PDA

View Full Version : Travis Diener now on MU staff

IWB
06-11-2014, 11:03 AM
In a tweet Steve Wojiechowski announced the addition of Travis to the staff as the Director of Player Development.

Great move for both MU and for Travis.

Welcome Travis and his wife Rosie back to MU along with their two daughters.
(wife is former Marquette cheerleader Rosamaria Niggliaccio) sp?

http://youtu.be/oxvi_kQiOKQ

dubs98
06-11-2014, 12:14 PM
so fired up to have travis back at MU. Absolutely awesome

mufan2003
06-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Awesome news. Welcome back Travis!

IWB
06-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Press Release from Scott Kuykendall.....

For Immediate Release

Travis Diener Joins Marquette Men’s Basketball Staff

Former All-American Returns To MU After Successful Professional Career

Milwaukee – Travis Diener, one of the top players in the storied history of the Marquette University men’s basketball program, has joined the staff as Director of Player Personnel, first-year head coach Steve Wojciechowski announced Wednesday morning.

Diener, who recently completed his professional career in Italy with a playoff appearance in the country’s top division, is the final full-time staff member to be hired by Wojciechowski.

“Travis has a unique and special place among the many great players here at Marquette and represents what we want our program, and the young men who wear the proud Marquette jersey, to be about on all levels,” Wojciechowski said. “He adds tremendous value to the program, school and already terrific staff.”

Diener’s career at Marquette was highlighted by the program’s 2003 Final Four run under head coach Tom Crean. He was an All-Conference USA performer each of his four seasons with the Golden Eagles and a Honorable Mention All-America honoree as a senior in 2004-05 by the Associated Press. He ranks sixth all-time at Marquette in scoring (1,691 points), second in 3-pointers made (284), third in assists (617) and ninth in steals (158). He is a member of the M Club Hall of fame as both an individual and a member of the 2003 Final Four roster.

“I am excited to be coming back where it all began for me,” Diener said. “I am extremely humbled that Coach Wojciechowski thinks highly enough of me to give me this opportunity as I start the next chapter in my life and more importantly come back to the place that means so much to me and my family.”

The Fond du Lac, Wis., native was drafted 38th overall by the Orlando Magic in the 2005 National Basketball Association (NBA) draft and played a total of five seasons in the league with the Magic, Indiana Pacers and Portland Trail Blazers. His most productive season came in 2007-08 with the Pacers when he averaged 6.9 points and 3.8 assists per game in 66 appearances (21 starts).

Diener has been playing professionally in Italy’s top division since the 2010-11 campaign, helping lead Dinamo Sassari to the playoffs in each of his four seasons. During a run to the league tournament semifinals in 2013-14, the squad won the Italian Cup and Diener was tabbed the event’s most valuable player. He helped his program to a runner-up finish in 2012-13 and has also seen action with the Italian national team after gaining citizenship in 2012.

Diener joins Chris Carrawell (Duke, 2000), Justin Gainey (NC State, 2000), Brett Nelson (Florida, 2003) and Steve Wojciechowski, 1998) on the Marquette staff and gives the Golden Eagles as talented a group of former collegiate guards as any program in the nation. Along with multiple All-America and all-league accolades, the group combined for 5,986 points, 2,134 assists and 685 steals in 609 career games.

Phantom Warrior
06-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Travis is definitely one of my top five all-time favorites among MU players.

I am guessing/hoping that he will spend a fair amount of time on the court challenging the likes of Carlino, Derrick, and Duane in scrimmages (and NN down the road).

One thing I'm fairly certain of - TD will not be a dime-a-dozen member of the staff.

ge1974
06-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Welcome back Travis. Here's hoping you can bring in a tall, immediately eligible big man from Italy for this upcoming season. :)

MU Viking
06-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Travis has to be one of my top 3 favorites all-time at Marquette. Pound for pound, has anyone been tougher or grittier in MU history? He is a tenacious winner. Great hire.

pbiflyer
06-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Am I happy he's back? Is he one of my favorite players?

I don't know. Let me go ask my son........Travis. ;)

MU/Panther
06-11-2014, 07:40 PM
I loved Travis and Wade in the 19 point comeback win at Louisville in 2003.

Gato78
06-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Does this mean the pregame ritual of about 20 posters buying Bob Diener a beer is back?

IWB
06-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Does this mean the pregame ritual of about 20 posters buying Bob Diener a beer is back?

#DoneDeal

AlexJesswein
06-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Any chance Travis plays in the Pro Am?

warriorfan4life
06-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Any chance Travis plays in the Pro Am?

Unfortunately cannot participate as an MU staff member.