PDA

View Full Version : OT: Lebron

Goose85
07-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Seeing as Lebron James plays with D Wade, maybe it isn't so off topic afterall.

Lebron met with Miami yesterday and didn't commit.

So here is the question.

Where will Lebron be next year, Miami, Cleveland, or other?

Despite wanting Wade to be on a great team, I'm pulling for Lebron back to Cleveland.

MU/Panther
07-10-2014, 03:33 PM
The Bucks!

Goose85
07-10-2014, 03:50 PM
The Bucks!

With Giannis and Parker Lebron is not really at a position of need (following Blazer logic from the 80's).

CaribouJim
07-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Looking more like Cleveland.

dubs98
07-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Cleveland. think it would be known by now if he was heading back to Miami. bosh getting his ducks in a row to head to the rockets if LeBron bolts I think speaks volumes. am good with Miami or Cleveland, but please don't head to LA or NY. Don't think it would happen, but I may puke if he does.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
07-11-2014, 05:38 AM
At the moment (and these Twitter moments are fragile things) it sounds like Lebron to Cleveland and Carmelo to Chicago.

pbiflyer
07-11-2014, 07:42 AM
At the moment (and these Twitter moments are fragile things) it sounds like Lebron to Cleveland and Carmelo to Chicago.

If I were Dwyane, I would be pissed. He opted out of a 2 year $42m deal just so they could rework their contracts to play together again. I really doubt Dwyane is going to Cleveland.
Hope it all works out for him.

TheSultan
07-11-2014, 08:27 AM
If I were Dwyane, I would be pissed. He opted out of a 2 year $42m deal just so they could rework their contracts to play together again. I really doubt Dwyane is going to Cleveland.
Hope it all works out for him.

I'm sure he had a handshake agreement with the Heat. My guess is that he gets the same money, but over three or four years.

MUMac
07-11-2014, 08:50 AM
I cannot see LeBron sticking it to Cleveland a second time. He still has his home there and there is a watch outside his house. I believe he goes back to Cleveland.

TheSultan
07-11-2014, 09:02 AM
I cannot see LeBron sticking it to Cleveland a second time. He still has his home there and there is a watch outside his house. I believe he goes back to Cleveland.

There is some talk that he wants to stick it to Gilbert for the letter bashing Lebron that was still on the Cavs web-site until last week.

EDIT: http://deadspin.com/dear-hero-dan-gilberts-comic-sans-letter-edited-f-1601716726/1603511225/+barryap

But who knows? He's headed off to Brazil for the WC final.

MUMac
07-11-2014, 09:09 AM
There is some talk that he wants to stick it to Gilbert for the letter bashing Lebron that was still on the Cavs web-site until last week.

EDIT: http://deadspin.com/dear-hero-dan-gilberts-comic-sans-letter-edited-f-1601716726/1603511225/+barryap

But who knows? He's headed off to Brazil for the WC final.

For the sake of my sister and her family, I hope that is not his intent. They live about a half block from his compound. The last time, it was a zoo.

CaribouJim
07-11-2014, 09:49 AM
For the sake of my sister and her family, I hope that is not his intent. They live about a half block from his compound. The last time, it was a zoo.

Looked like it was a zoo yesterday afternoon/early evening - cops had to come out.

CaribouJim
07-11-2014, 09:54 AM

From the buzz here in Chicago, the Melo to the Bulls scenario has been in the rear view mirror for a few days now, although the Bulls would be the best fit for him as far as winning in the East IMO.

Melo has never taken anything less than the max - don't see him doing that now.

Markedman
07-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Lebron back to the Cavs
http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

CaribouJim
07-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Watching ESPN right now breaking the S.I. story. Now things should move quickly with the other F.A.'s.

TheSultan
07-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Rumors now that Wiggins will be traded to Minnesota for Kevin Love.

Goose85
07-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Good to see. Nice young group with Irving and Wiggins added to LeBron. I'm sure others will follow.

Next Bosh will head to Houston. What about D Wade?

Goose85
07-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Wow, that would be interesting. Probably a good move for both too.

CaribouJim
07-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Saw that - he didn't include Wiggins in his SI announcement - if they did get Love on board they would be more than solid choice for the East and not an outrageous pick to win it all.

