8 - The Pit - New Mexico
7 - Assembly Hall - Indiana
6 -Phog Allen Fieldhouse - Kansas
5 - Rupp Arena - Kentucky
4 - Kohl Center - Wisconsin
3 - Hilton Coliseum - Iowa State
2 - Breslin Center - Michigan State
1 - Cameron Indoor - Duke

Not really too many surprises on this list, but Kohl Center at #4? One of the reasons listed for Wisconsin says, "The fans aren't always loud, but when Wisconsin needs a big defensive stop or is playing well, the crowd is deafening." Really? The fans aren't always loud? Wouldn't that eliminate them?

MUMac
06-04-2014, 11:01 AM
10 Most Intimidating College Arenas....

10 - McCarthy Athletic Center - Gonzaga
9 - Carrier Dome - Syracuse
8 - The Pit - New Mexico
7 - Assembly Hall - Indiana
6 -Phog Allen Fieldhouse - Kansas
5 - Rupp Arena - Kentucky
4 - Kohl Center - Wisconsin
3 - Hilton Coliseum - Iowa State
2 - Breslin Center - Michigan State
1 - Cameron Indoor - Duke

Not really too many surprises on this list, but Kohl Center at #4? One of the reasons listed for Wisconsin says, "The fans aren't always loud, but when Wisconsin needs a big defensive stop or is playing well, the crowd is deafening." Really? The fans aren't always loud? Wouldn't that eliminate them?

I thought years ago that the Kohl Center was loud. It has not been that way, though, for many, many years. I think they are either bored to death with the style of play, too old to make any noise or somewhat complacent. They had, at one time, a very impressive home win/loss record. Still impressive, but not as impressive. That may be why they are on the list.

CaribouJim
06-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I wonder how MU's Big East home record compared to SU's during the '05-'06 thru '12-'13 window. SU had a couple rocky years in there.

TedBaxter
06-04-2014, 12:24 PM
The Kohl Center isn't nearly as loud as it was 10 plus years ago. As MUMac points out, their season ticket fan base is getting older and somewhat complacent.

MUfan12
06-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Hilton and Phog Allen are at the top of my list. Duke ain't what it was. The Kohl Hole being on that list is laughable.

Nukem2
06-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Bucky generally tends to shoot much better at the Kohl Center. suspect that has much more to do with their success there than the crowd. ( Of course, Bo tends to intimidate the refs there as well...:rolleyes: )

Mucrisco
06-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Where did this list come from?

MU/Panther
06-04-2014, 12:46 PM
I can't believe the Arizona Wildcats home court of the McKale Center is not on the list. Plus, I would say Charles Koch Arena, home of Wichita State.

TheSultan
06-04-2014, 12:48 PM
I don't think Assembly Hall is all that intimidating either.

I have been in the Kohl Center when it has been REALLY loud. And it is loud. It just doesn't happen all that often.

I would think the Carrier Dome is intimidating just because of its size.

Utah State's Smith Center is supposed to be a b*tch to play in.

Mucrisco
06-04-2014, 12:53 PM
I would agree with Wichita State. That atmosphere is awesome.

The Reptile
06-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Hilton and Phog Allen are at the top of my list. Duke ain't what it was. The Kohl Hole being on that list is laughable.

My brother and his family came to visit me in Raleigh this past weekend. They wanted to visit the Duke campus so we took them and spent the day there. There was an event going on at Cameron related to basketball. We got to go in and check things out for a while before we were asked to leave. What you cannot understand is how truly compact the whole arena is. You have the bleachers for students down low and the seats above it rising high at a steep angle. It doesn't take much to picture it filled with fans (because it doesn't take many) and totally rocking the place. It really is the kind of place you have to see in person in order to get. Between that and the small lawn outside where the students camp out for tickets and you get a picture of the basketball culture at Duke.

MU88
06-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Duke is a well-kept, old style arena. Its nice. Very small. Clearly, its the crowd that makes it special.

Hilton is okay. There is nothing special about the building. Again, when packed, it has a great atmosphere. But, I have been there during a rivalry game and I can't say that it is any better than any other packed arena. I have been behind the bench at Hilton and Carver-Hawkeye, and C-H seems louder. I think its below ground construction is probably the reason. Although never there, I can see The Pitt being a very loud venue.

