PDA

View Full Version : The Bucks and Jason Kidd

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Has anyone else been following this situation? This reflects so poorly on both the Bucks new owners and Jason Kidd... I had high hopes that the new owners would bring the Bucks back to some sort of respectability and that we would no longer be the joke of the NBA... however this situation pretty much flushes those hopes, this is so typical of something the last regime would have done...frustrating because I felt like drafting Parker and the marketing they did around that finally generated a little bit of buzz...

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-30-2014, 08:44 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24601524/kidd-mess-shows-bucks-lasry-as-worst-kind-of-owner----the-meddling-kind

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 09:27 AM
I don't think it looks that bad on the Bucks. The owner wants his guy in.

Nukem2
06-30-2014, 09:42 AM
I don't think it looks that bad on the Bucks. The owner wants his guy in.Nah, it looks like a joke. Kidd is not worth a 1st round pick and has a lot of off-court baggage.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 09:44 AM
I never said he is worth it.

CaribouJim
06-30-2014, 09:48 AM

He has every right to do that, but I think he will regret it.

It certainly doesn't reflect well on Kidd. He looks like an a$$ IMO. The Nets take a risk on him with zero HC experience not to mention having to deal with his DWI situation along with his sometimes checkered past and he then wants total control of the Nets in his second season. Admittedly, his coaching improved as the season went on, but IMO he doesn't need anymore on his plate other than coaching. And to give up a draft pick(s) is crazy. When did he become John Wooden?

Wasn't Drew a former assistant with him as well? Nice way to kick him to the curb.

Seems like he is running away from something instead of running towards something - sound familiar?

I wonder what Jabari Parker is thinking.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-30-2014, 09:57 AM
This absolutely looks bad on the Bucks... If they wanted their own guy then fine, but why wait till after the draft and after you have press conferences with Jabari and Drew together... On top of it, why do it behind everyone's back? If you want Drew gone then fire him, don't interview behind his back and completely undermine him. Also with the rumors that Kidd wants to be a GM too, how does that make Hammond look? If this deal doesn't work out you now have a lame duck coach and GM...

CaribouJim
06-30-2014, 10:07 AM
So I guess it is official - 2 second round picks. Again, the Bucks will regret this IMO.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-30-2014, 10:09 AM
@WojYahooNBA: Here's what the Milwaukee owners had communicated to coach Larry Drew about negotiating a deal for his job w/ Jason Kidd: Nothing.

Horrible move by the Bucks... Not to mention the embarrassment that comes with it... Not a good look for the new owners to start with.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 10:10 AM
If they wanted their own guy then fine, but why wait till after the draft and after you have press conferences with Jabari and Drew together.....

That is the weird part of it at the Milwaukee Public Market.

CaribouJim
06-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Why is topic in the Marquette part. There is a Bucks forum on Brew City Ball.

Because is it a chat room if there is no one there to chat with or dialogue with? That forum has had 37 posts in 1+ year - less than 1 every 10 days.

Again, don't understand the ire when someone posts an OT topic, especially sports related and especially since it pertains to a Milwaukee team and especially since it is in the off-season. Do "OT" posts take up more bandwidth or something?

MUfan12
06-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Drew got done dirty. Hate the way they went about this much more than the move itself. Kidd carries some cred with young players, definitely more than his peers that he coached last season.

beerhere6
06-30-2014, 11:17 AM

What's the big deal? Probably the same reason you post TV listings here that aren't relevant to anything else. It's a local hoops story.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-30-2014, 11:19 AM

Very simple, don't click, don't comment... Problem solved. If you see 'OT' in the title and don't want to read non-MU content then just don't look at it. It's a very simple system, if nobody wanted to see or discuss this topic then they wouldn't comment and it would drop to the bottom of topics, irrelevant stuff has a way of weeding themselves out...

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 11:29 AM
What's the big deal? Probably the same reason you post TV listings here that aren't relevant to anything else.

It's really no big deal! The TV listings are about the Big East and Marquette and getting FS1 on it's feet, so I would say it's very relevant. I'm scared that you don't understand that.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Because is it a chat room if there is no one there to chat with or dialogue with? That forum has had 37 posts in 1+ year - less than 1 every 10 days.

Again, don't understand the ire when someone posts an OT topic, especially sports related and especially since it pertains to a Milwaukee team and especially since it is in the off-season. Do "OT" posts take up more bandwidth or something?

Make sense to get more post on, don't see why we have a Bucks Forum on Brew City Ball if we are not going to use it.