CaribouJim
07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
If Bosh goes to Houston and somehow Melo goes to the Bulls that could make things ultra-interesting next year.

AbovetheRim
07-11-2014, 12:05 PM
The NBA is boring, right Frank Kaminski? ;)

MUMac
07-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Looked like it was a zoo yesterday afternoon/early evening - cops had to come out.

Yes, I saw that. Heard from one of my nieces, but not my sister. Saw their house on an areal view.

mufan2003
07-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Cleveland looks bad in this. Sure, everyone would love LeBron on their team, but from the Dan Gilbert letter saying Cleveland would win a championship before Miami would. Burning LeBron jerseys when he left for Miami, all the hate. Tearing down billboards. Now they love him again. Cleveland just comes across as a jilted prostitute who is in good again with her pimp.

TheSultan
07-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Cleveland looks bad in this. Sure, everyone would love LeBron on their team, but from the Dan Gilbert letter saying Cleveland would win a championship before Miami would. Burning LeBron jerseys when he left for Miami, all the hate. Tearing down billboards. Now they love him again. Cleveland just comes across as a jilted prostitute who is in good again with her pimp.

And when Brett Favre returns to Green Bay to get his number retired, the fans will give him a long ovation.

Such is the nature of sports.

kneelb4zerg
07-11-2014, 12:47 PM

My gosh, that is a cynical way of looking at things. Did you read LeBron's letter? He framed it perfectly. Why should he hold a grudge?

MUMac
07-11-2014, 12:48 PM
And when Brett Favre returns to Green Bay to get his number retired, the fans will give him a long ovation.

Such is the nature of sports.

And if Buzz or TC come back to coach MU again, all will be forgiven. Cleveland doesn't look bad in this at all. They look like a typical rabid fanbase. Disagree with '03's comment completely.

mufan2003
07-11-2014, 12:58 PM
My gosh, that is a cynical way of looking at things. Did you read LeBron's letter? He framed it perfectly. Why should he hold a grudge?

A little strong, I agree (some humor that probably was a bit distasteful). I have not read LeBron's letter, but understand he said it is more about basketball and it is about going home. Cleveland would have looked better if they had not disparaged him so much when he left. They hated him so much and now they love him so much.

Favre was a little different, Favre chose to retire. Then through OTA's Rodgers was groomed as the starter. Favre decided to come back at the last possible second, catching the Packers off-guard, just as training camp started and the Packers said "too late." That is when the Packers said if you want to still play, we are going to trade you. If Ted Thompson and McCarthy would have had him back, Favre would never have left the Packers. I was in the Rodgers camp as I believed Aaron had earned the right in the offseason and Favre could not just walk back in on the eve of training camp as some sort of hero without being invlolved in the offseason work.

Goose85
07-11-2014, 01:08 PM
The Cleveland fans will forgive and forget very quickly because the city hasn't had a championship since 1964. Edit - I guess going back to 964 would be a drought of biblical proportions.

Browns are one of four teams to have never played in a Superbowl (Detroit / Jax / Houston / Cleveland). The Browns did will NFL championships, the last of which was 1964. The first Superbowl was 1967.

The Cavs only trip to the NBA championship was with Lebron in 2007 and they lost.

The Indians last won the World Series in 1948.

You have to be over 50 to have been around when Cleveland last won a title. Yep, if I was from Cleveland all would be forgotten for Lebron, and I'd welcome him back too.

MUMac
07-11-2014, 01:20 PM
The Cleveland fans will forgive and forget very quickly because the city hasn't had a championship since 964.

Browns are one of four teams to have never played in a Superbowl (Detroit / Jax / Houston / Cleveland). The Browns did will NFL championships, the last of which was 1964. The first Superbowl was 1967.

The Cavs only trip to the NBA championship was with Lebron in 2007 and they lost.

The Indians last won the World Series in 1948.

You have to be over 50 to have been around when Cleveland last won a title. Yep, if I was from Cleveland all would be forgotten for Lebron, and I'd welcome him back too.

