20 PM

I got nasty looks in my section for screaming: "Give 'em hell, Buzz!"

Gato78
07-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Did that come from Marshall or the movie about the plane crash? I always thought that was our baby. It really grinds me when Georgetown uses it.

Someone once told me Marquette got that chant from the Marshall plane crash movie.

MU/Panther
07-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Did that come from Marshall or the movie about the plane crash? I always thought that was our baby. It really grinds me when Georgetown uses it.

The movie I'm sure made the, We are fill in the school chant big.

ValiantSailor
07-15-2014, 09:51 PM

I first heard it from USC fans ("We are SC") in the '67-'68 season. I tried to start the chant ("We are Marquette") at the '68 NCAA game against Bowling Green. It was ignored - total fail. Anyone know when it actually started at MU?

VS

pbiflyer
07-15-2014, 10:16 PM
We were taught it at freshman orientation in 1980.

unclejohn
07-15-2014, 10:18 PM
My guess is probably not. Fan bases do have a tendency to think they invented stuff. Kind of like how every generation thinks they are the ones who invented sex. The White Sox have become famous for chanting "Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye!" They even had the original band show up one time to play it. Fans there picked it up in the late 70's when they were having a particularly good season. I know we used to do it at high school football games at least a couple years earlier. I do not know if my school invented it. Probably not, although some of the classes before me were pretty clever when it came to cheers. (One of the best ones was having one guy from the band stick around until the fourth quarter and play Taps with a couple minutes left in a game we were about to win. It was pretty cool in big games. I brought the opposing teams' cheerleaders to tears at least a couple times.) I suspect it started somewhere in the Chicago area, as the band Steam was a Chicago group, but who knows?

So I do not know if Marquette started the "We are" chant or not. My guess is we didn't. So what? WE ARE MARQUETTE, and nobody else is. Other schools can go be whatever it is they are.

BLT
07-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Penn State puts a claim in for 1946. Marshall debunked as 1988. SC seems to be the consistent thread.

https://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1310947

http://archives.huntingtonnews.net/local/070104-spencer-wam.html

IWB
07-16-2014, 10:49 AM
I am not as old as some on this board, but I remember it from Marquette from back when Gato was there in mid 70s and it was always at Marquette High in my memory - Gato - did MUHS not use it when you were there?

Gato78
07-16-2014, 11:13 AM
I think MUHS used it when I was there but I am not entirely sure of that.

ge1974
07-16-2014, 12:39 PM
When I visited Marquette's campus during the weekend of the 1970 NIT Championship, students were chanting "We are Marquette" marching down Wisconsin Ave to the lake after the victory.

It was definately chanted at games my freshman year, 1970-71 when we had an undefeated regular season.

2012Warrior
07-16-2014, 12:53 PM
UW invented jumping around to Jump Around. Just in case anyone hasn't been around a Badger fan recently to be reminded.

CaribouJim
07-16-2014, 01:39 PM
"We are ND" has been around for awhile as well.

Gato78
07-16-2014, 01:59 PM
BS. We were doing it long before the Domers.

"We are ND" has been around for awhile as well.

CaribouJim
07-16-2014, 02:10 PM
BS. We were doing it long before the Domers.

Wasn't saying they were, just remember being at the ND vs. USF game (the "29 and 1" game) in '77 game and hearing it.

I believe the University of Dayton Law School tried to lay claim to it in the late '70s during a drunkfest (is that redundant?) at Timothy's.

Gato78
07-16-2014, 02:22 PM
The University of Dayton School of Law tried that at The Duck Inn, not Timothy's, just as "The Chief Justice of the United States of America", while on an alcohol and qualude binge, was using himself as a human bowling ball on a game of shuffle bowling. At that same time, the Big Man interrupted the cheer by calling for the bartender yelling "nurse, nurse" and raising his empty glass. From there, it entirely degenerated. It pisses me off how these stories get so screwed up over the years. Apparently, it never caught on at Dayton.

CaribouJim
07-16-2014, 02:31 PM
The University of Dayton School of Law tried that at The Duck Inn, not Timothy's, just as "The Chief Justice of the United States of America", while on an alcohol and Quaalude binge, was using himself as a human bowling ball on a game of shuffle bowling. At that same time, the Big Man interrupted the cheer by calling for the bartender yelling "nurse, nurse" and raising his empty glass. From there, it entirely degenerated. It pisses me off how these stories get so screwed up over the years. Apparently, it never caught on at Dayton.