I have probably seen games in maybe 50 arenas, maybe more, maybe less. Very few are impressive. The new ones are cold. They old ones are dumpy. The arena at the University of Hawaii has an overpowering smell of garlic due to the garlic fries. The Dunkin Donuts Center reminds me of a Dunkin Donuts store after the late night rush. Dirty and dark. The Verizon Center has funky colors, but it is cold and sterile.

What makes a good experience is the crowd and the game. If the reporters only visit to the BC was to MU play Pitt when Kinsella hit those threes, the BC would be on the list. On the other hand, if the reporters only visit to Hilton was a 50 blowout of Drake or a regular beatdown from Kansas, I would guess Hilton would be off the list.

IWB
06-05-2014, 06:23 PM
In my mind one thing that hurts MU as far as game atmosphere goes is the fact that going to an MU game is more of a "night out" for many people. You go to any of those stadiums listed, and everyone is dressed in the school colors. Duke - the entire place is blue and white, Hilton - maroon and gold, MSU - green and white. At MU, even when they have a "gold out", less than half of the people there wear gold. It may not seem like a big deal, but it does add to the atmosphere. It gives it more of a 'game-day' feel and it livens up the crowd, and when the atmosphere is alive - the whole place changes.

Also, as Ted likes to point out, people spend more time socializing at MU games than paying attention to the game. If they would darken the areas around the court and not let people return in mass numbers after the second half has started, it may change things a bit.

CaribouJim
06-05-2014, 10:12 PM
In my mind one thing that hurts MU as far as game atmosphere goes is the fact that going to an MU game is more of a "night out" for many people. You go to any of those stadiums listed, and everyone is dressed in the school colors. Duke - the entire place is blue and white, Hilton - maroon and gold, MSU - green and white. At MU, even when they have a "gold out", less than half of the people there wear gold. It may not seem like a big deal, but it does add to the atmosphere. It gives it more of a 'game-day' feel and it livens up the crowd, and when the atmosphere is alive - the whole place changes.

Also, as Ted likes to point out, people spend more time socializing at MU games than paying attention to the game. If they would darken the areas around the court and not let people return in mass numbers after the second half has started, it may change things a bit.

Overall, an MU game experience is tough to beat IMO. Tons of choices within walking distance as far as bars and restaurants both before and after the game. For the students, the BC is not that far a walk at all. For the actual game, I really like the BC as a facility. Decent food choices and enough beer only vendors so you are not waiting too long. And the place is always spotless.

Not having folks on the same page during a gold out doesn't bug me too much so long as at least the students are wearing the gold and that EVERYONE is making noise and not choreographed noise like Duke has with the waving hand thing while jumping up and down. I think that is lame and it would seem that it would become white noise for oppenents. Kind of like being at the plate knowing that a fastball is coming EVERY pitch.

The loudest sustained noise I've experienced at an MU game was the UCONN loss when DJ got hurt. MU almost pulled it out - such a hyper-paced game. The Novak game against UCONN was pretty crazy too as was the Pitt game MU needed to win when Jerel was out - the Kinsella game that was previously mentioned in this thread.

IWB
06-06-2014, 01:16 AM
Caribou - I agree in the grand scheme of things the gold etc does not matter, but when comparing the atmosphere to other arenas, that does come in to play if you are a neutral fan.

Mucrisco
06-06-2014, 08:21 AM
I think that an MU game is a social thing for a large portion of our fans. So many of my friends never went to a Marquette game when we were in school. Only a handful of them were faithful and I am friends with a ton of sports fans. Only a handful of us waited in line to get in the game when it finally became general admission. After college, most everyone makes it to a game at least once a year, even if you are a sports fan or not. It became a way where we can get together and act like we were in college again. During halftime, you see a ton of random people that you haven't seen in while, so you end up catching up. Or, you see friends that don't have seats by you and aren't able to get to the bar before or after the game so you chat with them for a while. I personally don't do that, but for many of my friends, that's what happens. When I do go to the bathroom or get food at halftime, that's what happens to me too. It's unavoidable.

However, we were there for the Deane years and the start of the Crean years. I would think that with the more recent alum, who actually did go to the games when they were students, are more there to see the games. Sure, they will end up socializing too, but their mentality is probably different.