Of course they were known as the Cleveland Erie's back then. Each team took on the name of the tribe of that territory. There wasn't as much backlash about the knicknames being racist back then and the tomahawk chants took on a different meaning. I think the games back then were more life and death to the populace than it is now ...

TheSultan
07-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Favre was a little different, Favre chose to retire. Then through OTA's Rodgers was groomed as the starter. Favre decided to come back at the last possible second, catching the Packers off-guard, just as training camp started and the Packers said "too late." That is when the Packers said if you want to still play, we are going to trade you. If Ted Thompson and McCarthy would have had him back, Favre would never have left the Packers. I was in the Rodgers camp as I believed Aaron had earned the right in the offseason and Favre could not just walk back in on the eve of training camp as some sort of hero without being invlolved in the offseason work.

Well of course you are forgetting the whole flying back to Green Bay during a pre-season game (scrimmage?) to force the Packer's hand. Oh and the interview with Greta van Susteren.

But the point is that a former player who was once booed off the field, can be "re-loved" by a fanbase at a later time. It happens. Cleveland is no different.

CaribouJim
07-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Of course they were known as the Cleveland Erie's back then. Each team took on the name of the tribe of that territory. There wasn't as much backlash about the knicknames being racist back then and the tomahawk chants took on a different meaning. I think the games back then were more life and death to the populace than it is now ...

...and I believe Vin Skully started his career announcing for the Iroquois Nation lacrosse franchise that year as well.

TheSultan
07-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Joel Embiid wins Twitter today...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/joel-embiid-laments-his-unsuccessful-recruitment-of-lebron-james--zings-drake--remains-very-good-at-twitter-180915739.html

CaribouJim
07-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Joel Embiid wins Twitter today...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/joel-embiid-laments-his-unsuccessful-recruitment-of-lebron-james--zings-drake--remains-very-good-at-twitter-180915739.html

I heard him interviewed shortly after the draft on Dan Patrick's radio show - he was hysterical. His voice sounds kind of like Hakeem's.

MUMac
07-11-2014, 05:01 PM
I heard him interviewed shortly after the draft on Dan Patrick's radio show - he was hysterical. His voice sounds kind of like Hakeem's.

My daughter said he was a really good guy and was pretty funny. I always told her to tell him that he should have gone to MU. ;)

warriorfan4life
07-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Really hoping that LeBron wins a title in Cleveland. Agree with SI media guy Richard Deitsch that would be a top 10 all-time story in American sports.

07-11-2014, 07:20 PM
From the buzz here in Chicago, the Melo to the Bulls scenario has been in the rear view mirror for a few days now, although the Bulls would be the best fit for him as far as winning in the East IMO.

Melo has never taken anything less than the max - don't see him doing that now.

I thought so up until the past couple days. The Knicks thought they had a deal done Monday, then they didn't. They thought they had a deal done Wednesday, then they didn't. Sounds like 'Melo might really want a title and is realizing New York isn't the place for that.

pbiflyer
07-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Really hoping that LeBron wins a title in Cleveland. Agree with SI media guy Richard Deitsch that would be a top 10 all-time story in American sports.

Dan "D-bag" Gilbert doesn't deserve a title. He is a classless individual in the category of Donald Sterling.

CaribouJim
07-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Dan "D-bag" Gilbert doesn't deserve a title. He is a classless individual in the category of Donald Sterling.

He can be a prick, but nowhere in the neighborhood of Sterling. Sterling is in a class by himself.

Don't forget that Gilbert has been pretty involved in trying to get Detroit back on its feet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/13/magazine/the-post-post-apocalyptic-detroit.html?_r=0

AbovetheRim
07-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Based on what? I'd think about that long and hard if I were you before responding. When you bring that name up, there had better have been Holocaust type offenses to mankind in his past.

mufan2003
07-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Well of course you are forgetting the whole flying back to Green Bay during a pre-season game (scrimmage?) to force the Packer's hand. Oh and the interview with Greta van Susteren.

But the point is that a former player who was once booed off the field, can be "re-loved" by a fanbase at a later time. It happens. Cleveland is no different.

That was the family night scrimmage which is during the first 2 weeks of training camp.