Goose85
06-30-2014, 11:31 AM
I like the OT topics, some don't. It is off season, and I do enjoy reading the thoughts of those on this board on sports topics other than MU.
A few OT per day doesn't push all the current MU threads to a second or third page, so I don't see the problem.

On to Jason Kidd - not sure he is a coach you needed to trade for, even with 2nd round picks.
Also don't like the way the new owners handled it either.

Honestly, with the need for a new arena, any topic relating to the Bucks and their future does directly impact MU.

If the Bucks were to leave, and if reports are correct that the BC will need tens of millions in repairs, would the state / BC board just tear it down? Then where does MU play? So Bucks threads do impact MU threads.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Very simple, don't click, don't comment... Problem solved. If you see 'OT' in the title and don't want to read non-MU content then just don't look at it. It's a very simple system, if nobody wanted to see or discuss this topic then they wouldn't comment and it would drop to the bottom of topics, irrelevant stuff has a way of weeding themselves out...

What are you talking about. I'm great with the topic. I'm just asking why is the Bucks Forum on Brew City Ball not being used for this. Do some have the case of the Monday's today. :rolleyes:

MUMac
06-30-2014, 11:37 AM

They can have their guy, but this looks horribly bad on the Bucks organization the way it was done and handled. No way Hammond sticks around after this was done. Can't sugar coat it, this was a really poor way to do this. Embarrassingly poor.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 11:40 AM
They can have their guy, but this looks horribly bad on the Bucks organization the way it was done and handled. No way Hammond sticks around after this was done. Can't sugar coat it, this was a really poor way to do this. Embarrassingly poor. I don't understand why they just didn't fire Drew in the first place.

MUMac
06-30-2014, 11:40 AM
I don't understand why they just didn't fire Drew in the first place.

That certainly would have been the proper way to handle it.

Goose85
06-30-2014, 11:45 AM
That certainly would have been the proper way to handle it.

I agree, and really everyone would understand. New owner wants a clean start from a coaching standpoint.

What a weird thing to do, trade for a coach without firing the current coach. And Kidd too, you want to trade for a coach I could think of plenty others before Jason Kidd.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 11:45 AM
That certainly would have been the proper way to handle it. Without question.

Nukem2
06-30-2014, 12:47 PM
I agree, and really everyone would understand. New owner wants a clean start from a coaching standpoint.

What a weird thing to do, trade for a coach without firing the current coach. And Kidd too, you want to trade for a coach I could think of plenty others before Jason Kidd. Yup.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-30-2014, 12:49 PM
@ChrisMannixSI: Bucks owners are taking a beating from other coaches, execs around the league. Nothing about this process sits right with many people.

This is why it looks bad, it's not good if everyone around you doesn't respect you...

mufan2003
06-30-2014, 01:18 PM
@ChrisMannixSI: Bucks owners are taking a beating from other coaches, execs around the league. Nothing about this process sits right with many people.

This is why it looks bad, it's not good if everyone around you doesn't respect you...

The owners should take a beating for this. Not because they would want Jason Kidd as coach, but the way they handled the process. They are owners, this is not fantasy league GM.

I liked everything the owners said and did up until this move. Herb Kohl had been criticized through the years of meddling and getting too involved in basketball decisions. I was a critic of him as well. However, Marc Lasry and Wes Edens have already trumped anything Kohl ever did. The fact that GM John Hammond, assistant GM David Morway and Dave Babcock knew nothing about this and the owners pursued this secretly on their own....not good.

Jason Kidd had plenty of talent in Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, KG and Paul Pierce and was nearly fired last season. He was a great player but the jury is out on his coaching abilities.

Nukem2
06-30-2014, 01:26 PM
2 draft picks for an unproven coach with a mottled personal history before firing the current coach. Ouch.

Goose85
06-30-2014, 01:31 PM
I liked everything the owners said and did up until this move. Herb Kohl had been criticized through the years of meddling and getting too involved in basketball decisions. I was a critic of him as well. However, Marc Lasry and Wes Edens have already trumped anything Kohl ever did.

I agree. They really just turned all the good will and positive momentum they and the Bucks had gained and flushed it.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm not so sure on that.

Gato78
06-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Let's wait to see how the Jason Kidd presser goes over before this is judged. He may pull a Jabari Parker.

Nukem2
06-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Let's wait to see how the Jason Kidd presser goes over before this is judged. He may pull a Jabari Parker.I'm sure the presser will go just fine. Does not change the awkwardness of what has happened nor the undermining of Hammonds' position.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm sure the presser will go just fine. Does not change the awkwardness of what has happened nor the undermining of Hammonds' position.

Awkwardness for whom other than Hammonds or Drew?

