PDA

View Full Version : McKay

Phantom Warrior
05-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Came across this today on ESPN.

Iowa State: Jameel McKay vs. Dustin Hogue vs. Abdel Nader

Fred Hoiberg is accustomed to turnover. It’d be odd if the Cyclones' coach didn’t have some key voids to fill this offseason. Departing senior Melvin Ejim earned Big 12 Player of the Year honors in 2013-14 after a campaign that saw him average 17.8 PPG and 8.4 RPG. With Monte Morris, Naz Long and UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean-Jones, Iowa State’s backcourt should be one of the best in the Big 12. Georges Niang will be the go-to guy inside once he’s healthy again, but Hoiberg could use multiple players at the hybrid forward slot, the role that Ejim played so well last season. Hogue is more of an undersized power forward than a true small forward, but he proved his worth in the postseason. This is his spot, but McKay, a former Marquette recruit and Hogue’s former junior college teammate, has been a terror in practices for the last six months. McKay is a versatile 6-9 forward who could join Niang in Iowa State’s frontcourt but won’t be eligible until December. Nader, who led Northern Illinois with 13.1 PPG in 2012-13, will also be a candidate to contribute, but he has some offseason issues to clear up. Nader was suspended after an April incident in which he was arrested and charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He has pleaded not guilty and has a court date set for June 24.

I still can not help wondering if McKay might have been the difference in a few games last year. I also can not help asking myself was Buzz somehow the reason for his leaving. Everyone pretty much just pointed fingers at McKay when he announced he was transferring. But now I wonder if there was not more to the story. I don't know the answers to these questions, but that doesn't stop me from at least asking them.

Nukem2
05-14-2014, 07:04 PM
I agree. His Juco work showed his skills and productivity. He will be missed next year for sure. Maybe he is skinny, but he dos have a high motor. I think most on these MU boards have really underestimated his loss.

IWB
05-15-2014, 01:08 AM
The reasons of his departure are pretty well known.

Nukem2
05-15-2014, 09:16 AM
The reasons of his departure are pretty well known.
For sure, we all "know" those reasons. Luke Fischer's transfer probably more than makes up for McKay's departure. Still, it would have been interesting to see how Jameel would have turned out at MU, though not sure he would have been a good fit under Wojo. Wonder if he'll petition the NCAA for immediate eligibility for 1st semester at ISU?