Cleveland is different. Cleveland desperately wanted him to stay, LeBron chose Miami. Favre wanted to come back to Green Bay after retiring for a few months, football personnel said "no, we are trading you."

mufan2003
07-11-2014, 08:18 PM

Exactly. I could not care less about Cleveland sports. I am amazed at how many fans outside Cleveland are now pulling for the Cavs. Gilbert's letter was pretty nasty and personal back in 2010. He threw quite a tantrum. I'll be rooting against Cleveland.

TheSultan
07-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Exactly. I could not care less about Cleveland sports. I am amazed at how many fans outside Cleveland are now pulling for the Cavs. Gilbert's letter was pretty nasty and personal back in 2010. He threw quite a tantrum. I'll be rooting against Cleveland.

He admitted he made a mistake....as did James. Both have forgiven each other. Why should it against either of them?

warriorfan4life
07-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Say Diamond Stone is drafted by the Bucks, becomes one of the stars of the NBA, and then goes on national television to let the world he is taking his talents to another team. I think Bucks fans would be plenty jilted and unleash their frustrations at Stone.

Four years later, Stone is more mature and decides to come back to Milwaukee to complete unfinished business. I would guess that most neutrals would root for Stone to win a title in his hometown.

As far as owners go, I have a news flash for people. I'd guess that 98% of them are huge douchebags who have done some deplorable things to gain their wealth. Not all of them are Magic Johnson and have worked hard and fair to become wealthy (and frankly, Magic is more of a figurehead of the Guggenheim group).

CaribouJim
07-11-2014, 09:28 PM
I thought so up until the past couple days. The Knicks thought they had a deal done Monday, then they didn't. They thought they had a deal done Wednesday, then they didn't. Sounds like 'Melo might really want a title and is realizing New York isn't the place for that.

Actually there is an angle that says Melo will make substantially more from his Nike sneaker contract playing for the Bulls. Don't know what metrics are being used though - maybe assumed incremental playoff appearances playing for the Bulls? In any event, does that make enough of a dent in the $52 million or so discrepancy over the life of the contract if he doesn't go for the max? It certainly would be interesting if he did land with the Bulls.

pbiflyer
07-11-2014, 10:32 PM
He admitted he made a mistake....as did James. Both have forgiven each other. Why should it against either of them?

Because it took him 4 years to admit it and only because there was something to be had. Would he have forgave him if Lebron stayed in Miami? I think not. So it wasn't a real admission, just one of convenience.

07-11-2014, 11:54 PM
As far as sneaker revenue, I'm sure red and black sells far better than blue and orange :D

The question for Carmelo is if he wants to chase a check or a championship. New York is a lot further away from the latter even if Rose never gets back to his old self. As nice as that Rose deal looked at the time, it sure is the albatross around the Bulls' neck now.

kneelb4zerg
07-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Because it took him 4 years to admit it and only because there was something to be had. Would he have forgave him if Lebron stayed in Miami? I think not. So it wasn't a real admission, just one of convenience.

Do you want to enjoy sports or not? Who gives a flying f about a team owner. When your favorite team wins a title are you celebrating for the billionaire d-bag signing the checks? Jeez.

MUAlphaBangura
07-12-2014, 06:49 AM

Agree. When Gilbert's bottle was tipped over, what came out was a classless embarrassment. Don't give a crap that he apologized. His character was revealed. Nothing against any player on Cleveland at all, but I will never root for them because of their D-bag owner. He does not deserve a title.

MUMac
07-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Agree. When Gilbert's bottle was tipped over, what came out was a classless embarrassment. Don't give a crap that he apologized. His character was revealed. Nothing against any player on Cleveland at all, but I will never root for them because of their D-bag owner. He does not deserve a title.

You guys are killing me. If I pulled against any team with a D-bag owner, all that is left is the Packers.

pbiflyer
07-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Do you want to enjoy sports or not? Who gives a flying f about a team owner. When your favorite team wins a title are you celebrating for the billionaire d-bag signing the checks? Jeez.

So, you don't cheer against Kentucky because of calipari? Against WVU because of Huggins?
Jeez.

07-12-2014, 10:04 AM
You guys are killing me. If I pulled against any team with a D-bag owner, all that is left is the Packers.