Nukem2
06-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Awkwardness for whom other than Hammonds or Drew?
Awkward for the owners as many, including Hunt, have already written.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 05:23 PM
I try not to read Hunt, so I don't know what he said. I'm sure the Bucks owners did what is best for the team. Even though it lacked class with Drew.

Nukem2
06-30-2014, 05:27 PM
I try not to read Hunt, so I don't know what he said. I'm sure the Bucks owners did what is best for the team. Even though it lacked class with Drew.

Kidd is agreat role model for Jabari.... :(

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 05:31 PM
There is role models in pro sports.

Nukem2
06-30-2014, 05:51 PM
There is role models in pro sports.
True. In this case, maybe Jabari will be the role model. :)

Gato78
06-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Novak just tweeted that he is happy Kidd is coming to the Bucks.

TheSultan
06-30-2014, 05:53 PM

Not only with Drew, but with Hammond as well. It just boggles my mind that owners who meddle cant figure out that, pretty much without exception, the best franchises are run by hiring people who are knowledgeable about the sport, giving them a great deal of latitude, and getting out of the way.

QuetteHoops
06-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Nobody should feel bad for Larry Drew in this situation. Stuff like this goes in everyday the business world. The NBA is no different, Larry Drew went behind the back of Mike Woodson in Atlanta to get hired there. They were friends for 22 years. Larry Drew just coached a team to a 15-67 record... Why would he ever expect to keep his job after that especially with a new ownership team. They were always going to get there guy. This is actually refreshing to me as a die hard season ticket holder... It shows to me that the owners aren't going to sit around playing for mediocrity. They are going to go for it on their terms. Milwaukee is now becoming a place where the NBA is relevant and that feels good.

TheSultan
06-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Nobody should feel bad for Larry Drew in this situation. Stuff like this goes in everyday the business world. The NBA is no different, Larry Drew went behind the back of Mike Woodson in Atlanta to get hired there. They were friends for 22 years. Larry Drew just coached a team to a 15-67 record... Why would he ever expect to keep his job after that especially with a new ownership team. They were always going to get there guy. This is actually refreshing to me as a die hard season ticket holder... It shows to me that the owners aren't going to sit around playing for mediocrity and trying to make everyone happy. Milwaukee is now becoming a place where the NBA is relevant and that feels good.

This is a typical example where people are happy for doing something for the sake of doing something.

What the owners should do is hire a basketball guy. Like the Packers did when they hired Wolf...like the Brewers did when they hired Melvin...and just stay out of the way. I don't think anyone would blame them if they fired Hammond and Drew, but it was the way they did it, and who they hired that's the problem.

MUMac
06-30-2014, 06:14 PM
This is a typical example where people are happy for doing something for the sake of doing something.

What the owners should do is hire a basketball guy. Like the Packers did when they hired Wolf...like the Brewers did when they hired Melvin...and just stay out of the way. I don't think anyone would blame them if they fired Hammond and Drew, but it was the way they did it, and who they hired that's the problem.

+ 1

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Players wanted to play for Kidd. Maybe, this opens the door for free agents.

TheSultan
06-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Players wanted to play for Kidd. Maybe, this opens the door for free agents.

Which is what this article alludes to. Look, I just think it should have been done better...but this article doesn't paint Kidd is as bad a light as initially suggested.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/grantland-exclusive-the-jason-kidd-mess-has-a-144-million-pricetag/

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Everything always can be done better for fans in coaches moving on or being fired. Rhodes, Crean, Buzz, Bielema, Yost and now Drew. Heck, even Terri Mitchell.

TheSultan
06-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Nobody should feel bad for Larry Drew in this situation. Stuff like this goes in everyday the business world. The NBA is no different, Larry Drew went behind the back of Mike Woodson in Atlanta to get hired there. They were friends for 22 years. Larry Drew just coached a team to a 15-67 record... Why would he ever expect to keep his job after that especially with a new ownership team. They were always going to get there guy. This is actually refreshing to me as a die hard season ticket holder... It shows to me that the owners aren't going to sit around playing for mediocrity. They are going to go for it on their terms. Milwaukee is now becoming a place where the NBA is relevant and that feels good.

FWIW, Wolfley agrees with you.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/new-bucks-owners-got-it-right-by-hiring-jason-kidd-b99301525z1-265253251.html

TheSultan
06-30-2014, 07:54 PM
I agree. They really just turned all the good will and positive momentum they and the Bucks had gained and flushed it.

If they win, it's not going to matter how they treated Larry Drew. The public will completely forget about it.

MU/Panther
06-30-2014, 08:01 PM
If they win, it's not going to matter how they treated Larry Drew. The public will completely forget about it.

