PDA

View Full Version : Seton Hall above .500?

Goose85
05-20-2014, 09:40 AM
When you think Seton Hall basketball you think Big East bottom tier type team.

With the exception of 2010 when the Hall was 9-9, Seton Hall has been a below .500 in conference consistently. The last time Seton Hall was above .500 was 2006, with a 9-7 record. That was MU's first year in the Big East.

Could this be the year Seton Hall moves above that .500 line in conference play?
If Willard can coach, it looks like he will have some real talent on the squad.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/seton-hall-adds-sixth-commit-in-michael-nezi/#more-116184

Nukem2
05-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Willard can coach. SHU's problem recently has been more about injuries.

Phantom Warrior
05-20-2014, 10:34 AM
SHU could be in the middle of the league this year. Yes, Willard is bringing in a highly-rated class. However, the program is also losing a lot of talent/productivity. Losing Auda would simply add to the severity of the losses.

The Pirates are losing Fuquan Edward, their leading scorer (14.5 ppg) and an excellent defender. They are losing their premier post player and best rebounder (7.9 rpg), Teague. They are losing their best outside shooter, Oliver (41.5% on treys). They are losing a serviceable back-up big man, Geramipoor. And now they would lose a pretty solid power forward in Auda. That's five veterans, four of whom were in their regular rotation. Combined the five accounted for 48 ppg and 21 rpg in 117 mpg. That is a lot to lose.

SHU does return Gibbs, a productive point guard, Mobley, and Sina, a trio that averaged 26.8 ppg. But that won't be enough to get over .500, I don't think

I can see SHU fighting out it for fifth or sixth in the conference. But, overall, they will be extremely young. I can very easily see them finishing seventh. If Willard can keep the incoming class in tact through its junior season, then I can envision SHU being a contender, but not next year. Above .500 next year is possible, but I figure 9-9 or 8-10 is more likely, maybe even 7-11.

MUBasketball
05-20-2014, 11:40 AM
The Pirates are losing Fuquan Edward, their leading scorer (14.5 ppg) and an excellent defender.

One of my all-time favorite players. Don't know why, loved that guy.

The Hall is bringing in talent, but as mentioned not sure how good they'll be as they will be very young. This class is coming in a year too late. If they can string together one or two more of these types of classes consecutively, they'll start to get things rolling.