PDA

View Full Version : Calipari contract extension

Markedman
06-05-2014, 06:37 PM
So I know the conventional wisdom is that Cal will eventually bolt UK for the NBA but he has a pretty good thing going.

Why go to the grind of the NBA where you are at the mercy of the GM and the draft to get good players when you can coach at Kentucky and select 5 or 6 of the top 20 kids every year....and get paid more then most NBA coaches?

Flirt with the NBA a little....get more money.....coach 35 games instead of 82 plus the playoffs.....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24581575/john-calipari-signs-seven-year-deal-worth-52-million-with-kentucky

Nukem2
06-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Yep, Cal has it good. Why do the NBA stuff.

MUMac
06-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Yep, Cal has it good. Why do the NBA stuff.

Ego.

Nukem2
06-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Ego.
He is a god in KY, FBOW...

MUMac
06-05-2014, 08:50 PM
He is a god in KY, FBOW...

Doesn't matter. The NBA is the elite level. That is where the best play and the best want to coach. Whether you, or I, would do it does not matter. How many "gods" left for other opportunities? How many "gods" left for the NBA?

TheSultan
06-05-2014, 09:01 PM
You don't have to deal with recruiting. You don't have to deal with eligibility. You don't have to deal with boosters. You just coach basketball.

Some people don't want to do that however.

Nukem2
06-05-2014, 09:12 PM
You don't have to deal with recruiting. You don't have to deal with eligibility. You don't have to deal with boosters. You just coach basketball.

Some people don't want to do that however.
In Cal's case, recruiting is no problem. Just reach out. Eligibility? Well, most are one and done. Boosters? They are climbing all over Cal. And, he just coaches while the kids are living in a palace. Salary? More than virtually all NBA coaches. Why would he leave as the KY folks treat him as the Cats Paws? Slimy, maybe, probably. But why give it up?

MUMac
06-06-2014, 08:05 AM
In Cal's case, recruiting is no problem. Just reach out. Eligibility? Well, most are one and done. Boosters? They are climbing all over Cal. And, he just coaches while the kids are living in a palace. Salary? More than virtually all NBA coaches. Why would he leave as the KY folks treat him as the Cats Paws? Slimy, maybe, probably. But why give it up?

You were given the answers. Whether they matter to you is not important. But, hey, you are right. No coach who had it all at Kentucky ever left for the NBA ... :rolleyes:

TheSultan
06-06-2014, 08:29 AM

I was speaking in general terms, but....

Calipari has to recruit. It takes work. Just because he has been successful doesn't mean it's easy. And many UK players aren't one and done. And if Cal slips, UK boosters will be upset.

You make it sounds as if Kentucky is an easy job. It isn't. Cal is very good at what he does.

Relative to expectations it might be one of the harder jobs in the country.

Mucrisco
06-06-2014, 08:53 AM
I would say that the two biggest reasons are that the NBA is the only place that you don't have to deal with parents and the NBA is truly just about the X's and O's. Parents are a huge problem. I find myself coaching the parents more than I am the kids. I just had a meeting recently and told them,"Cut it out. This isn't about you guys. This is about the kids." I said it before and I will say it again. When did youth sports stop being about the kids and start being about the parents? Another coach told me that he was talking with his buddy, a recent former Milwaukee Buck who said,"If you are tired dealing with the parents, then go coach in the NBA. That is the only place you don't have to deal with parents." Sign me up for that. If only it was that easy to get an NBA job...

As a college coach, you have to deal with so much. Sure, the boosters might be all over you. But you still have to schmooze them. You still have to be the face of your University. You still have to raise money. And even though recruits do come to you, you still have to show your face at places and call them up on the phone. When you are dealing with recruits, you are dealing with their parents.

You go to the NBA and you concentrate on the X's and O's. A big reason why college coaches fail at that level is because they are not as good in the X's and O's. NBA coaches have them beat because that's all they have to worry about. That's why I think Brad Stevens will do well in the NBA. He has an NBA demeanor. He doesn't have to scream at you or control you. He wants to beat you through his strategy. I'm sure he loves just dealing with the X's and O's.

Nukem2
06-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Obviously Calipari disagrees with you guys. As for the NBA, he has been there and done that. Unless you get a team with a LeBron, Michael Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, Durant,etc., etc the coach is probably spinning his wheels and suffering through an 82 game schedule with much travel. To each his own.

In the meantime, Cal is enjoying life until the NBA Players Association agrees to a different draft eligibility setup.

79warrior
06-06-2014, 09:55 AM
I was speaking in general terms, but....

Calipari has to recruit. It takes work. Just because he has been successful doesn't mean it's easy. And many UK players aren't one and done. And if Cal slips, UK boosters will be upset.

You make it sounds as if Kentucky is an easy job. It isn't. Cal is very good at what he does.

Relative to expectations it might be one of the harder jobs in the country.

Agree. Ketucky is a very tough gig. They expect Final four runs all the time, which is a tall task. Fall short and the fans base goes nuts.

On the other hand, not many NBA teams will pay a coach 52 million.

MUMac
06-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Obviously Calipari disagrees with you guys. As for the NBA, he has been there and done that. Unless you get a team with a LeBron, Michael Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, Durant,etc., etc the coach is probably spinning his wheels and suffering through an 82 game schedule with much travel. To each his own.

In the meantime, Cal is enjoying life until the NBA Players Association agrees to a different draft eligibility setup.

How does he disagree? Because he signed an extension? IWB mentioned on this board that he seriously considered a gig last year. So, yeah, if it makes your day, he disagrees with us. :rolleyes:

Nukem2
06-06-2014, 10:40 AM
How does he disagree? Because he signed an extension? IWB mentioned on this board that he seriously considered a gig last year. So, yeah, if it makes your day, he disagrees with us. :rolleyes:Just a contrarian view. Most NBA HC jobs are not very good gigs other than the $$$. Just my view. :rolleyes: