PDA

View Full Version : Wojo's first 90+ Days

Goose85
07-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Wojo has been on the job less than 100 days, and has yet to coach a college game. Those details don't seem to have affected his ability to land the players he wants, and put himself in very good position for others.

Cohen recommits to Wojo and MU.
Carlino, Levin, and Wally E have all decided to transfer to MU without seeing a single Wojo coached game film.
Noskowiak and Heldt have signed on too. I guess they think he and his staff can develop guards and big guys.

Signs are good with Wally transferring to MU, that brother Henry might join him.

Wojo sure has managed to make his mark in less than 100 days.
If he can follow up this early recruiting success with some coaching ability, we MU fans might be in for a fun ride.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-02-2014, 04:05 PM
I think he has come out of the gates better than anyone could expect... Looking like another great hire by Cords and company... Obviously a lot has yet to be decided when it comes to his coaching ability, but recruiting wise it would appear he has what it takes. I think for most new coaches you can't fully judge how they will be until after the first two or three full years. This year Wojo will be doing it with mostly Buzz's players and a team that has some big holes inside so I think he will get a pass for year 1, but year 2 he should have a pretty solid team with tons of talent. I think this year has potential to sneak into the tournament as a high seed, perhaps even a 12 seed, but 2015-2016 I think expectations can be ratcheted way up.

Regardless though I'm not sure you could have scripted a better first 90 days, he has been impressive in every area... A++

The Reptile
07-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Wojo has been better than expected - and I was expecting big things from him to begin with.

warriorfan4life
07-02-2014, 07:40 PM
I am highly impressed with his ability to lock in on players and then land them. Should Wojo land Henry Ellenson and Cheatham, he will have landed all of his top targets in 2015 and very quickly restocked the frontcourt while also bringing in quality replacements for our departing backcourt players (De. Wilson, Carlino, Mayo, and a switchable in Juan).

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
07-06-2014, 06:04 AM
The big question is still the one that has been asked about Marquette coaches for years. Can he land the stud recruits? It looks like Ellenson will be the first big test; I suppose Stone too but it really feels like that ship has sailed with the Malik Newman package. Guys like Shumpert, Snaer, Dunn, Embiid, and others have been players we swung and missed on. Granted, you will always swing and miss sometimes on those big stars, but when you really invest the program in a player you need to win some of those battles. That's the difference between having a good program and a great one.

I thought it was funny seeing Badger fans rag on Wojo for taking Wally E. They felt it was an underhanded way to try to lure his brother. When it comes to landing that first big recruit, I think just about whatever you have to do. Wally was a HM recruit, went to a HM school, and had other HM interest from TAMU, if no one else based on reports. If it leads to landing Henry as well, all the better. If you aren't Duke or Kentucky, you won't have 5-star kids banging down your door. Even Wisconsin has swung and missed more than they've hit on local 5-stars. The key is always getting that first one and hoping he succeeds so you have someone to point to in the future. If it takes giving Wally a scholarship for a couple years, I can live with that.

Nukem2
07-06-2014, 11:31 AM
The big question is still the one that has been asked about Marquette coaches for years. Can he land the stud recruits? It looks like Ellenson will be the first big test; I suppose Stone too but it really feels like that ship has sailed with the Malik Newman package. Guys like Shumpert, Snaer, Dunn, Embiid, and others have been players we swung and missed on. Granted, you will always swing and miss sometimes on those big stars, but when you really invest the program in a player you need to win some of those battles. That's the difference between having a good program and a great one.

I thought it was funny seeing Badger fans rag on Wojo for taking Wally E. They felt it was an underhanded way to try to lure his brother. When it comes to landing that first big recruit, I think just about whatever you have to do. Wally was a HM recruit, went to a HM school, and had other HM interest from TAMU, if no one else based on reports. If it leads to landing Henry as well, all the better. If you aren't Duke or Kentucky, you won't have 5-star kids banging down your door. Even Wisconsin has swung and missed more than they've hit on local 5-stars. The key is always getting that first one and hoping he succeeds so you have someone to point to in the future. If it takes giving Wally a scholarship for a couple years, I can live with that.Agree with your thoughts here. Though, I would say that the Embiid situation was a shot in the dark rather than a swing and a miss and that the kid probably used that visit more as a way to see his mentor Mbah a Moute in person? Never felt any real vibes on that one.

07-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Buzz was traveling at least weekly down to Florida to see Embiid. While it was a short recruitment, I really got the sense that he went all-in on Embiid maybe harder than any other recruit he tried to land. Buzz was there before Joel completely blew up, and once word started getting around he was constantly on his doorstep.

Of all the high-profile misses Buzz had, Embiid going elsewhere was the one that surprised me most.

Nukem2
07-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Buzz was traveling at least weekly down to Florida to see Embiid. While it was a short recruitment, I really got the sense that he went all-in on Embiid maybe harder than any other recruit he tried to land. Buzz was there before Joel completely blew up, and once word started getting around he was constantly on his doorstep.

Of all the high-profile misses Buzz had, Embiid going elsewhere was the one that surprised me most.I suspect Buzz was wasting his time. Mbah a Moute steered Embiid to the blue bloods. I did not feel Buzz really ever had a chance once his recruitment opened up.

MUMac
07-06-2014, 07:12 PM
I suspect Buzz was wasting his time. Mbah a Moute steered Embiid to the blue bloods. I did not feel Buzz really ever had a chance once his recruitment opened up.

