PDA

View Full Version : UMass and SunBelt discussing "Football Only Membership"

CaribouJim
05-15-2014, 12:18 PM
http://college-football.si.com/2014/05/14/umass-sun-belt-conference-realignment/

Interesting...

TheSultan
05-15-2014, 12:22 PM
So we could "enjoy" a conference game between Idaho and UMass in the future. The Sun Belt has basically become the home for football programs that no one else wants. (Idaho, New Mexico State and UMass.)

CaribouJim
05-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Why in God's name do you jump to the conclusion that "we" as in MU and the Big East "could enjoy a conference game between Idaho and UMass"???

TheSultan
05-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Why in God's name do you jump to the conclusion that "we" as in MU and the Big East "could enjoy a conference game between Idaho and UMass"???

I put "enjoy" in quotes for a reason.

CaribouJim
05-15-2014, 12:42 PM
You obviously totally missed the point of my post. In any event, never mind.

MUFLA
05-15-2014, 01:51 PM
You obviously totally missed the point of my post. In any event, never mind.

Very interesting. UMass would be a nice add--probably would make many of the founding big east schools happy.

MU/Panther
05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
The AAC doesn't want UMass.

TheSultan
05-15-2014, 02:12 PM
UMass has had their football team parked in the MAC for a number of years. The MAC gave them an ultimatum that they needed to join for all sports, they refused, were booted, and had to find a home for their football program.

So if your point was that they could now join the BE for their other sports, nothing has really changed in that regard from previous years.

unclejohn
05-15-2014, 08:01 PM
New Mexico and Idaho are former members of the Sunbelt. Idaho moved there when they went D-1 A or whatever, and the former Big Sky Conference did not hold together. I forget where NMSU came from, but they both went there because there was no place else to go. They both jumped to the WAC at the earliest opportunity, but the WAC eventually got eaten by the Mountain West, so they have to find somewhere to play again. So back to the Sunbelt.

TheSultan
05-15-2014, 08:21 PM
New Mexico and Idaho are former members of the Sunbelt. Idaho moved there when they went D-1 A or whatever, and the former Big Sky Conference did not hold together. I forget where NMSU came from, but they both went there because there was no place else to go. They both jumped to the WAC at the earliest opportunity, but the WAC eventually got eaten by the Mountain West, so they have to find somewhere to play again. So back to the Sunbelt.

One slight correction. The Big Sky is still going as a conference, but they only offer FCS football. Idaho is rejoining them for all sports but football next year.