PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bucks Draft

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Looks like things just got interesting at the top of the draft, with Embiid now having a foot injury lots of folks are saying he will drop down boards and the Cavs are reportedly more interested in Parker than Wiggins, with it already being known that Bucks leadership is high in Parker things could get interesting... What's everyone's thoughts on how the top 5 will shake out in the draft?

Markedman
06-19-2014, 11:58 AM
If Embiid is hurt the Cavs will take Parker or Wiggins and the Bucks will take the other.

Seems pretty clear cut

I doubt Embiid drops below 5.

Goose85
06-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Depending on the severity of the foot injury, Embiid could still go #1. I wonder if the Sixers at #3 will try to move up to make sure they get Wiggins.

Sounds like no more workouts for Embiid.

Bucks are in a great spot as they will get either Parker or Wiggins. I go back and forth on those two.

DCwarrior
06-19-2014, 12:17 PM
I still think Parker is the 2nd coming of Glenn Robinson -- very good scorer (inside and out), but poor on defense and not very athletic. In other words, a marginal all-star type player for a few years but not a franchise changer. He's the safer bet, but the Bucks have to gamble if they want to get a shot at success. I would take the higher upside in Wiggins (or even Exum) and hope they reach their potential.

mufan2003
06-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Embiid's advisor, is quoted in the ESPN article saying that he is not sure Embiid broke his foot, just that he hurt it. Embiid was supposed to work out late this week for the Bucks. Hmmmm. Now maybe it is purely coincidence he injured his foot right before a scheduled workout for the Bucks. That being said, I am sure Mbah a Moute does not want to see the guy he mentors end up in Milwaukee.

mufan2003
06-19-2014, 01:21 PM
I hope Cleveland holds on to their delusional belief that LeBron will return to Cleveland. That would slot Lebron as the 3 and have Cleveland taking Embiid or Wiggins as the SG. Jabari Parker is the most NBA ready, but that also does not preclude him from having a lot of potential to get better. He is only 19 and already has great offensive skills. He is nowhere near comparable to Glenn Robinson. Glenn lacked dribbling skills. Jabari Parker at 19 can take the ball coast-to-coast with either hand and finish. He may not be as athletic as Wiggins, but Wiggins is freakishly athletic.

Nukem2
06-19-2014, 01:38 PM
I hope Cleveland holds on to their delusional belief that LeBron will return to Cleveland. That would slot Lebron as the 3 and have Cleveland taking Embiid or Wiggins as the SG. Jabari Parker is the most NBA ready, but that also does not preclude him from having a lot of potential to get better. He is only 19 and already has great offensive skills. He is nowhere near comparable to Glenn Robinson. Glenn lacked dribbling skills. Jabari Parker at 19 can take the ball coast-to-coast with either hand and finish. He may not be as athletic as Wiggins, but Wiggins is freakishly athletic.
Yeah, Parker is more of a smooth athlete than Robinson who was more of a bull.

Markedman
06-19-2014, 02:56 PM
The more I read about this latest injury the more I think Embiid could slide out of the top 5. No way he goes first now.

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 6m
More
Several medical experts have described Embiid's type of injury to me as serious. Say navicular bone is the slowest healing in the body

TheSultan
06-19-2014, 03:09 PM
I don't think Embiid is worth any thing more than a mid-first round pick. Injury prone big men generally don't stop being injury prone.

Goose85
06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Sounds like Embiid is going to have surgery on the foot. Does that change things. How far does he slide?

If the Sixers really want Wiggins, looks like they will need to make a trade with the Cavs. So glad the Bucks have #2 so they will get Wiggins or Parker. Pick number 4 is not looking so good right now.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/joel-embiid-is-hurt-and-the-draft-is-descending-into-chaos/

KMWTRUCKS
06-19-2014, 04:49 PM
actually pick #3 does not look that good right now.

Nukem2
06-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Is this draft really that good. Embiid is a huge question, Wiggins talks a lot and is inconsistent, Parker's defense is a huge question, Exum is a true unknown, etc.

KMWTRUCKS
06-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Anthony bennett was the #1 pick last year.

Goose85
06-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Anthony bennett was the #1 pick last year.

I think in addition to the big 3 or 4 (Parker, Wiggins, Embiid, Exum) guys like Randall, Vonleh, and Smart would have been the first pick last year. Most scouts see this year as being a very good year, and not just fans who hope it is because the Bucks have pick #2 (ha).

TedBaxter
06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman 28m

ESPN's Chad Ford writes a source told him Jabari Parker may have "tanked" his workout in Cleveland because he prefers to play in Milwaukee.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Gonna be a crazy few days of rumors and such... I don't know why, but my gut tells me that Wiggins won't pan out... That said my gut also told me that Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be any good either... I guess that's why I'm an account manager and not a scout.