That is not how I remember it. Embid, I believe, really liked buzz and MU. Moute steered him to Kansas so he would not be in the same town as Moute. I believe you are mistaken and MU was in it until the end. I never read anything at the time that mirrored your version.

kneelb4zerg
07-06-2014, 07:18 PM
That is not how I remember it. Embid, I believe, really liked buzz and MU. Moute steered him to Kansas so he would not be in the same town as Moute. I believe you are mistaken and MU was in it until the end. I never read anything at the time that mirrored your version.

Paint Touches' fault.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-06-2014, 07:23 PM

I thought that the story had more to do with Moute hating Milwaukee and wanting out himself and so he told Embiid how much he didn't like MKE which obviously swayed his choice. Prior to that we were definitely in consideration and Buzz definitely wasn't wasting his time.

Nukem2
07-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Just my take. Think that Moute was in control and Buzz was spinning his wheels. Yeah, the kid may have loved Buzz, but............just reality. In the end, it was Kansas and Florida. MU was used. Sorry for being Murff-like and reading between the lines, but that's what probably happened. Lots of wishful thinking on our end?

07-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Just my take. Think that Moute was in control and Buzz was spinning his wheels. Yeah, the kid may have loved Buzz, but............just reality. In the end, it was Kansas and Florida. MU was used. Sorry for being Murff-like and reading between the lines, but that's what probably happened. Lots of wishful thinking on our end?

Not at all, certainly not if you trust the people that post on this site. Really seemed like it was down to Marquette and Kansas, and after Mbah a Moute voiced his thoughts, which I'm sure we all believed would go in our favor and instead went directly against us, we no longer had a chance.

Nukem2
07-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Not at all, certainly not if you trust the people that post on this site. Really seemed like it was down to Marquette and Kansas, and after Mbah a Moute voiced his thoughts, which I'm sure we all believed would go in our favor and instead went directly against us, we no longer had a chance.In any event, MU was a distant finisher in that race in the end.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-07-2014, 09:55 AM
I would hardly define that as a distant finisher... But at this point does it really matter if we finished close second or distant second, or last? All the same result.

TheSultan
07-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Paint Touches' fault.

I really doubt that Paint Touches was solely at fault for Embiid not coming to MU.

TheSultan
07-08-2014, 08:46 AM

I thought it was funny seeing Badger fans rag on Wojo for taking Wally E. They felt it was an underhanded way to try to lure his brother. When it comes to landing that first big recruit, I think just about whatever you have to do. Wally was a HM recruit, went to a HM school, and had other HM interest from TAMU, if no one else based on reports. If it leads to landing Henry as well, all the better. If you aren't Duke or Kentucky, you won't have 5-star kids banging down your door. Even Wisconsin has swung and missed more than they've hit on local 5-stars. The key is always getting that first one and hoping he succeeds so you have someone to point to in the future. If it takes giving Wally a scholarship for a couple years, I can live with that.

Also we have to see how he can coach. Game plan...making adjustment...improving players. That is all still a big unknown.

07-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Speaking of Wojo's first 90 days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8IF73QSN_w&feature=youtu.be

ge1974
07-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Speaking of Wojo's first 90 days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8IF73QSN_w&feature=youtu.be

I am so happy to have Wojo and his staff as our coaches. Although the search was somewhat painful for MU fans for a couple of weeks, I think we ended up with he very best guy and right fit for our program. Go get 'em on the recruiting trails, Wojo!

IWB
07-16-2014, 03:25 PM

Mac is very close. This was no swing in the dark, MU was the leader until.....

pbiflyer
07-16-2014, 10:03 PM

I know that Embid's guardians were very high on Marquette. They were disappointed with his choice.

BLT
07-16-2014, 11:48 PM

...the Adidas truck pulled up?

IWB
07-17-2014, 10:55 AM
No, no cash involved that I know of. And pbi - while the gaurdians loved Buzz & MU, you know their heart was with Florida.

BLT
07-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Wasn't thinking cash, but handler influence. UCLA, Luc (and even Bucks), Monteverde, Kansas all Adidas brand connections in that line. MU and Florida=Nike.

AlexJesswein
07-18-2014, 07:14 AM
Montverde is Nike

IWB
07-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Had nothing to do with money, Montverde or Adidas.

BLT
07-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Montverde is Nike

Reebok which is an Adidas brand.

http://mvasports.com/2014/07/16/koumadje-stands-out-at-reebok-breakout-classic/

BLT
07-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Had nothing to do with money, Montverde or Adidas.

Never said $. A truck is not a Brink's truck so my bad to even make that apology. Two and three I will debate are deeply related. Roberts' kid played with Embiid in Gainesville and followed Dad from UF to KU. But confused with transfer to Rock School.

Not trying to be obtuse or sweeping in assertion. Just pointing out connections. Jim knows more and can fill in with his discretion on Premium.

http://www.kuathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=19

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1891203-meet-kansas-joel-embiid-a-cameroon-native-blossoming-into-a-top-nba-prospect

AlexJesswein
07-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Reebok which is an Adidas brand.

http://mvasports.com/2014/07/16/koumadje-stands-out-at-reebok-breakout-classic/

http://sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/nike-zoom-kd-iv-montverde-academy-pe.jpg

Look at logo on Jersey
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/dailycommercial.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/7e/87e565aa-55fc-11e3-89bc-0019bb30f31a/52939205221d8.image.jpg