PDA

View Full Version : Heldt & Brian Butch

Phantom Warrior
07-05-2014, 09:02 AM
http://www.postcrescent.com/story/sports/2014/07/04/butch-helping-heldt/12235181/

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-05-2014, 09:15 AM
That's huge for Matt, if he can post up and step out id love it... I'd also be ecstatic if he could have the same type of senior year as Brian Butch

TedBaxter
07-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Nice story.

It remains to be seen, but if Marquette can land Henry Ellenson, I'd love for Heldt to take a redshirt year as MU would have Taylor, Fischer and Ellenson at the two inside positions and it would allow Heldt to develop further without losing a year of eligibility. That's something Brian Butch could support as well since he redshirted at UW as a freshman.

JohnnyRev
07-05-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm thrilled that Heldt is being taught in scrimmage conditions by a big pro to be tougher and smarter against other bigs. This can only help MU when Heldt arrives. Very good of Brian to take Matt under his wing this way.

TedBaxter
07-05-2014, 10:30 AM
I think former UW center Dave Mader has had an influence on Matt Heldt also, but I don't know any specifics and maybe I'm imagining things.

MUMac
07-05-2014, 10:32 AM
I think former UW center Dave Mader has had an influence on Matt Heldt also, but I don't know any specifics and maybe I'm imagining things.

Is that why he wasn't really considering UW?

Markedman
07-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Nice story.

It remains to be seen, but if Marquette can land Henry Ellenson, I'd love for Heldt to take a redshirt year as MU would have Taylor, Fischer and Ellenson at the two inside positions and it would allow Heldt to develop further without losing a year of eligibility. That's something Brian Butch could support as well since he redshirted at UW as a freshman.

I agree ....if we land Ellenson a redshirt year for Heldt would be ideal. Levin will also be able to play the 4 as can Burton in a pinch so we would be covered. Dpending on how things go this year with Duane, Dawson and Cohen I could also see a scenario where Nick redshirts as well which would be great for balancing the classes.

Nukem2
07-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Would redshirting Matt and Nick help balance the classes?
Sr. - Steve Taylor
Jr. - Deonte Burton, Jajuan Johnson, John Dawson, Wally Ellenson, Luke Fischer
So. - Duane Wilson (RS), Sandy Cohen, Gabe Levin (RS)
Fr - Nick Noskowiak, Matt Heldt, Henry Ellenson (hypothetical), Cheatham/Dlilard/etal

That would be 3 sophs and 5 frosh next year /15-16 assuming that last scholie is used, leaving 5 for the succeeding 2 classes. So, redshirting really helps on a limited basis relative to balancing classes. Unless there is a real need for physical and/or skill development, I would not ask both to redshirt. Maybe one, but not both.

As it is, there is a Junior class of 5 for 15-16. Having balanced classes sounds nice, but is it really attainable? Buzz, Tony and Aki made a big deal about balancing classes early in Buzz's regime. Never really happened with all the transfers.

Markedman
07-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Nick would then be 2 years behind Duane and 3 behind Dawson which is better spacing at point guard. As of right now we only have 1 slot in 2016....redshirting 1 or 2 players would give us 2 or 3 in that class which is better then 4 in 2015 and 1 in 2016.

I'm not saying it will happen but no reason for Nick to burn a year if Dawson, Duane, and cohen are going to get all the minutes at the point in 2015.

Nukem2
07-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Nick would then be 2 years behind Duane and 3 behind Dawson which is better spacing at point guard. As of right now we only have 1 slot in 2016....redshirting 1 or 2 players would give us 2 or 3 in that class which is better then 4 in 2015 and 1 in 2016.

I'm not saying it will happen but no reason for Nick to burn a year if Dawson, Duane, and cohen are going to get all the minutes at the point in 2015.Seriously doubt that Sandy will be playing at PG. Sandy did not play PG at Seymour HS and I really don't see him having PG skills from the games I saw. Seymour coach let him do a lot of one-one-one stuff, but not PG. More of a 2/3 guy.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
07-06-2014, 05:48 AM
Nick redshirting there would seem ideal if there's no additional roster turnover. Of course in a fluid recruiting environment, you expect more turnover than just graduation, but with only 1 scholarship available in 2016 you don't want to feel you need a point guard.

For years, I felt I was always looking at 2014 as our year to shine. Davante, Jamil, and Vander as seniors, an impact recruiting class with kids ready to contribute...now I feel like I'm (hopefully) looking at 2016-17. If everyone stays, Burton, Jajuan, Dawson, and Fischer as seniors, point guard depth with Duane Wilson, a deep bench, and a potential sophomore star in Ellenson seems like a perfect time for a deep run. Probably a bit too soon to start getting my hopes up for 3 years in the future, especially looking at how 2013-14 ended.