Got very intimate with Timothy's (the bar, not a person) the first weekend in May. Not familiar with The Duck Inn - will have to get a scouting report from my niece on that establishment. In any event, I miss those Quaalude binge-ing days.

IWB
07-16-2014, 03:03 PM
just as "The Chief Justice of the United States of America", while on an alcohol and qualude binge, was using himself as a human bowling ball on a game of shuffle bowling. At that same time, the Big Man interrupted the cheer by calling for the bartender yelling "nurse, nurse" and raising his empty glass.

Knowing those involved - no doubt in my mind that this is 100% true

MUAlphaBangura
07-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Got very intimate with Timothy's (the bar, not a person) the first weekend in May. Not familiar with The Duck Inn - will have to get a scouting report from my niece on that establishment. In any event, I miss those Quaalude binge-ing days.

Hmmmmmm??? Interesting that you felt the need to point out Timothy "the bar, not a person". :cool:

MinnesotaJeb
07-16-2014, 08:36 PM
I am not as old as some on this board, but I remember it from Marquette from back when Gato was there in mid 70s and it was always at Marquette High in my memory - Gato - did MUHS not use it when you were there?

My first recollection of "We are Marquette" was at MUHS. I was certain MU got it from the High School. I taught there in both the mid-60s and mid-70s, so I'm not sure whether it was in use already back in the 60s. Murff would know, if he can remember.

That along with, "Progress, progress, perambulate over the turf!"

Nukem2
07-16-2014, 08:50 PM
My first recollection of "We are Marquette" was at MUHS. I was certain MU got it from the High School. I taught there in both the mid-60s and mid-70s, so I'm not sure whether it was in use already back in the 60s. Murff would know, if he can remember.

I graduated from MUHS in 1964. Cheers were all about "Toppers" at that point.

ValiantSailor
07-16-2014, 09:27 PM
I graduated from MUHS in 1964. Cheers were all about "Toppers" at that point.

Same year. I lived in SoCal. Attended MU from 64-68; went to every home BB game in those years unless I was home for Christmas. We never had a "We Are ..." cheer. As I said earlier, I heard the chant while watching a USC game on TV and I tried to use it while sitting in the MU section of our first NCAA game against Bowling Green. Whenever the chant started at Marquette, it would have been after the '67-'68 season.

VS

IWB
07-17-2014, 12:37 AM

That was right in line with "Repel them, repel them, make them relinquish the ball!"

wiscwarrior
07-17-2014, 07:42 AM
That was right in line with "Repel them, repel them, make them relinquish the ball!"

Must have been a Jesuit thing. We used that at Brophy Prep in Phoenix around the same time...

Phantom Warrior
07-17-2014, 08:01 AM
No, we used it at Whitefish Bay when I was in high school, and that was in the early 60s.

The most insulting "cheer" I ever heard was by students at a prestigious private school in the area. If their team was losing (football or basketball) some students would chant near the end of the game, "That's all right. That's o.k. You're going to work for us some day." Eventually the administration clamped down on the chant.

IWB
07-17-2014, 08:46 AM
That was used at MUHS too. The most insulting one I ever heard was in hoops towards an opponents star player....
Mark Moore - Mark Moore - What's your SAT score?

Goose85
07-17-2014, 09:02 AM
No, we used it at Whitefish Bay when I was in high school, and that was in the early 60s.

The most insulting "cheer" I ever heard was by students at a prestigious private school in the area. If their team was losing (football or basketball) some students would chant near the end of the game, "That's all right. That's o.k. You're going to work for us some day." Eventually the administration clamped down on the chant.

While I was there that cheer was usually employed after the opposing team had some used some type of homo high cheer (which happened at almost every game - people weren't so politically correct back then), so at MUHS it was generally used in retaliation.

IWB
07-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Yes indeed - that one was thrown at us at every single game. H-O-M-O Homo High.

TheSultan
07-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Yes indeed - that one was thrown at us at every single game. H-O-M-O Homo High.

My MU classmates from MUHS wore that nickname like a badge of pride. (So to speak...)