Yeah, because they don't have A d-bag owner, they have THOUSANDS of D-bag owners! :D [/tooeasy]

TheSultan
07-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Well I try not to judge the motives of other people's apologies. If it's good enough for Lebron, why should I care?

TheSultan
07-12-2014, 11:07 AM

"Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.” - Luke 17: 3-4

mufan2003
07-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Nobody is saying Dan Gilbert is a war criminal or on the same level as Donald Sterling. That being said, it is like rooting against Kentucky because of Calipari or having Bo Ryan get on your nerves. This thread is basically people saying why they will cheer for or cheer against the Cavs. I am in the "cheering against the Cavs" camp for various reasons:

(1) As pointed out by pbiflyer, Gilbert only apologized for the scathing letter because LeBron wanted to come back. The letter was posted on the Cavs website and taken down just this week. Pat Riley released a statement yesterday thanking LeBron and saying nobody can fault a guy for going home. Riley, internally, was likely upset like Gilbert was in 2010. However, Riley took the high road.

(2) The Cavs fans are just pathetic. In 2010, it was as if life would end for that city. "How will we move on!" "Our King has left us!"Get a grip Cleveland. Marquette had Tom Crean and Buzz Williams leave, 2 coaches highly admired when they left, but Marquette is bigger than any 1 person and the fans quickly move on and look to bigger and better things. Not that Crean or Buzz were on the same level as LeBron, but the point stands. That is part of it for me, the Cleveland fan base show themselves to be a bunch of wimps.

(3) While I do not doubt LeBron truly admires his hometown state and the team that drafted him.....that all existed in 2010 when he left. LeBron said this was about more than basketball. I think it has a lot to do with basketball. Cleveland now has some young, upcoming talent (Kyrie Irving and Andrew Wiggins). Miami has a 32 year-old hall of famer in D Wade, but a D Wade with bad knees and a questionable remaining future in basketball. This is about LeBron and basketball, as much as he would like to point to everything else.

(4) As a Wade and Miami fan since Wade was drafted in 2003, it was annoying how LeBron and Bosh were sort of ridiculed for joining Wade in 2010. LeBron was criticized for having to join an already NBA champion to get a ring. Now, the national media (ESPN) is in love with this story. ESPN wants fans to get behind LeBron and Cleveland. I don't get it, no thanks ESPN.

TheSultan
07-12-2014, 01:51 PM
1. The letter was off the site years ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dan-gilbert-says-cavs-removed--letter--from-team-website-years-ago-011753257.html

2. Many fanbases would do the same thing.

3. Perhaps...but lots of athletes do the same thing.

4. Don't watch ESPN. It's not that hard.

mufan2003
07-12-2014, 02:19 PM
1. The letter was off the site years ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dan-gilbert-says-cavs-removed--letter--from-team-website-years-ago-011753257.html

2. Many fanbases would do the same thing.

3. Perhaps...but lots of athletes do the same thing.

4. Don't watch ESPN. It's not that hard.

(1) There was a remnant link found on the NBA website that was taken down this week. The point remains he wrote what he wrote which is pathetic.

(2) Your opinion, not a fact. I disagree.

(3) 2010, it was because he could not win in Cleveland. 2014, because he is concerned he will not be able to win in Miami. Just be upfront about it.

(4) ESPN was an example, they are at the forefront, but many other sources embracing and cheering LeBron back to Cleveland. The same way there seemed to be criticism of the big 3 teaming up in 2010. There will be plenty of people not cheering for LeBron and Cleveland.

Nukem2
07-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Yeah, because they don't have A d-bag owner, they have THOUSANDS of D-bag owners! :D [/tooeasy]
Hey, are you calling me a D-bag owner...... :)

MUMac
07-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Hey, are you calling me a D-bag owner...... :)

I think he is and he is also saying that is why he wants the Packers to lose ...

MUAlphaBangura
07-12-2014, 05:36 PM
"Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.” - Luke 17: 3-4

"Me forgiving him doesn't make him any less of a D-bag." MUAlpha 1.

pbiflyer
07-12-2014, 09:37 PM
"Me forgiving him doesn't make him any less of a D-bag." MUAlpha 1.

I am stealing that quote, but will give you credit!