PDA

View Full Version : OT- Is this the best Milwaukee Brewers team ever? S.I. Article

CaribouJim
06-28-2014, 12:32 PM
http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/06/27/milwaukee-brewers-best-team-ever

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Not really fair to judge until after the season is over in my opinion... But they have a chance to be.

Nukem2
06-28-2014, 01:01 PM
1982 team was simply better along with the competition.

Gato78
06-28-2014, 01:36 PM
1982 team was the most entertaining in baseball history. I had the pleasure of cocktailing with Vukovich 2x and Gorman and several others another time--same age group. Those guys were party monsters who played baseball. Vuke at Derry's: "there isn't enough alcohol at this bar to get me drunk". He could really sock it away. I remember when Gorman was traded he was taking interviews at Ray Jackson's--at the bar. Recently went to an event where Robin Yount was telling stories about that team---they had a lot of fun. His theme was that with the money in pro sports now, there will never again be a team like the 1982 Brewers. He is probably right.

MUMac
06-28-2014, 03:23 PM
The '82 team was the best team in baseball that year. Rollie Fingers stays healthy, they win. A horrible ball call, which if called correctly would have gotten Ladd out of the inning and the Brewers go home up 2-0. A few years ago, I was listening to a celebration of Jack Buck and he interviewed Whitey Herzog. Herzog admitted the Brewers were the better team and that call changed the Series.

Goose85
06-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Impossible to afford a team like the 82 Brewers, unless you are maybe the Dodgers or Yankees. I think at one point they had two of the highest paid players in baseball in Yount and Molitor. I think after Younts contract Brett signed for more.

I do enjoy this Brewer team. Hitting, speed, starting pitching, relief, late relief, depth.

One thing the 82 Brewers had along with incredible talent, was really good team chemistry. Of course the old A's team showed you don't have to have chemistry, but it helps, and 8 think this Brewer team has that too.

DCwarrior
06-29-2014, 11:17 AM
I'd like to see some of the guys start to draw some walks...too many strike outs chasing bad pitches. I'd also like to see them pick up a left-handed hitting first baseman (James Looney) who can play good D and hit a little. It's also time to move Estrada to long relief and bring up Jimmy Nelson to replace him in the rotation.

MUfan12
06-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Estrada is way, way too HR prone to go to the bullpen.

MU88
06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
81 team was great. Strike killed them. 82 was better than this one, but the injury bug hurt them. The 92 team was probably the best in baseball at the end of the season. Midyear slump put them too far back to catch Blue Jays. The said, the combination of Bosio, Eldred and Navarro were fantastic over the second half.