PDA

View Full Version : How was the BBQ?

Goose85
07-02-2014, 08:44 AM
I was not able to attend, but it looked like the weather might have been ok for the BBQ.

Anyone there that can provide some insight? Thanks

JohnnyRev
07-02-2014, 10:01 AM
The BBQ was a wonderful family event that drew more than 1300, a new record. The weather was perfect. There were multiple games for the youngsters. The food was more "Wisconsin picnic" (e.g. a brat option) than "Texas BBQ," but good. I personally was disappointed in the program (very short, from about 7 pm to about 7:15 or 20). All the coaches of all sports were introduced, but only Coach W spoke, and that very briefly. It was a nice thank you and welcome, but we got no new basketball insight from the program.

Many good chances to talk individually with athletes (e.g., men and women Bball, volleyball...) and coaches (head and assistants). Coach W was very accomodating to visiting, but when I made it over to him he was busy with a FOX channel 6 interview. I also didn't see and missed Travis Diener and his wife and kids (Homer True interviewed him for 540 ESPN radio). I met most of the new basketball recruits, men and women. Transfer and RedShirt Levin looks like a man among boys - he looks (and is) older, and built to be a force under the basket now for practice and next years for games. All the new recruits of both sexes are very personable and well-spoken. Cohen still looks skinny, and Luke Fisher is somewhat thin. Derrick is almost muscle bound and acts like a senior leader for the team members, at least off the court. Had nice talks with several team members of both teams, such as Juan and Derrick, and with several former members, Steve Novak, Chris Grimm, and older players from the Maguire teams.

I think I learned the most about our women's team. They are very excited about playing and practicing for their August trip to Italy and France. A fireball woman's assistant (didn't catch her name) was incredibly upbeat about the team and future - when I remarked about how good their recruits were (e.g., a 2 guard averaging 36 points a game in her high school season plus an incredibly accurate passing point guard who still averaged 22 points a game...), she basically said they are going to get a lot more players like that and play a very fast, aggressive, and up tempo game compared to previous years. Scott Merritt said he really enjoyed coaching the big women and he promised to whip them into strong and effective bigs.

IWB
07-02-2014, 12:43 PM
A few tidbits from the BBQ - first off, when you look at the other sports - they did a great job. There were activities for kids everywhere, not just down on one end. The first thing I saw when I walked in was a soccer demonstration with all of the soccer players in full uniform. Really stood out and was impressive to see.

Next - the new women's coach - didn't talked to her, but she sure looked good.

Travis - Funny seeing him in a serious role. Still looks like he's underage.

Most impressive thing to me? The number of former men's players in attendance. Wow - you couldn't go 10 feet without seeing former players from every era. Really a strong statement to Wojo and the MU basketball family/community.

CaribouJim
07-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Next - the new women's coach - didn't talk to her, but she sure looked good.

Can't underestimate the importance of this observation - look forward to making my own personal assessment.

milkbone
07-02-2014, 03:04 PM
https://twitter.com/FloryPhilip
.check out the pics

IWB
07-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Wojo tweeted out the one pic with a statement of over 60 MU basketball players

TheSultan
07-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Where's Murff???

TedBaxter
07-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Is that him in the white shirt and tan shorts just to the right of Derrick Wilson?

BLT
07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Is that him in the white shirt and tan shorts just to the right of Derrick Wilson?

Lower right, gold shirt with sport coat, no?

IWB
07-03-2014, 01:49 PM
I think BLT got this one.

Nukem2
07-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Yup, verified by Murff over on JDs board.

MUMac
07-03-2014, 07:56 PM

He cheated. He looked for the guy who used Listerine and hand squeezes.

Nukem2
07-03-2014, 08:28 PM

......;)

Nukem2
07-06-2014, 11:55 AM
A better picture of Murff from MU Twitter:

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/484362602441879555

In the background with yellow shirt.

sailwi
07-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Did Novak really need a name tag?

BLT
07-07-2014, 12:28 AM

It looks like he was serving up Spotted Cows to JJJ. ;)