MUAlphaBangura
06-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman 28m

ESPN's Chad Ford writes a source told him Jabari Parker may have "tanked" his workout in Cleveland because he prefers to play in Milwaukee.

I know it's all relative, but imagine that, someone actually wants to be in Milwaukee! :cool: Would be interesting to get Wojo's take if he thinks Jabari would do something like that. These next few days are going to be awesome reading all the speculation and rumors!

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Well he didn't exactly say he wants to stay in Milwaukee, just prefers Milwaukee over Cleveland... But that's not exactly a resounding statement for Milwaukee.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-23-2014, 01:32 PM
With that being said, what a lot of high level folks may not know is that Milwaukee has three things going for it, 1.) it's close to Chicago and his family, 2.) Wojo is here and there is an obvious comfort level there 3.) his good friend Steve Taylor is currently in Milwaukee... Those three things can't be understated for a guy going through a huge transition in his life.

MUAlphaBangura
06-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Well he didn't exactly say he wants to stay in Milwaukee, just prefers Milwaukee over Cleveland... But that's not exactly a resounding statement for Milwaukee.

Hence the "It's all relative" and ":cool:".

Goose85
06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
This could be a real intersting few days for Milwaukee and Bucks fans - and an exciting time too.

The Bucks have the #2 pick. With Embiid's injury, the top two slots in this draft will get plenty of offers.

There are other intersting options too, now that guys like Melo are opting out of their deals.
If the Bulls are targeting Melo, do they want both firsts / Boozer?
Would the Bulls take two seconds for one of their firsts? Or even for two firsts and Boozer for a protected future #1 and some seconds?

Does someone trade a late first rounder for Illyasova (can't remember where I read that one)?

Would someone move a player and a first to free cap space for a couple second round picks and a player?

Do the Kings really want Knight? Would Knight and a second or two be worth a first rounder?

If Parker goes #1, does Philly really want to move up to #2 to get Wiggins? If so, how valuable is moving up one slot.

I hope the Bucks stay at #2 and take Parker or Wiggins, but I wouldn't doubt if there is some dealing to gain other first round picks.

The trading of value for cap space is what could really make this interesting for the Bucks.

TheSultan
06-23-2014, 01:48 PM
There are other intersting options too, now that guys like Melo are opting out of their deals.
If the Bulls are targeting Melo, do they want both firsts / Boozer?
Would the Bulls take two seconds for one of their firsts? Or even for two firsts and Boozer for a protected future #1 and some seconds?

Actually the Bulls are talking about moving up.

And they don't need to trade Boozer to get rid of his cap hit...he can still be amnestied.

Goose85
06-23-2014, 02:06 PM
I forgot about that whole amnesty deal in the NBA.

TheSultan
06-23-2014, 02:09 PM
I forgot about that whole amnesty deal in the NBA.

Yeah, there are only two contracts left that fall under that...Boozer and Kendrick Perkins.

MUMac
06-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Yeah, there are only two contracts left that fall under that...Boozer and Kendrick Perkins.

There are a few more that fall under the amnesty clause, but those are the two that would be likely candidates.

TheSultan
06-23-2014, 02:33 PM
There are a few more that fall under the amnesty clause, but those are the two that would be likely candidates.

Yep. Obviously had wrong information...

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/amnesty_eligible

Something tells me they won't be using it on Kevin Durant.

MUMac
06-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Yep. Obviously had wrong information...

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/amnesty_eligible

Something tells me they won't be using it on Kevin Durant.

Or Tony Parker. Most on that list are safe. Boozer and Kendricks have been the most speculated, though I read somewhere that OKC said they would not amnesty Kendricks.

CaribouJim
06-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Here are some scouts (aka "Finch) pulse on the draft - interesting. Couple examples:

Aaron Craft, 6-2 point guard, Ohio State: "Great college career, wonderful human being, but OK, end of story. He's not an NBA player."

Doug McDermott, 6-8 forward, Creighton. "He's going to be better than people think. People talk about footspeed and who he's going to guard, but when a guy is as skilled offensively as this kid is, you'll find a spot for him. Will he be a liability defensively? Maybe, but he's going to punish you at the other end. I don't think he'll score in as many ways as he did in college. He'll be more of a spotup shooter, but he does that at an incredible level."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140623/nba-draft-scouts-top-54-players-andrew-wiggins-jabari-parker-joel-embiid/?eref=sihp

bergamont
06-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Caribou---pls put that info on Dodds board regarding McDermott so Murf can go nuts.

CaribouJim
06-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Caribou---pls put that info on Dodds board regarding McDermott so Murf can go nuts.

Will do! He needs to pat himself on the back on a regular basis.