PDA

View Full Version : ACC wants to be the Big East

MU/Panther
05-13-2014, 11:42 AM
ACC tourney is moving the semi-finals to Friday's and the title game to Saturday night.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10926000/acc-men-basketball-tournament-title-game-moved-saturday

MU/Panther
05-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Brand new logo

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/466255437357387776/photo/1

IWB
05-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Ok, their logo looks ugly.

So what, so they move their championship to try to steal the spotlight from the Big East by taking ESPN on that Saturday night. The Big East should say fine, we'll take that premier Selection Sunday spot.

MU/Panther
05-13-2014, 12:29 PM
If more of the power leagues are moving their title game to Saturday night, some mid-majors should move to later in the week and the title game on Sunday. We don't need to have senior days around Feb. 16th.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-13-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't think there should be any games played on Selection Sunday. Just my opinion.

IWB
05-13-2014, 01:04 PM
If more of the power leagues are moving their title game to Saturday night, some mid-majors should move to later in the week and the title game on Sunday. We don't need to have senior days around Feb. 16th.

No question that this is another attempt to throw a dagger into the Big East. The ACC loved having their title game on Sunday as it is Selection Sunday and viewership is at an all time high. The only reason why they would move back to Saturday is because the Big East is on Fox and they can crush them on ESPN. Solution? Fox needs to put the Big East title game on Fox, not FS1.

Mark Miller
05-13-2014, 01:10 PM
I could have come up with that logo in five minutes. Ridiculous.

mufan2003
05-13-2014, 01:10 PM
I think it is only a problem when the ACC tournament will be in Brooklyn. However, for the next 2 conference tournaments, the Big East will be the only conference tourney championship in NYC on Saturday night. In the years the ACC will be in NYC, maybe change the start time so the 2 do not overlap and u can get eyeballs on both championship games.

TheSultan
05-13-2014, 01:11 PM
No question that this is another attempt to throw a dagger into the Big East. The ACC loved having their title game on Sunday as it is Selection Sunday and viewership is at an all time high. The only reason why they would move back to Saturday is because the Big East is on Fox and they can crush them on ESPN. Solution? Fox needs to put the Big East title game on Fox, not FS1.

Actually the simpler answer is that ESPN asked them to move it because the AAC game is likely to be a dud ratings-wise, and now they won't have to fight against the B10 game on a Sunday afternoon.

Not sure why every move the ACC makes has to be viewed from a "they are trying to kill the Big East" lens.

Nukem2
05-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Actually the simpler answer is that ESPN asked them to move it because the AAC game is likely to be a dud ratings-wise, and now they won't have to fight against the B10 game on a Sunday afternoon.

Not sure why every move the ACC makes has to be viewed from a "they are trying to kill the Big East" lens.Not the ACC, but ESPN....?

TheSultan
05-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Not the ACC, but ESPN....?

Yes. I think ESPN is motivated to crush Fox more than the ACC is motivated to crush the BE.

MU/Panther
05-13-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't think there should be any games played on Selection Sunday. Just my opinion.So, what are we going to watch?

MU/Panther
05-13-2014, 02:29 PM
The ACC title game will turn the needle much more than the AAC or Big 12 does.

Goose85
05-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Interesting, as I think the ACC championship game had the best time slot of all.

ESPN has a real interest in seeing FS1 fail, or at the very least struggle, so I'm sure that is a big part of their thinking.
It will also allow the Big 10 to move up to the ACC time slot on Sunday so the game will be complete with a little more time for adjustments by the selection committee.
ESPN is very closely tied to the ACC, and it will really be interesting to see what will happen if FS1 puts in a good bid for the Big 10 in a couple years.

MU/Panther
05-13-2014, 03:11 PM
It will also allow the Big 10 to move up to the ACC time slot on Sunday so the game will be complete with a little more time for adjustments by the selection committee.
. The Big Ten has and still is played on CBS.

Goose85
05-13-2014, 03:25 PM
The Big Ten has and still is played on CBS.

But I think the start time is scheduled for after the ACC is normally done as the ACC has had that tourney time longer.

MU/Panther
05-13-2014, 03:33 PM
The two have nothing to do with each other.

Goose85
05-13-2014, 03:45 PM
The two have nothing to do with each other.

Other than they don't want to be televised at the same time and compete for viewership.

I don't think they have gone head to head on Sunday with their championship game, so when the Big 10 started a tournament they sloted it after the ACC, despite running close to the Selection Sunday show if the game were to go OT.

Now if the ACC moves, I'd bet the Big 10 moves to an earlier slot.

MU/Panther
05-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Could be, but the Atl-10 is slotted at noon on CBS.

Gato78
05-13-2014, 08:42 PM
If ST. John's was decent and Georgetown faced them in the finals, not so sure the ACC would have all the eyeballs. Especially if it is something like Pitt vs Fla. State. BIG EAST is building through recruiting so who knows? Give it time.

Litehouse
05-14-2014, 09:47 AM
After watching a few Yankees games this year, it's been interesting to see the Big Ten and ACC battle for advertising space at Yankee Stadium. They've each heavily advertised behind the plate and along the foul line walls. Then you throw in Syracuse's "New York's College Team" slogan they've been using recently. The 2 conferences are fighting over the NYC market.

MU/Panther
05-14-2014, 11:26 AM
After watching a few Yankees games this year, it's been interesting to see the Big Ten and ACC battle for advertising space at Yankee Stadium. They've each heavily advertised behind the plate and along the foul line walls. Then you throw in Syracuse's "New York's College Team" slogan they've been using recently. The 2 conferences are fighting over the NYC market.

Reason is the Big Ten vs ACC meet in Yankee Staudium in December for the Pinstripe Bowl.