Public will forget come Friday.

Nukem2
06-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Oh sure, but will Kidd behave? That's the crux of the matter.

CaribouJim
06-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Oh sure, but will Kidd behave? That's the crux of the matter.

History says no, but we'll see.

AbovetheRim
06-30-2014, 11:09 PM
History says no, but we'll see.

This is Jason Kidd we're talking about. HOF baller. Players know and respect him. End of story as this market didn't have that type of cache prior to his hiring. Now, Milwaukee is being taken seriously by other players. That wasn't the case under the previous regime. My only regret is that we didn't noose Hammond before hiring him. You don't move forward by standing pat. Progress.

MUMac
07-01-2014, 04:37 AM

Maybe, maybe not. They lost respect in the league. What impact will that have in the future? Don't know. Does Hammond survive? Does he resign? Who would/could they get to replace him after how this was done?

Sorry, this may have a longer term impact than Friday. I know you are good with it all. I don't agree with your acceptance at all.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-01-2014, 07:21 AM
Maybe, maybe not. They lost respect in the league. What impact will that have in the future? Don't know. Does Hammond survive? Does he resign? Who would/could they get to replace him after how this was done?

Sorry, this may have a longer term impact than Friday. I know you are good with it all. I don't agree with your acceptance at all.

I think this is spot on... This is only half about public perception, the perception of the league and players matters too.

TulsaWarrior
07-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Based on this I could see where Kidd would ask to take over the operation of the Nets or bail. He was stuck with a lot of bad decisions made by other people in the Nets front office. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/30/5857852/brooklyn-nets-financial-reports-losses-lakers-profits

Goose85
07-01-2014, 08:49 AM

I agree, but why go through the headache for Kidd?

MU/Panther
07-01-2014, 08:51 AM
I agree, but why go through the headache for Kidd? Marc Lasry doesn't view Kidd as a headache. That is his boy!

IWB
07-01-2014, 09:16 AM
If the Bucks were going to trade for a coach that was with a franchise that is in disarray, I wish they would have traded for Doc Rivers.

TheSultan
07-01-2014, 09:30 AM

If they win, none of this is going to matter. If they don't, you are right...this will have long term implications.

MUMac
07-01-2014, 10:31 AM
If they win, none of this is going to matter. If they don't, you are right...this will have long term implications.

You are right, winning cures (or hides) problems in professional sports. Who will be the GM, though? Hammond already has seen he has little power or credibility, as he was not involved. Is Hammond a lame duck? How do they move forward with this arrangement? Who would want to go there as the GM knowing that the coach was hired by the owners without the input or even knowledge of the current GM. So, you have little control with the coach, who may even have more power with the organization and owner than you. You understand that the owners will meddle. What good GM wants that?

TheSultan
07-01-2014, 10:34 AM
You are right, winning cures (or hides) problems in professional sports. Who will be the GM, though? Hammond already has seen he has little power or credibility, as he was not involved. Is Hammond a lame duck? How do they move forward with this arrangement? Who would want to go there as the GM knowing that the coach was hired by the owners without the input or even knowledge of the current GM. So, you have little control with the coach, who may even have more power with the organization and owner than you. You understand that the owners will meddle. What good GM wants that?

Those are all good questions. I guess we are going to have to see how it plays out.

MU/Panther
07-01-2014, 11:40 AM
It's a bold move, signed Greg Matzck.

TheSultan
04-28-2015, 08:42 AM
After watching the Bucks last night I just wanted to resurrect this thread. Man was I wrong about Kidd. He has really done a masterful job with this team. Hopefully the future is a bright one.

AbovetheRim
04-28-2015, 09:01 AM
Lots of whiffs in this thread. Actually found much of it very amusing in retrospect. Perhaps a JKidd "apology" thread is in order?

Goose85
04-28-2015, 09:03 AM
One thing Kidd has done really well is let the assistant coaches who may be more technical run the offense / defense. You will often see the assistants drawing up the play in a time out.

Kidd is really doing a great job with this team, and they now really are believing in themselves. One night MCW is not playing well so Bayless and Dudley play more. Last night it was MCW's time to shine.

Players like playing for Kidd it appears, which may help us land one second tier FA in the off season.

MU/Panther
04-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Glad to see I was right. ;)

Goose85
04-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Glad to see I was right. ;)

And I wasn't, but I sure do like how he has handled the team throughout the season, not just the playoffs.
I didn't think he was worth trading picks for as he had not track record. I'm happy I was off base on this one.

IWB
04-28-2015, 02:21 PM
I'll gladly admit it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkqgDoo_eZE